Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAH-OIL-TRASH
Location: Overseas Terminal, above gate C4 - approximately 15 minute walk to United's usual G gates.

Hours: 8:30am til last departure (1:30-1:45pm)
Currently NH 185, departure time 14:10.

Access: NH passengers in premium cabins, *G. +1 guest, $40 single entry passes available for purchase.
Confirmed success reports of *G on domestic itineraries allowed entry, even +1
Print Wikipost

ANA Lounge HNL - UA Discussions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mr8
It is still possible to walk though right? Can't be as bad as the TBIT hike in LAX?
I’d guess it would be 3/4ths that of the TBIT hike.

I believe UA passenger favorite agent Annie roosts in the Sydney NZ lounge. Different situation though...
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by mr8
It is still possible to walk though right? Can't be as bad as the TBIT hike in LAX?
To each their own. Some may find it long. Others won’t mind it. Google maps has the walk from gate G6 (the old Gate 6) at the far end of the Diamond Head concourse to the ANA lounge at about 0.8 miles: https://goo.gl/maps/z7WekmvVDkSAebi56
mr8 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
I wonder if the UA position is a permanent position? UA could have just been there to help NH staff settle in and/or train the new staff on NH/UA connections for JV flights..?
Only other place I remember seeing airline personnel at a non-airline lounge is the Star Alliance in LAX (though, UA obviously doesn't have any staff there). I once some pax having difficulties accessing the Star Alliance LAX and airline personnel had no authority in regards to access policy, so I don't think UA staff could step in to deny/allow access.

Will be interesting to see more reports though!

Of course it’s possible to walk. The whole airport is possible to walk between. Can probably go end to end in 10-15 mins.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

I believe UA passenger favorite agent Annie roosts in the Sydney NZ lounge. Different situation though...
Annie (and/or her colleagues) is definitely still in the NZ Lounge at SYD. Always stop by to say hi to her. Will get a chance next week. There is a clear UA presence at that lounge with 3 morning flights out of Sydney on UA.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mr8
I wonder if the UA position is a permanent position? UA could have just been there to help NH staff settle in and/or train the new staff on NH/UA connections for JV flights..?
Permanent or not? I don't know. But I am sure that the UA personnel was not there to help out NH.

NH's service @ HNL is not new. So NH has its own staffs (direct hire or contracted) at HNL. The only thing new is the lounge. Per my observation, there were massive presence of NH personnel, presumably from Japan, to oversee the lounge operation during the opening (my visit was 5/23).

Also - helping out by sending 1 person? Sounds cheap and unhelpful.

FWIW - I was as surprised as most of you when I was reminded of being 1K by a UA staff at a NH lounge during lounge check-in.

Originally Posted by mr8
Only other place I remember seeing airline personnel at a non-airline lounge is the Star Alliance in LAX (though, UA obviously doesn't have any staff there). I once some pax having difficulties accessing the Star Alliance LAX and airline personnel had no authority in regards to access policy, so I don't think UA staff could step in to deny/allow access.
Is your elite status provided by UA? Here is your answer.

Originally Posted by mr8
It is walkable. But don't forget, your time accessing the lounge is very limited.

Originally Posted by UAinAUS
Annie (and/or her colleagues) is definitely still in the NZ Lounge at SYD.
I believe the distinction here is one is overseas and one is domestic.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the concern is that UA personnel would apply the UA rule of no access on a domestic itinerary. I can see that happening (particularly since they have to pay NH for each entry).
UA personnel is also at the LH lounge in FRA ... certainly not applying UA rules to LH lounge entry; likewise LH folks at UA lounges in ORD won't apply LH lounge rules either. This is an NH lounge and not a joint lounge (where it would get tricky); I don't think *A rules permit restricting access.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cfischer
UA personnel is also at the LH lounge in FRA ... certainly not applying UA rules to LH lounge entry; likewise LH folks at UA lounges in ORD won't apply LH lounge rules either. This is an NH lounge and not a joint lounge (where it would get tricky); I don't think *A rules permit restricting access.
Just read my reply above yours - the distinction here is one is overseas and one is domestic.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I hope UA really did not send an agent to that lounge to prohibit UA Star Gold flyers from accessing this lounge on a domestic itinerary.

I was was there for three hours last week and no UA agent was there. It’s a long hike from the United Club...I’d say 15 minutes. It’s a nice lounge.
BThumme likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I hope UA really did not send an agent to that lounge to prohibit UA Star Gold flyers from accessing this lounge on a domestic itinerary.
I really don't know to be honest. That's why I said it is better to be prepared.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I was was there for three hours last week and no UA agent was there. It’s a long hike from the United Club...I’d say 15 minutes. It’s a nice lounge.
I believe many want to know. Of course me as well - international or domestic?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
For those who have been to both, how would you say the ANA lounge compares to HA's Plumeria Lounge (which is accessible via Priority Pass)?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
To each their own. Some may find it long. Others won’t mind it. Google maps has the walk from gate G6 (the old Gate 6) at the far end of the Diamond Head concourse to the ANA lounge at about 0.8 miles:
It is certainly walkable - but since you can realistically only access this club for the late morning/early afternoon bank of flights, some my find the walk with a suitcase (which seems to be a FT trait) and a backpack/laptop bag can make them a sweaty mess by the time they reach their flight since no AC for the walk - and given the record heat in May/June - and not any better in July, the heat is real especially if you aren't used to it.....
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by transportprof
For those who have been to both, how would you say the ANA lounge compares to HA's Plumeria Lounge (which is accessible via Priority Pass)?
I also would be interested in such an opinion. I liked the Plumeria but was not impressed by it. It is way better than the IASS Lounge (also PP accessible). It is nice to have decent clubs at both ends of the terminal. The ANA lounge would be in the middle.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:53 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Looks like there aren't any stairs along the way, so that should make it an easier walk!
Originally Posted by garykung
Also - helping out by sending 1 person? Sounds cheap and unhelpful.
Sounds like a United enhancement to me!

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It is certainly walkable - but since you can realistically only access this club for the late morning/early afternoon bank of flights
Good point.
Can we get a wiki started with the lounge hours and access reports for UA*Gs?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
Can we get a wiki started with the lounge hours and access reports for UA*Gs?
Given it is really clear on the ANA website specific to Honolulu ANA club *G on a Star flight has access I'd be really surprised access is an issue unless there was some wacky overcrowding. ANA *G in the past were frequent UC guests. *G can also bring a guest.

It is open at 8:30am until the last ANA flight which is roughly 2:00pm - but I'd expect them to start shuffling people out at least 30 minutes before then.

I don't recall any of the agents manning the UC able to speak Japanese - and I can't imagine ANA wants anyone in a official capacity greeting or interacting with guests who can't speak Japanese.

I can see this as a decent alternative option to the UC (or if you are *G no UC access) if your early morning flights significantly delays or you get to the airport from 8:30am - 1:30ish,

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/servicei...etail/hnl.html
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof
I have not been to the HA lounge (don't realize it is a PP lounge as well). But just by watching related videos and photos, the NH lounge is definitely better.

(Note - I do have the detailed review posted at the OP. I did not post the review here to avoid cross post.)

Given it is really clear on the ANA website specific to Honolulu ANA club *G on a Star flight has access I'd be really surprised access is an issue unless there was some wacky overcrowding. ANA *G in the past were frequent UC guests. *G can also bring a guest.
AFAIK, all UCs are *G lounge. Hence, qualified NH pax can access UCs.

Also - by design, UA*G are not supposed to have lounge access for any U.S. domestic flights (because of the UC membership). TK/LH lounges in IAD are a few exceptions. The SQ/BR lounges previously existed at SFO did deny *G even as a *G lounge. So yes, until proved, it is a legitimate concern if domestic pax can get access to the NH lounge.

I don't recall any of the agents manning the UC able to speak Japanese - and I can't imagine ANA wants anyone in a official capacity greeting or interacting with guests who can't speak Japanese.
This statement is flawed...

1. Because of the popularity of Japanese in Hawaii (hence, the up-gauge and increased capacity), many Hawaiians do know how to speak Japanese. Case-in-point: I was once greeted by a Hawaiian server in Japanese in a IHOP near Waikiki.

2. The actual F&B operator of the lounge do not seem hiring anyone with Japanese language background.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.