Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HongKong - back to old business class - no Polaris?

Old Jul 11, 19, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

hi,

I am looking at Honk Kong (UA 179) for Dec 20 and I see that the seat map has reverted back to the old 8-across business class on the 777-200.

Currently the Hong Kong flights have the new Polaris seating (4 across)

Question - why is United going back to the old 8-across business class to Hong Kong? Does anyone know?
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:54 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
The default seat map for the 777-200 is the pre Polaris one, which I imagine will be the case until all have been converted. However once a plane is allocated (usually 48 hours out) youíll find out if itís a converted plane or not. As more get convicted the odds of getting on goes up.
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by zoonil View Post
.... Question - why is United going back to the old 8-across business class to Hong Kong? Does anyone know?
By Dec 2019, there will be very, very few remaining 2-4-2 772, 3-class,
23 of the 33 have been converted and 1 is in process -- so this may just be a placeholder seatmap as protection against a delay in the conversion process

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 11, 19 at 8:11 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 11, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD
IIRC EWR-HKG reverts to the pmCO 772 in the winter schedule, which has 2-2-2 Diamond seats and not 2-4-2 IPTE seats. Or at least that's what I'm seeing in mid-December and mid-January. I don't think the pmUA 772s (with IPTE seats) have the range to do EWR-HKG, especially in the winter.

As others say, there's a chance that the plane gets swapped out for a Polaris-equipped one at T-48h or so, but the chances of that would be fairly low, given that only a handful of pmCO 772s have been retrofitted.
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
HKG was one of the first markets for IPTE, and then late in the IPTE upgrade program, HKG went back to the barcaloungers while the last few planes were being retrofitted. UA could do the same thing with the Polaris upgrade, since HKG was an early market.
Old Jul 12, 19, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
HKG was one of the first markets for IPTE, and then late in the IPTE upgrade program, HKG went back to the barcaloungers while the last few planes were being retrofitted. UA could do the same thing with the Polaris upgrade, since HKG was an early market.
so much for consistency in a market
Old Jul 12, 19, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
My last few flights to HKG out of ORD have been on the pmCO 772 (March, May and July 2019). Prior to that, I was hit or miss on getting new Polaris out of ORD or the old 2-4-2