Crediting SQ flights to MP vs. KrisFlyer

Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Crediting SQ flights to MP vs. KrisFlyer

My wife and I have purchased tickets LAX-SIN-CGK-SIN-LAX on SQ. The outbound flights are in Q class, so we would get 50% mileage credit with KrisFlyer for LAX-SIN-CGK vs. 0 mileage credit with MP. On the return the flight CGK-SIN is in E class, so we'd get 100% credit with KrisFlyer vs. 75% with MP. All is clear. However, the SIN-LAX flight is where things get interesting. On the ticket (purchased through an online travel agent) it says "Premium Economy (R class), which according to the chart on the SQ website should give us 100% miles; however, under the "Summary of Fare Conditions" the ticket says "Premium Economy Lite" which it claims earns 100% miles, but underneath that it says "Allowed CGK-SIN, Not Allowed SIN-LAX." I'm assuming the Fare Conditions on the ticket trump the chart on the SQ site, so we would get 0 miles for our SIN-LAX flight if I credit to KrisFlyer, while the chart on the UA site shows we'd get 100% miles for crediting an R class SQ Premium Economy flight to MP.

Obviously crediting the miles to MP would be better if we actually get 100% credit for the return flight, and I have somewhat of a preference for MP over KrisFlyer. However, will the SQ fare conditions overide the information in the MP chart? Does anyone have any insight regarding this situation. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by PakThomas; Jul 10, 2019 at 12:47 pm Reason: To clarify the itinerary under discussion
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just to clarify
these are all SQ operated flights,
they are all SQ flight numbers
and are on SQ ticket stock?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
To make this simple - always SQ unless you are an UA elite with PQD satisfied (or waived).
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
To make this simple - always SQ unless you are an UA elite with PQD satisfied (or waived).
It really depends upon what your overall travel patterns are. For example, if I were flying that itinerary, I'd probably credit to UA, despite being a UA premier with PQD very much an issue -- because if I wanted to use KF miles for anything, I'd have to top them up with loads of Ultimate Rewards points anyway.

Having a bunch of orphaned miles isn't usually a great strategy, even if the number of miles awarded is higher in a different program.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan

Having a bunch of orphaned miles isn't usually a great strategy, even if the number of miles awarded is higher in a different program.
Exactly the same approach I am taking. It is easier to manage one account of consolidated balance than a number of accounts with small balances. M+ is not perfect, but 11x PQD is generous enough for RDM, and if one does not mind redeem award flights on UA metals.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Yes, they're all operated by SQ, on SQ stock and with SQ flight numbers.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PakThomas
Yes, they're all operated by SQ, on SQ stock and with SQ flight numbers.
Do you have many SQ miles? UA miles?
What do you plan to do with the miles?
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Yes, I have miles with both SQ and UA. My question doesn't actually relate to which type of miles would be more useful to me, but whether, if I use my MP number rather than my KF number, thus crediting the miles earned to UA rather than SQ, I could overcome the problem of getting 0 miles for the SIN-LAX flight (as indicated in the Fare Conditions on my SQ ticket, which contradicts the earning charts for SQ flights in R class premium economy on both the SQ and the UA websites). If I credited the whole itinerary to MP, would UA follow their mileage chart (giving me 100% miles for the long SIN-LAX flight) or follow the Fare Conditions listed on the SQ ticket (which says I will get 0 KF miles for that flight). Sorry if my initial post was a bit confusing.

Last edited by PakThomas; Jul 11, 2019 at 9:05 am Reason: Correcting error and clarifying my post
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by PakThomas
... My question doesn't actually relate to which type of miles would be more useful to me, but whether, if I use my MP number rather than my KF number, thus crediting the miles earned to UA rather than SQ, ...
Regardless of who you post to, SQ will make the decision on what to post. If you brought an SQ fare, and there is a fare rule restriction, SQ may apply it in either case. However, without access the fare rules, it is not clear what Fare Conditions and "Not Allowed SIN-LAX" means.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Ok, thanks. I was afraid of that! If that's the case, I guess I'll use my KF number and add the few miles I get to that account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.