Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA in no rush to respond to DL's improved Y intl service

UA in no rush to respond to DL's improved Y intl service

Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Delta owns 2.5% of MU and AA holds a similar stake in CZ. Meanwhile, the main *A carrier in China is much tighter with CX than any of its alliance partners.

I don't give a rat's behind about milking FFPs any more, but I place some value in synergies, the type that AA and DL invested in. Slightly off topic, MU provides a MUCH better ride to NYC than UA. I'm hard pressed to think of a single person in my business circles that flies UA over MU on SHA-NYC unless they are forced to.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 11, 2019 at 9:54 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by moondog
I don't give a rat's behind about milking FFPs any more, but I place some value in synergies, the type that AA and DL invested in.
What exactly are those “synergies”? You reference them as if they are meaningful to travelers today, so I’m curious as to what you mean?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by moondog
Delta owns 2.5% of MU and AA holds a similar stake in MU. Meanwhile, the main *A carrier in China is much tighter with CX than any of its alliance partners.

I don't give a rat's behind about milking FFPs any more, but I place some value in synergies, the type that AA and DL invested in. Slightly off topic, MU provides a MUCH better ride to NYC than UA. I'm hard pressed to think of a single person in my business circles that flies UA over MU on SHA-NYC unless they are forced to.
Could not disagree with this more! Flew MU roundtrip JFK-PVG on a pair of free J tickets I won at an event. Planes stunk of cigarettes. Food was atrocious and literally stunk! Service was rude and hard to communicate in English. My partner and I were in the middle pair of seats and had such insane inconsistencies (one meal option available on my side, but not his). No menus passed out (FAs come around with one menu and you have 10 seconds to read and decide). Served a hilariously tiny pour of wine multiple times like one sip, on the return asked for a bit more in the glass and was told "you can get more when you finish that!". Thank goodness it was a free ticket. Wouldn't pay a dime for that nasty product!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by B407
..,I'd rather more airlines focus on giving back as much personal space in Y as possible....
I’m pretty sure the legacy U.S. airlines are more likely to give you $5 more bad food than an inch of more space. But - nothing wrong with dreaming.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764

What exactly are those “synergies”? You reference them as if they are meaningful to travelers today, so I’m curious as to what you mean?
Mostly schedule coordination thus far. AA and CZ at PKX should be an interesting litmus test (greenfield opportunity). 2.5% equity might seem trivial, but it seems to have been sufficient to score seats at the tables.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

This thread is about if UA will adopt or be affected by DL's new economy service. DL's partners in China is a great discussion-- for the DL forum. Let's return to the food / economy service discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BearX220
Living in AA+UA fortress Chicago, I regularly opt for DL TATL via JFK, DTW, or MSP over an AA or UA nonstop. The connection doesn't "make sense" comparatively, but I still prefer the experience.
I frequently have a choice of one-stop connections to get between the city pairs of interest to me, where the choice is to transit via ORD using UA or AA or to transit or originate via a DL hub. I tend to choose the DL hubs since DL provides a better experience despite how poorly I find the SkyMiles program. If I expected the UA and AA loyalty programs to be far superior to DL SkyMiles in the years and decade ahead, I would have used UA and AA somewhat more than I do, but when the US3 airline programs are increasingly poorly rewarding knock-offs of each other, then price and predictability count. And DL is the leader of the US3 airlines when it comes to quality/delivery of service in the air and operational superiority — all while UA and AA are lousy laggards. As much as I despise what DL has done to SkyMiles and enabled the other two of the US3 airlines to do to the loyalty mileage programs, I have returned to DL because at least I know DL does provide a better and more consistent flight experience. Without UA really sweetening the UA MileagePlus pot for me — and it’s doing the opposite of that — DL’s going to keep taking my business away from UA way more than it already does. I have no faith in UA being able to become what DL is anytime soon. I have even less faith in AA being able to do so anytime soon.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
I give Delta a lot of credit for innovating and out-of-the-box thinking, but I'm not certain I would be cheering for UA to adopt this service standard. If UA were to instead go for bigger mains, different salads, absolutely... but there's no question that this extends the service. Delta thinks it's a win-win, as FA interactions are tied to higher NPS, so this gets their crews in the aisle more often, interacting with passengers. It's also (reportedly) a savings of tens of millions annually, if not more.

In speaking to a FA in the DL PDX domicile who was a big part of the service trial, she claims the cabin is generally not cleared, with lights out until about 2.5 hours in, which is a long Y service, any way you slice it, and (not that this matters for pax) but flight attendants are WORKING, because so much of the service is bulk-provisioned, hand-run now. Despite the PR fluff, flight attendants are not thrilled about it, especially some of the senior FAs... but rumor is, that actually has something to do with it!

Caterers charge airlines differently for bulk-provisioned items versus tray setups. Eliminating the tray setups (where airlines are charged per-item on the tray) is a major cost savings. Now, the bulk trays (more like plates, really) are loaded in stacks, along with the placemat/utensil roll, while cold appetizers are loaded in the cart and hot mains in oven carriers. Delta will simply ship these items to outstations where caterers will deliver them to the flights, wrapped in plastic and loaded in carts. FAs will hand pax the plate with appetizer and entree, rather than a tray setup provisioned with cold items (app, bread, utensil roll, dessert, S+P, etc.) and loaded in the carts.

It makes for a cool study in airline economics, logistics and innovation.
Interesting on the tray vs bulk cost savings. Is this in the vein of the Etihad enhancement - looks like they switched to a plate setup for cost savings.

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea...my-class-seat/

Now if someone can figure out how to improve the first class food this way - had a DL F dinner flight this week with at best 4 ounces of a main course.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
To me this thread shows the impossibility of uniformly pleasing everybody. The factors that determine airline choice are so complex. Let me delineate:
  1. Price (and to me this includes the value of ancillary services such as number of free bags and value of FFP credits accrued).
  2. Convenience: does the airline offer a nonstop to my destination, does it fly there frequently, reliably and at desirable times, etc.
  3. Hard product comfort (seat, etc)
  4. Soft product quality (food, beverages on plane and in lounges)
  5. Service (enjoy the interactions with employees, or try to minimize them)
Now for me personally, factors 1, 2 and 3 are what matter. In particular, I discount the value of 4 and 5 because I find that on any airline, these are quite variable. That is, I will get some flights with a good soft product and service, and some flights with bad -- and I cannot predict ahead of time which it will be. Therefore, even though airline A may, on average, provide better factors 4 and 5, because I cannot rely on this occurring, I don't let it reverse any choice that I would have made based on 1, 2 or 3.

For these reasons, it is not clear that UA should try to chase DL on its new offering of factor 4. Especially if it detracts focus from improving its status on factors 1, 2 and 3.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
The only thing that matters to me is seat pitch and width

Free E+ is great for the pitch, I don't think we are going to see 18.5" wide long haul Y seats on new UA aircraft again so its a wash for me, I usually eat before and bring snacks anyways if I am in E+ on a TPAC route so I won't be switching to Delta
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Man, just a side bowl of olives? Really? I cannot believe that United has become so cheap. Now I am grateful that at least I got a 'side salad' (if you can still call it that) on my HKG-SFO flight two months ago. Maybe I should move my business to CX/DL (depending on where I fly) if I continue to get starved on TPAC flights.
It may have been a catering mistake, because I have not seen it since, but it was still quite frustrating.

Originally Posted by dilanesp
1. I agree that UA doesn't provide enough food in longhaul Y (although they usually serve ice cream for dessert, contrary to a couple of posts here).

2. I actually find the food UA does serve in Y to be quite decent. I just wish they would serve a more complete "meal".
Olives aside, I agree with you on the food quality, it's really not that bad. I just want more of it.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
It may have been a catering mistake, because I have not seen it since, but it was still quite frustrating.

Olives aside, I agree with you on the food quality, it's really not that bad. I just want more of it.
UA (at least in Y) certainly isn’t the best airplane food, but it’s fine. I’ve had better, for sure (SQ, TK, CX - at least regional but was a few years ago last time and I hear it’s declined, and TG to a lesser extent). It’s about the same as many others, like LH, IME. I’ve also had worse - AC and CI, for example, and I know many will likely disagree, but I don’t like the food on NH. I’m talking about Y, since that’s what I fly.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: CX Gold
I hope so. I will be very pissed if I see a box of olives instead of a salad on the main meal tray.

This. Please give us more food, UA! I do not care that much about the food quality, but I cannot stand being starved on TPAC flights. If it continues to be the case, I am sure I can find an airline that can keep me stuffed.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:05 pm

NW tried a similar meal service concept 25+ years ago, as this 1994 LA Times piece helped me recall.

“At Northwest Airlines, main cabin "A La Carte" food service was introduced last year, allowing passengers to select foods buffet-style from a seat-side serving cart and, thus, to better control the amount they eat.”

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...942-story.html

I experienced it a couple of times; seemed much ado about nothing then. The PR spin strikes me as the most innovative aspect of the recent DL announcement. Then again maybe I’m just too old and cynical.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by markedcw
I experienced it a couple of times; seemed much ado about nothing then. The PR spin strikes me as the most innovative aspect of the recent DL announcement. Then again maybe I’m just too old and cynical.
I did NW for a couple of years when I was living in Portland, and traveling to/from Asia. I recall liking the PDX-NRT flight a lot, but disliking the food (I flew Y most of the time, but J food wasn't anything to write home about either). Perhaps the upgraded service you speak of was completely dismantled by 2004 though. In any event, I can almost state that I like DL's tpac food these days; it matters not whether they serve it from trays or plated as long as I'm neither bloated nor famished upon arrival (I suppose I'm easy to please).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.