Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: New York / Newark Severe Weather (July 11, 2019)

Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)​
  • New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)​
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)​
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
Rebook by July 14, 2019. Original ticket must have been purchased by: July 10, 2019

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (not yet posted): 1+

David

Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Flying EWR-YYZ on UAX today. Should be loads of fun!!!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Flying EWR-YYZ on UAX today. Should be loads of fun!!!
Only two UAX flights originally scheduled later today (after your post).
Both canceled.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by GFrye
Both canceled.
Yep, I got the great news just as I was going to pick up my luggage. Rebooked onto an AC Express flight that appears to have no economy seats left, so now I am waiting to speak to their reps about getting seats. Turning into a fantastic use of my time on a weekday...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Yep, I got the great news just as I was going to pick up my luggage. Rebooked onto an AC Express flight that appears to have no economy seats left, so now I am waiting to speak to their reps about getting seats. Turning into a fantastic use of my time on a weekday...
Don't forget that PD also serves EWR. Sometimes those Q-400s can fly in weather that would ground regional jets.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:34 pm

Flying out of ewr to Greece at 5:30. Looks like theres a break in the weather at that point. Hoping we can still take off.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Don't forget that PD also serves EWR. Sometimes those Q-400s can fly in weather that would ground regional jets.
No interest in blowing extra cash. Managed to snag the last 2 tickets on the first UA-operated EWR-YYZ tomorrow after furiously refreshing and wasting almost 45 minutes on the phone with Air Canada (they were useless...reminds me of what having no status is like). The plane's been on the ground since yesterday evening, so shouldn't end up in a situation where the inbound plane gets stuck somewhere else.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:53 pm

Curious what type of weather that would be?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
High-ceiling storm fronts (high-altitude thunderheads, etc.). The Qs fly lower.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:27 pm

No interest in blowing extra cash. Managed to snag the last 2 tickets on the first UA-operated EWR-YYZ tomorrow after furiously refreshing and wasting almost 45 minutes on the phone with Air Canada (they were useless...reminds me of what having no status is like). The plane's been on the ground since yesterday evening, so shouldn't end up in a situation where the inbound plane gets stuck somewhere else.
I was hoping that you would be able to talk United into blowing the cash by reissuing your ticket on PD.
Originally Posted by Hammer0425

Wet and slippery runways can pose less of a limitation for the Bombardier turboprops as they are designed for short take-off and landing. I have been at airports when the Bombardier turboprops go out and the commuter jets stay on the ground.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was hoping that you would be able to talk United into blowing the cash by reissuing your ticket on PD.
UA does not have an interline agreement with PD. They would have had to pay cash.

The only e-ticket interline agreement I see for PD is, oddly enough, B6. They add EK, FI, LY, and S4 for interline paper tickets, assuming ExpertFlyer is up to date.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by GFrye
Both canceled.
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA does not have an interline agreement with PD. They would have had to pay cash.

The only e-ticket interline agreement I see for PD is, oddly enough, B6. They add EK, FI, LY, and S4 for interline paper tickets, assuming ExpertFlyer is up to date.
I tried talking UA into booking me directly into J on AC (which had seats available), but no dice sadly.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:12 pm

I tried talking UA into booking me directly into J on AC (which had seats available), but no dice sadly.
I wonder if one of those fancy credit cards with the travel delay insurance would have covered a ticket on AC or PD?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:57 pm

I wonder if one of those fancy credit cards with the travel delay insurance would have covered a ticket on AC or PD?
Trip delay insurance covers costs of delays(meal, shower, room, transportation)

Getting a new ticket falls under trip interruption/cancellation.

Out of all the cc, I'm only aware of Citi prestige offering such trip interruption insurance to cover a new ticket (with huge limitations/fine print), and this benefit disappears in a few months
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
If I'm looking at this correctly, UA1022 PTY-EWR (schedule arrive 4:30pm) diverted to ORF. It took off again for EWR and then diverted back again to ORF. Still at ORF. Long day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.