FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   I needed help. I think I got scammed (not by United) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1977723-i-needed-help-i-think-i-got-scammed-not-united.html)

Dreamliners Jul 11, 2019 2:05 pm

I needed help. I think I got scammed (not by United)

So I just bought the ticket yesterday night and then the next day I tried to cancel the reservation.
I then searched on google and dial the 1833 number which I later realize it was myflightsearch.com
and I spoke to them regarding of cancelling my flight. They told me I won't get full refund and I was
wondering why, since it's under 24 hours period, so I told then that I'll think about it. When I hung up the
phone and call United number that starts with 1866 number, the automated system couldn't find my
reservation any longer. So I went to United.com and search for my flight and it appears that the
website I called earlier have cancelled my reservation without my knowledge.

So I'm here looking for anyone who can assist me what I can do from here onward? Can I ask my CC
to dispute United charges? I paid over $1400 for the ticket and I don't know what will happen to it.
I appreciated for all the help.

MatthewLAX Jul 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Ask United what happened. Tell them you never authorized a cancellation. Verify if it was indeed cancelled. Maybe the indicative people you called first cancelled it for future credit, one of the options on united.com.

narvik Jul 11, 2019 2:09 pm

This would be similar to this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-center.html

findark Jul 11, 2019 2:12 pm

If you never authorized a transaction on the ticket with a third party line, it should be straightforward to dispute anything on the record as fraud, and have UA issue you a refund. It ideally shouldn't be possible for the funds to go somewhere other than original form of payment anyway - the other scams operate by charging your CC directly and then resisting any chargeback by claiming they were offering bona fide travel services.

Dreamliners Jul 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Thank you so much guys. I'll try to speak with UA representatives now.

Much appreciated.

guv1976 Jul 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamliners (Post 31293788)
So I just bought the ticket yesterday night and then the next day I tried to cancel the reservation.
I then searched on google and dial the 1833 number which I later realize it was myflightsearch.com
and I spoke to them regarding of cancelling my flight. They told me I won't get full refund and I was
wondering why, since it's under 24 hours period, so I told then that I'll think about it. When I hung up the
phone and call United number that starts with 1866 number, the automated system couldn't find my
reservation any longer. So I went to United.com and search for my flight and it appears that the
website I called earlier have cancelled my reservation without my knowledge.

So I'm here looking for anyone who can assist me what I can do from here onward? Can I ask my CC
to dispute United charges? I paid over $1400 for the ticket and I don't know what will happen to it.
I appreciated for all the help.

We're you aware that you were purchasing your ticket from a travel agent, and not directly with the airline? Perhaps the reason why you were not offered a full refund is because your travel agent charges a fee for cancelling tickets/issuing refunds.

Edited to add: Travel agents are not required to offer a free, 24-hour cancellation. From the U.S. Department of Transportation website:

"
What if I purchased or reserved my ticket through a travel agent or online travel agency?
  • The refund/reservation requirement for airlines does not apply to tickets booked through online travel agencies, travel agents, or other third-party agents. However, these agents are free to apply the same or similar procedures to provide equivalent or similar customer service."
​​​​​

swiftaw Jul 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31293863)
We're you aware that you were purchasing your ticket from a travel agent, and not directly with the airline? Perhaps the reason why you were not offered a full refund is because your travel agent charges a fee for cancelling tickets/issuing refunds.
​​​​​​

I don't think that's what happened. It sounds like he book through United, and then when he decided to cancel he googled the number and ended up calling the fake number. At least thats how it sounds from the description. Not sure why he didn't just cancel online.

guv1976 Jul 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by swiftaw (Post 31293889)
I don't think that's what happened. It sounds like he book through United, and then when he decided to cancel he googled the number and ended up calling the fake number. At least thats how it sounds from the description. Not sure why he didn't just cancel online.

OK. Perhaps the OP can clarify if he did indeed book directly with United, or if he -- perhaps inadvertently? -- purchased the ticket from a travel agent.

Often1 Jul 11, 2019 4:14 pm

This is the only thing that matters.

txaggiemiles Jul 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31293901)
OK. Perhaps the OP can clarify if he did indeed book directly with United, or if he -- perhaps inadvertently? -- purchased the ticket from a travel agent.

Originally Posted by swiftaw (Post 31293889)

Exactly. We definitely need OP to provide more info. The only thing I can think is that if he called the wrong number by mistake but then gave them OP's name & conf #, then the person on the other end could have cancelled it and taken the credit and used it. As linked above, a similar situation has happened before.

If OP booked through an online travel agency then they may be SOL.

emcampbe Jul 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31293817)
If you never authorized a transaction on the ticket with a third party line, it should be straightforward to dispute anything on the record as fraud, and have UA issue you a refund. It ideally shouldn't be possible for the funds to go somewhere other than original form of payment anyway - the other scams operate by charging your CC directly and then resisting any chargeback by claiming they were offering bona fide travel services.

it would be possible for the funds to stay in the PNR, but that is only useable by the ticket holder.

It it sounds like the initial transaction was properly authorized. What wasn’t authorized was the cancelation of the itinerary. I’m genuinely not sure what the CC would do since the transaction wasn’t fraudulent, though the cancelation was.

Is UA able to track down who actually ‘canceled’ it? I’m not so sure - maybe by IP - but since anyone with the PNR and pax last name can access the itinerary to cancel, if OP gave out that info., it could be difficult.

findark Jul 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31294382)

it would be possible for the funds to stay in the PNR, but that is only useable by the ticket holder.

It it sounds like the initial transaction was properly authorized. What wasn’t authorized was the cancelation of the itinerary. I’m genuinely not sure what the CC would do since the transaction wasn’t fraudulent, though the cancelation was.

Is UA able to track down who actually ‘canceled’ it? I’m not so sure - maybe by IP - but since anyone with the PNR and pax last name can access the itinerary to cancel, if OP gave out that info., it could be difficult.

Right, my point is I don't think the scammer could have gotten the funds away from United, so if reported to UA as fraud they should be able to take care of it.

Exec_Plat Jul 11, 2019 9:37 pm

OP.

Your credit card company will be your best course of action.

You should contest the charge, tell them an online TA 'pretended' to be UA. Due to this deceit, everything else followed. ie not being able to cancel or them charging a cancel fee, etc, etc

Be VERY concise and clear. You wanted to buy a ticket from UA, but the company that charged the card via their relationship with the credit card company, was able to defraud you. By stressing that the original sin was their pretending to be UA, they may uphold the chargeback.

GL

report back

tylerdurden4543 Jul 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 31294956)
OP.

Your credit card company will be your best course of action.

You should contest the charge, tell them an online TA 'pretended' to be UA. Due to this deceit, everything else followed. ie not being able to cancel or them charging a cancel fee, etc, etc

Be VERY concise and clear. You wanted to buy a ticket from UA, but the company that charged the card via their relationship with the credit card company, was able to defraud you. By stressing that the original sin was their pretending to be UA, they may uphold the chargeback.

GL

report back

Except we don't know that this is what happened...

The key question is who did the OP originally purchase the ticket from?

WineCountryUA Jul 11, 2019 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 (Post 31294966)
Except we don't know that this is what happened... ...

Correct, unclear if the scam TA took any money.

All the OP mentioned is the flight was canceled (inappropriately by the scam TA) and the OP did not know what happened (if anything) to the purchase funds.

And as has been mentioned, how the flight was purchased is unknown.

So for now, without information, there are no chargeback circumstances. But a number of unknowns.
But calling UA was the place to start.

Hopefully, the OP was able to get UA to re-instate the old flight or refund the purchase to the original form of payment without penalty,