Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Redeye trancon -- why not serve breakfast prior to arrival instead of "snacks"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None yet

Apology if this has been posted before.

I've taken transcon redeye flights in J/F several times (both premium routes like SFO-EWR and regular ones like SFO-IAD). I always wonder why UA chose to serve a "snack", sandwich most of the time, shortly after departure, instead of serving a breakfast prior to arrival. For me it make more sense to have the latter: usually those flights arrive in the morning, and people want to start the day with a meal. Very few people want to eat the "snack" since the departure time is very late, and people want to maximize the sleep. Any idea why UA did this?

Last edited by moyang_mm; Jul 9, 2019 at 9:05 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Neither the snack or a breakfast really fit into the timing. I like to try to maximize sleep.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:20 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Neither the snack or a breakfast really fit into the timing. I like to try to maximize sleep.
some of us like a hot meal and coffee before landing, and eggs tend to be the only edible type of dish on a plane. this is standard practice at least on ac.

ua just doesn't do this because they're too cheap to board meals.
LASUA1K, rch4u, nancypants and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cur
some of us like a hot meal and coffee before landing, and eggs tend to be the only edible type of dish on a plane. this is standard practice at least on ac.

ua just doesn't do this because they're too cheap to board meals.
I don't think boarding hot breakfast will be more expensive than the current snack sandwich?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't think most people want to eat breakfast at effectively 3-4am. I know I don't.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't think most people want to eat breakfast at effectively 3-4am. I know I don't.
But isn't it better than serving a sandwich at 11pm?
downinit likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by moyang_mm
But isn't it better than serving a sandwich at 11pm?
No. Lots of people snack before going to bed.
BearX220, SteveHK and CashN like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:53 pm

I think most people eat the hot breakfast and have coffee before they land at LHR or any other European destination “at effectively 3-4 am”
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
I think most people eat the hot breakfast and have coffee before they land at LHR or any other European destination “at effectively 3-4 am”
People will eat whatever they're given, whenever they're given it. That doesn't mean it's necessarily their preference.

There's no way to make everyone happy. You just have to pick one and hope to piss off the fewest number of people.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:56 pm
cur

No. Lots of people snack before going to bed.
ya see that's not good for you and that's not what i do. not that ua cares about healthiness. but a greasy sammich can help you pass out easier i guess.
downinit likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by cur
ya see that's not good for you
I wouldn't call any food served on any airline to be "good for you".
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:58 pm

People will eat whatever they're given, whenever they're given it. That doesn't mean it's necessarily their preference.
well this actually isn’t true since most people do not eat the snack sandwich at 11pm-midnight.

But i think most would eat the breakfast.

The real reason it isn’t served is probably NOT customer preference but, as mentioned above, cost.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:59 pm

There's no way to make everyone happy.
you could serve both
ecofreak likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:01 pm
cur

There's no way to make everyone happy. You just have to pick one and hope to piss off the fewest number of people.
this is a very ua mentality. op and i won't eat a greasy sammich before bed, and you can have both options available.

I wouldn't call any food served on any airline to be "good for you".
the fruit plate or yogurt and a coffee is fine. again i never eat on planes unless i'm on tk or something. an omelette and coffee at dawn is way less bad for you than a sammich before sleep. and honestly i'm not the healthiest guy but there are choices we have to make if we like to eat bbq every week. it's just very american to have food before bed over a meal at dawn. and that is not good for you all things being equal
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by moyang_mm
I don't think boarding hot breakfast will be more expensive than the current snack sandwich?
No, it will cost more to serve a hot breakfast because of additional cost to keep the food refrigerated so that it doesn't spoil for the next 3-4h. Again, could be negligible given that you're only catering 16-28 meals, but I'm sure there are additional catering considerations and UA thinks it's just easier to serve snack.

I prefer sleep more than snack or breakfast on a redeye, so ideally for me is that they keep lights off from takeoff to landing and minimize all noise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.