Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAH-OIL-TRASH
Location: Overseas Terminal, above gate C4 - approximately 15 minute walk to United's usual G gates.

Hours: 8:30am til last departure (1:30-1:45pm)
Currently NH 185, departure time 14:10.

Access: NH passengers in premium cabins, *G. +1 guest, $40 single entry passes available for purchase.
Confirmed success reports of *G on domestic itineraries allowed entry, even +1
Print Wikipost

ANA Lounge HNL - UA Discussions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
Just read my reply above yours - the distinction here is one is overseas and one is domestic.
how is that relevant?

Star Alliance Gold Customers travelling in any class of travel

As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling in any class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight, you have access to any member airline lounge at the airport where your flight departs, if the following conditions are met:
  • You present your boarding pass of a Star Alliance member airline operated flight which departs at the same day as your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning.
  • If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need to also show your valid Star Alliance Gold card.
  • The lounge displays the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Also - by design, UA*G are not supposed to have lounge access for any U.S. domestic flights ....
That is incorrect.
This is the policy
If you are a United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customer, you may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when departing from that airport on an international Star Alliance flight, not when departing on a domestic flight with United.
... TK/LH lounges in IAD are a few exceptions. ...
and LAX, DTW, BOS, IAH, EWR, ..... and others. Today any *G *A lounge in the USA works

This may help to see the true picture, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-domestic.html (13 lounges including @ EWR, ORD, IAD, LAX,MIA, LGA, DTW and BOS)

...The SQ/BR lounges previously existed at SFO did deny *G even as a *G lounge.
True, but SQ denied it was a *G lounge and BR sort took the same stance and it was the operator that denied access, not UA or UA personal. And it is been a non-issue for some time.

...So yes, until proved, it is a legitimate concern if domestic pax can get access to the NH lounge. ....
I would state it the other way --- until there is a denial, the best assumption is there will be access - the vast data support access. Lack of a denial, this is pure speculation. There is no instance I am aware UA personnel blocking UA *G from access an *A lounge -- none.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2019 at 6:32 pm Reason: link
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

This statement is flawed...

1. Because of the popularity of Japanese in Hawaii (hence, the up-gauge and increased capacity), many Hawaiians do know how to speak Japanese. Case-in-point: I was once greeted by a Hawaiian server in Japanese in a IHOP near Waikiki.

2. The actual F&B operator of the lounge do not seem hiring anyone with Japanese language background.
I live in Hawaii and of course I know many people who live in Hawaii (FYI - Hawaiian(s) is reserved for Native Hawaiians - living in Hawaii doesn't make you Hawaiian) speak Japanese. What I said was I don't recall any of the agents at the UC speak Japanese.

I'd be really shocked if the ANA lounge was not staffed by Native Japanese speakers (or Japanese as a second language) - many Japanese visitors to Hawaii have limited English skills or aren't comfortable speaking English. And yes I know many are perfectly comfortable speaking English.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I really don't know to be honest. That's why I said it is better to be prepared.

Yep.
I believe many want to know. Of course me as well - international or domestic?
ANA to NRT. I was on the Suites side.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
until there is a denial, the best assumption is there will be access
That is sensible.

Though it's not irrational to be concerned that if UA personnel man the entry desk, they might wrongly deny acess . . . after all, they do it at UCs often enough
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
... Though it's not irrational to be concerned that if UA personnel man the entry desk, they might wrongly deny acess . . . after all, they do it at UCs often enough
If I read the OP correctly, there are NH personal at the entry and not solely a UA agent. Can not remember a case where an UA agent was at a partner's club, the UA agent did lounge check-in.

And doubtful the NH will be using UA systems to determine access. perhaps best to wait for an actual issue before getting too worked up. Seems to be fitting a straight line to a single point.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Seems to be fitting a straight line to a single point.
Not even sure we have a single point. No report of an actual denial. The only potential access testers are the midday west coast-bound passengers customers who 1) know the *A access rules (as they are supposed to work), 2) know the lounge exists, 3) can be bothered to make the trek, 4) and post here...

It’s about a month until my first attempt.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And doubtful the NH will be using UA systems to determine access. perhaps best to wait for an actual issue before getting too worked up. Seems to be fitting a straight line to a single point.
It wouldn't be FT if people weren't hypothesizing about things that may never occur

Personally, I won't ever be surprised by a report of a UA agent wrongly denying lounge access. The access rules have been the same for years, it's these peoples' jobs to know them, and there still agents at UA hubs (DEN, IAH, EWR) who get it wrong on a consistent basis.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
... Personally, I won't ever be surprised by a report of a UA agent wrongly denying lounge access. ....
But that would require the UA agent to be the individual doing lounge check-in. IME, UA agent at a partner club are there for reservation / UA traveler help and don't do lounge check-in.

Simple solution don't check-in with the UA agent.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:15 pm

But that would require the UA agent to be the individual doing lounge check-in. IME, UA agent at a partner club are there for reservation / UA traveler help and don't do lounge check-in.

All I said was that I don't find garykung's expression of concern irrational, b/c I could see a UA agent wrongly denying access. I haven't predicted anything, and am certainly not losing any sleep over this
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Let's me say this once and for all.

The only 2 reports of access, which include MatthewLAX and me, are both international. MatthewLAX's access was independent to his status. I was the only one who accessed the lounge solely by UA*G. Until there is an actual report of domestic access by UA*G, we will NEVER know who is right or wrong.

As I have said previously - this is merely a caution based on the presence of the UA personnel AT THE CHECK-IN at the time of my visit.

We can argue whatever we want. Bottom line - we simply won't know until someone reports back.

Can not remember a case where an UA agent was at a partner's club, the UA agent did lounge check-in.
For the record, NH personnel did my check-in. But both NH and UA personnel thanked for my visit, which UA personnel explicitly thanked me for being 1K.

And doubtful the NH will be using UA systems to determine access.
Then how can NH determine the validity of the BP?

Beside - because the BP is required for checking in, the BP itself has ample information to determine access even before scanning the BP.

Taking a look with the BP is sufficient enough to determine.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:46 pm

And doubtful the NH will be using UA systems to determine access.
Then how can NH determine the validity of the BP?

Beside - because the BP is required for checking in, the BP itself has ample information to determine access even before scanning the BP...
NH will be using its' system which will then check thru *A links to UA for further information if needed.
The scan and decision making will be in the NH system

Taking a look with the BP is sufficient enough to determine.
Yes, but there is a trend to "let the computer" make the decision with the complexity of the rules and the increasing types BPs (paper, various different electronic, ...) the computer get what it needs from the barcode -- simpler execution and should be lower error rate.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:44 am

We can argue whatever we want. Bottom line - we simply won't know until someone reports back.
I was in Honolulu last month visiting family, and stopped by the ANA lounge on my way back to the mainland. Traveling eastbound from HNL to LAX, zero trouble gaining admission as *G. I was also able to guest in my wife without any issue. I don't recall seeing any United employees in the lounge, and certainly not at check-in, though it's possible they're there at other times.

We walked to the lounge -- with a baby, stroller, and a bunch of luggage -- and didn't find it onerous. It's a little bit of a hike, but I enjoy the open-air atmosphere at HNL and found it nice to stretch my legs before a day of flying. YMMV.

OP didn't seem too impressed by the lounge overall, but I thought it was quite nice. Maybe my standards are just low, though I liked how they offered both local and Japanese food, the lounge was quiet and nearly empty, and the employees were all very polite. The children's play area was great, too -- there was a large space for kids to crawl around, climb blocks, etc., with books to read to them in Japanese, and some really beautiful decorations hanging from the ceiling. (Much nicer than any other children's area that I've visited domestically.) I'll certainly choose ANA over the UA or HA lounges the next time I'm visiting.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by limyanko
OP didn't seem too impressed by the lounge overall, but I thought it was quite nice.
If you have been NH Lounges at NRT, you will know why I say this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I pity the fool who does not make it to the ANA lounge at HNL if they have the time.

Absolutely no problem as UA 1K (*A Gold) in coach HNL-LAX getting in. Showed BP and UA Premier card. The 4 ladies at the entry desk were tripping over themselves to greet me. Almost startling compared to UC.

I’ll edit post later, but food light years ahead of UC. Bountiful. Pour your own beer from tap. Extremely friendly staff(and there are quite a few who do speak Japanese). Bartender came over to where I was out in the lounge periphery and asked if I needed anything.

ANA 380 pulled up outside lounge as I arrived. Staff watched as it pulled in then moved to window overlooking upper deck disembarkment hallway to wave at arriving passengers.

8 minutes walk from Hawaiian Airlines inter island terminal to ANA lounge. 13 minute walk from ANA lounge to furthest UA gate (G6, where I found out I got upgraded to 1B &#128578

Side note. Itinerary started w HA, who doesn’t provide UA boarding passes, but “connection cards”. Doesn’t matter - once you check in w/ HA, UA boarding passes show up in UA app. Can’t print or move to Apple wallet, but still good for access to ANA lounge.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 14, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.