Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Club Card (targeted?) offer - free year

Old Jul 10, 19, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time ... US Silver, AA Gold

I received an slick, glossy mailer from United offering me a free year for the United Club Card (normally $450). I've read through it and don't see any points bonus, which sort of makes sense. I don't spend a lot of time in airports and would prefer a points bonus over a club membership that I may only use two or three times in a year, so don't think this card is really one I want. It does say I would get Premier Access, which as best I can tell means faster check in, boarding and baggage handling.

Anyone else get this offer? My credit score is very high so I'm not worrying about a hit for applying. Should I?

Sorry if this is a repeat - I did a search and could not find any other discussion of this offer.
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
FYF (first year free) had been the welcome offer for the Club Card for years; there was a period where they were offering 50k miles instead (ostensibly a better bonus, but of course harder to use).

If you don't value a UC membership, you should not get the Club Card.. what are you actually looking for?
Old Jul 10, 19, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by dwcatty View Post
Anyone else get this offer? My credit score is very high so I'm not worrying about a hit for applying. Should I?

Sorry if this is a repeat - I did a search and could not find any other discussion of this offer.
You should pop over to the credit card subforums and compare cards, and maybe application recommendations. The "applying for chase cards" thread has a wiki with links to threads on the various cards that also have their own wikis on features (good and bad) and benefits.

I've had the Explorer card for a while, that I got after my premier status lapsed and I didn't want to board last. It's only $95/year and gets you a bag, BG2, and reimburses for GE/precheck every 4-5 years, and two one-time club passes. I've been flying UA less and less, and don't check bags anyway, so it's not doing much for me. I'm also not a club person - mostly I fly non-stops and I don't get to the airport particularly early. I save the passes for IRROPS or the occasional trip where I'm flying a long connection, but have had plenty expire. The clubs aren't particularly special - maybe marginally better than getting some carryout from your favorite airport restaurant and finding an empty gate. If you're not flying UA to be premier already (and precheck gets you through security faster usually, anyway) it's probably cheaper to buy the access per trip.
Old Jul 10, 19, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I received mine in today’s mail and into the file-13 shredder it went
Old Jul 10, 19, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Since I have become a 1K, I have been the target of the 1st year AF waived Club Card offer.

Result - I access UC and other *G lounges without getting the Club Card.
Old Jul 10, 19, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
I got one of these as well. Timely, because I have a trip to Hawaii booked on UA in November (ATL-HNL $533!). It would be nice to be able to access the HNL lounge before my late-night return. My connections are too brief for visits, but if something goes amiss, it would be great to have access.

It seems like you don't even have to charge anything to the card. Just get approved, and you get your membership card in 6 weeks. I'm very tempted to go ahead and take the plunge, since it basically seems like completely free lounge access. The only downside I can see is that it will count against the 5/24 rule--I'm at 4/5 right now, but two will drop off March 2020. It's possible I could end up on some additional UA trips in the coming year as well, as they seem to have entered a period of competitive fares out of ATL (they've done that before).

Anything I'm overlooking?
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
My roommate received one today.

He's AC*G though, so there isn't much value.