Search

United 757 vs 787-8

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
United 757 vs 787-8

hi

will be flying united from SFO to IAD on July 16 in first. I dont travel first often, but special occasion with wife.

when I booked, it was on the 11pm (787-8)
for some reason they moved us to the 10:30pm (757-200)

Is the quality of the united first seat/product the same? Should I insist on moving back?

thx in advance?

Last edited by ac3000; Jul 11, 2019 at 6:04 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The seat and service will be basically the same.

However, I would slightly prefer the 787 because of the higher cabin pressure. The 757 is blocked for about 10 extra minutes flight time, if that is significant to you.

edit add: you can spend some or a lot of time looking through the following threads as well to get more ideas

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United Dreamliner 787-8

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...200-16-bf.html

Last edited by fumje; Jul 11, 2019 at 6:18 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
The seat and service will be basically the same.

However, I would slightly prefer the 787 because of the higher cabin pressure. The 757 is blocked for about 10 extra minutes flight time, if that is significant to you.
Agree with both - I would also prefer an 11pm departure for a slightly later flight. However, I would see if there's any obvious reason for the change first.

Note that if you care a lot about aisle access (you probably don't traveling with a companion on a short red-eye), only the 787s have that from the center block of 2-2-2.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I much prefer 787 over 757 up front. You can get a better feel of International Business Class travel on 787.
2stepbay likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
It all depends which 787 OP was booked on. 787-10 have the real Polaris cabin. Any 787 cabin will be less worn and torn than the 757s.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Always op for the 787 over a 757. Much better cabin atmosphere (higher pressure/higher humidity). If it’s the latest Polaris seating, all the better.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
788. The cabins are newer and the middle aisle seats require no climbing over.
Originally Posted by 2stepbay
Always op for the 787 over a 757. Much better cabin atmosphere (higher pressure/higher humidity). If it’s the latest Polaris seating, all the better.
I've never noticed any difference in air quality. YMMV.

The 788 does not have Polaris seats.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Definitely try and get on the 787 if you can, for the better cabin experience, and possibility of two aisle seats together in the middle. The IFE is better too, in terms of quantity of movies and TV shows. The 757, IME, is the worst international plane for IFE.

But if you plan on just sleeping the entire flight, you'll be fine on the 757.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:28 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I have done my fair share of true longhaul to and from Asia and do not feel any different on787.

And for all intents and purposes the Biz seat is the same on 788.
lhrsfo and milypan like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by ac3000
when I booked, it was on the 11pm (787-8)
for some reason they moved us to the 10:30pm (757-200)
THIS is what mystifies me. Why were you moved? These things (generally) don't happen at random. I see both flights still on the schedule, and both with seats available. If you had an issued ticket for the flight that you wanted, and UA refuses to move you back to that flight, you have a DoT complaint.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seenitall
If you had an issued ticket for the flight that you wanted, and UA refuses to move you back to that flight, you have a DoT complaint.
On what basis? UA is not charging any extra for carriage, and they're within the terms of the CoC.

The only way the DOT would be involved is if this were due to an overbooking situation, and I see no indication of that; the original flight is J9 Y9. (It's even PZ2 IN2 I1 for anyone who would like a nice ride to DC on Tuesday).
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by fumje
However, I would slightly prefer the 787 because of the higher cabin pressure.
The higher cabin pressure and humidity levels on the 787/A350 are greatly overstated (don't click through if you'd prefer to keep any placebo effects untouched). But the improved air circulation should in theory improve humidity in the premium cabins...though that's versus another wide body.

In general wide-body comfort is superior to narrow-body, holding configuration constant. But technically the 757 at 2-2 has an extra inch of space for each seat versus the 787 at 2-2-2 (using 24" aisles). The 787 cabin should be quieter, but noise from other passengers should be less on the 757 (fewer within an X meter radius).
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan
The higher cabin pressure and humidity levels on the 787/A350 are greatly overstated (don't click through if you'd prefer to keep any placebo effects untouched).
But the electronic window shades are cool. The 757s I've flown in the last few years were pretty raggy upfront in business. Almost a disgrace.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by jsloan
On what basis? UA is not charging any extra for carriage, and they're within the terms of the CoC.

The only way the DOT would be involved is if this were due to an overbooking situation, and I see no indication of that; the original flight is J9 Y9. (It's even PZ2 IN2 I1 for anyone who would like a nice ride to DC on Tuesday).
C'mon. This is consumer fraud. Bait and switch. If you have an issued ticket for UA123 at XX:XX and out of nowhere it is changed to UA999 at YY:YY -- and the original flight is still operating and has space, you are saying that this is kosher? What's to stop UA from changing you from a nonstop to a flight with a connection -- maybe even on a different day. The possibilities are endless. What a way to improve revenues. See a primetime nonstop being booked up, UA Revenue Management department could just move all of the discount customers on this flight over to connections on the redeye -- and resell their prime seats at higher price fare classes. Now if they discontinued the flight entirely, that would be something, but just willy-nilly changing you to a different flight -- that's crazy.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have an issued ticket for UA123 at XX:XX and out of nowhere it is changed to UA999 at YY:YY -- and the original flight is still operating and has space, you are saying that this is kosher?
Yes, but UA will change the passenger back.

What's to stop UA from changing you from a nonstop to a flight with a connection -- maybe even on a different day.
Nothing. However, their schedule change policy gives you a recourse, including a fee-free change to the original flight, since it's still operating.

See a primetime nonstop being booked up, UA Revenue Management department could just move all of the discount customers on this flight over to connections on the redeye -- and resell their prime seats at higher price fare classes.
Yes, they can -- see earlier comments.

There's little reason for UA to do these things, and they don't exactly lead to customer goodwill, but that doesn't make them illegal. UA's CoC clearly gives them the ability to make these changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.