Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Maui Wildfire -- 11 July 2019 - UA's OGG operations affected

Old Jul 12, 19, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

OGG was closed for a good portion of this evening due to a large wildfire on the island. Most flights were diverted to other island airports.

United Airlines has canceled all flights out of Maui tonight (except UA 1430 to Denver). All stranded United Airlines passengers are being directed to report to the shelter at the War Memorial Gymnasium.

I'm curious to hear what its like for passengers trapped on Maui who need to overnight at a shelter. I imagine the Red Cross is helping United passengers.

As of last check, it was impossible to get from the OGG area to the Kihei resorts.
Old Jul 12, 19, 2:37 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
Just curious: why shelter? Not enough hotel rooms?
Old Jul 12, 19, 7:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Best details here: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/0...ety-evacuates/
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Looks like OGG-DEN diverted to SFO after a ~2 hour delayed departure. Would be interesting to know why.
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:08 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Glad Oprah had that spare road she could open up to let people flee. It’s even better that “You get a car!” day.
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus View Post
Just curious: why shelter? Not enough hotel rooms?
The fire was between the airport and most of the hotels in Maui. So if someone had made it to the airport, they probably weren't going to be able to make it back to a hotel.
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:22 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
The fire was between the airport and most of the hotels in Maui. So if someone had made it to the airport, they probably weren't going to be able to make it back to a hotel.
Oh, I see. I did not know the location of the fire. Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 19, 10:21 am

I know at least two OGG-bound flights (one each from SFO and LAX) were diverted to HNL. Luckily, I'm close to the north shore and was upwind of the smoke (so much it showed on radar). My neighbor was trapped on south shore in Wailea, so he spent the evening at a bar waiting for the highway to reopen.

People couldn't get to the airport from the south and (conveniently from) the west side, nor could people get from the airport to the tourist-area hotels. I say "conveniently" because one could still do the hours-long white-knuckle drive around the West Maui mountains from/to Lahaina/Kaanapali/Kapalua.
Old Jul 12, 19, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
People couldn't get to the airport from the south and (conveniently from) the west side, nor could people get from the airport to the tourist-area hotels. I say "conveniently" because one could still do the hours-long white-knuckle drive around the West Maui mountains from/to Lahaina/Kaanapali/Kapalua.
That ride is hair raising enough going from the west side to OGG. I can't imagine driving the other way on the makai side after flying in.
jsloan and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD
The fire and resulting diversions caused knock-on effects elsewhere as aircraft got stranded in various Hawaiian airports overnight. Today, UA616 and UA222, to be operated by a 753 on SFO-ORD-SFO, were cancelled.
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thesun View Post
Looks like OGG-DEN diverted to SFO after a ~2 hour delayed departure. Would be interesting to know why.
I'd guess either fuel (maybe they waited on the tarmac and when they could leave, didn't want to delay to add fuel) or crew hours.