Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award ticket via AC/YYZ w/o Canadian Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Award ticket via AC/YYZ w/o Canadian Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
If OP's friend has a visa for the USA I would try and reroute away from Canada and directly to the USA.
Yeah, that's what I'm strongly leaning towards as well, but it's a bit difficult at the moment. Availability isn't so great so I'm waiting it out. I am also wondering if a Same Day Change might be possible in this thread. Technically, it's not allowed since the first flight it AC, but apparently the app often suggests it anyway. Only thing I'm worried about is the whole (must request partner airline award changes at least 1 day before departure thing).
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Khabibul35
Yeah, that's what I'm strongly leaning towards as well, but it's a bit difficult at the moment. Availability isn't so great so I'm waiting it out. I am also wondering if a Same Day Change might be possible in this thread. Technically, it's not allowed since the first flight it AC, but apparently the app often suggests it anyway. Only thing I'm worried about is the whole (must request partner airline award changes at least 1 day before departure thing).
Have you tried calling UA and begging? What have you got to lose?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chavala
Have you tried calling UA and begging? What have you got to lose?
Waiting time were super long due to the EWR mess, but yes, that's next plan!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Unfortunately, it appears the YYZ routing is the only one available at the "saver" level. There are routings via PTY on CM, but they are pricing dynamically at 50k in Y and 90k in J. Check out the fare buckets . . . this must be an error, no?

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If I can quote Marlon Brando, "the horror....the horror".
Joseph Conrad
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Khabibul35
SDC doesn't help you at all if there is no availability.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Check out the fare buckets . . . this must be an error, no?
IIRC Copa awards usually book into revenue classes (maybe not those ones, but who knows with dynamic awards), but I'm not very familiar.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:33 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Indeed Peruvians need visa in advance even for transit (and right now appointments are scarse and it takes usually 2 weeks so it's not happening). Unfortunately you'll have to refund or reissue somehow...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Check out the fare buckets . . . this must be an error, no?

Presumably G and P are award fares in CM's system. After all, award tickets always use the naive flight codes and fare bases. Here's a list of CM's "letters" which conspicuously leaves out G and P. The fact that UA doesn't award any credit to F, G, P, I, N, X, Z also supports my assertion.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Presumably G and P are award fares in CM's system.
CM award buckets are X and I, just like every other *A carrier. It may be that CM also makes G and P available for dynamic awards.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
My gf is Panamanian and we flew through YYZ to get to Europe last year. She got a transit visa (allowing 2 visits) and the process took pretty much 1 month. She was approved quickly, but then the passport needed to be sent to Mexico to get the actual visa (no Canadian embassy in Panama)

This year she got a full visitor visa and the process took about 5-6 weeks as she had to get biometrics done. I believe you need this for the transit visa now also. Again she was approved pretty quickly, but the biometrics appointment took an extra week. Then once approved (took a week) the passport needed to be sent again to Mexico to get the visa

If there is an embassy in Peru, it might be quicker for your friend

CM award buckets are X and I, just like every other *A carrier. It may be that CM also makes G and P available for dynamic awards.
I & X are saver. G is standard economy award on CM & P is standard business award on CM
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:50 am
Original Poster

So, I called United and it was very frustrating procedure. All in all, 3 calls that lasted 3 hours altogether. During the first call, the hold time was 20 mins, but when I did get an agent, he confirmed no go on traveling via Canada but seemed very sympathetic and was talking to a supervisor about opening award space. He put me on hold for 20 minutes and then he had a supervisor "working on my case" and that he's trying his hardest to sort it out. However, 10 minutes later the call dropped from their end. I don't know what happened. So, 50 minutes were wasted. So, I called again with a hold time of 30 minutes and this time the agent was clueless and spoke very poor English. I asked her if the previous agent left some notes or something and she said no. Asking her about opening award availability or even explaining the visa thing - so I just hung up, called again. Again, hold time was 30 minutes. The agent was again pretty clueless, but seemed to be trying. However, every time I asked about opening award space, she said she'd call a supervisor, but seemed to instead come back with policies that "it's impossible". I was about to hang up, but then she mentioned redepositing the miles as an alternative possibility. I really didn't want to do this, but I was getting frustrated with the phone calls, so I asked if they'd at least waive the redeposit fee in this situation. This time, she was able to get approval from a supervisor. That call lasted more than 1.5 hours but at least it's done.

Anyway, I guess now I'll just try to check back daily and hope some award space opens up in the coming days. Not ideal, but doable. Thanks for the advice!

tl;dr - 3 calls later, lots of frustration, but in the end decided to re-deposit miles and search for last minute award availability.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Assume you've already seen this, but UA is available via EWR the 15th in business class to EWR and economy EWR-SFO, 35k miles. Tuesday Avianca is available via BOG and IAH but the layovers are horrendous, all in Economy.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
15th July: LIM-EWR-BOS-SFO all in J. 3 hour 40 min connection (in Polaris lounge I believe) & 8 hour connection

35K Miles. 1 ticket left

-----
EDIT
------

If you only have enough points (or only want to spend) 20K, then 16th July: LIM-BOG-PTY-SFO all in Y. 4 hour connection & 3 hour connection

Lots of 35K all J redemptions on the 16th & 17th, most involve Copa & UA (eg LIM-PTY-CUN-SFO). I would still pick the 15th one listed above for the product, and your friend can go sightseeing around Boston during that connection

Last edited by pmarrsouth; Jul 14, 2019 at 5:35 am
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
@Khabibul35
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:54 am
Original Poster

@onthesam, I didn't end up logging into see your post, but that first option is exactly the flight I ended up booking! I did have to pay at $75 close-in fee, which I guess would have been nice to avoid, but it's better than nothing!

Thanks for trying to help out.
onthesam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.