Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA in no rush to respond to DL's improved Y intl service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA in no rush to respond to DL's improved Y intl service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by jsloan
I got off of SFO-SIN extremely hungry, having eaten nothing of substance...
on SQ, in J.

In their defense, I had eaten dinner immediately before boarding, but their arrival meal was (a) unappetizing, personally, and (b) served about four hours prior to arrival, for some reason, at which point I was asleep.

I have no problem getting off of a flight hungry, because there are very few airports that won't sell me better food than I can get on an airplane.

Anyway, the question is whether or not someone should care about any of these things. The question is whether or not the flying public, en masse, will. The answer, up to this point, is clear: not if they raise the price of a ticket by a dollar. Furthermore, based upon further comments, it looks like exactly what I expected: DL is being given credit for its marketing spin in a way that UA never would. (I'm fine with UA not being given credit for marketing spin, BTW -- I just don't see why DL should immediately be taken at face value).
Because at least ~70% of the time DL actually follows up with what they say. Not saying other airlines don't, but there is a trust issue in my mind. I don't see this as being a big money maker or drawing boatloads of more kettles to DL, but it is "something" which is better than the status quo. I feel it won't do anything, but if they stick to it, than it becomes "something"..
milski likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SteveHK
No, I'm not incorrect. Drink cart comes behind the meal cart. I am absolutely correct in the order of service. You will get a Bellini or not, then a meal, then a drink service.
.'
Separated by a targeted 2 min per flight attendant standards of new service order. Food will take slightly longer to deliver allowing the beverage cart to maintain pacing with the meal cart.

Full beverage cart again with dessert.

So much anger for an airline doing something out of the box for the benefit of Y pax.

I fly both airlines extensively. DL provides a MUCH more substantial meal service now than UA. Period.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Separated by a targeted 2 min per flight attendant standards of new service order. Food will take slightly longer to deliver allowing the beverage cart to maintain pacing with the meal cart.

Full beverage cart again with dessert.

So much anger for an airline doing something out of the box for the benefit of Y pax.

I fly both airlines extensively. DL provides a MUCH more substantial meal service now than UA. Period.
I give Delta a lot of credit for innovating and out-of-the-box thinking, but I'm not certain I would be cheering for UA to adopt this service standard. If UA were to instead go for bigger mains, different salads, absolutely... but there's no question that this extends the service. Delta thinks it's a win-win, as FA interactions are tied to higher NPS, so this gets their crews in the aisle more often, interacting with passengers. It's also (reportedly) a savings of tens of millions annually, if not more.

In speaking to a FA in the DL PDX domicile who was a big part of the service trial, she claims the cabin is generally not cleared, with lights out until about 2.5 hours in, which is a long Y service, any way you slice it, and (not that this matters for pax) but flight attendants are WORKING, because so much of the service is bulk-provisioned, hand-run now. Despite the PR fluff, flight attendants are not thrilled about it, especially some of the senior FAs... but rumor is, that actually has something to do with it!

Caterers charge airlines differently for bulk-provisioned items versus tray setups. Eliminating the tray setups (where airlines are charged per-item on the tray) is a major cost savings. Now, the bulk trays (more like plates, really) are loaded in stacks, along with the placemat/utensil roll, while cold appetizers are loaded in the cart and hot mains in oven carriers. Delta will simply ship these items to outstations where caterers will deliver them to the flights, wrapped in plastic and loaded in carts. FAs will hand pax the plate with appetizer and entree, rather than a tray setup provisioned with cold items (app, bread, utensil roll, dessert, S+P, etc.) and loaded in the carts.

It makes for a cool study in airline economics, logistics and innovation.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

If they can’t charge a premium, then they necessarily have to have better load factors at the same fares if they’re going to benefit from this change. All carriers are at similar load factors well over 80%. There’s just not that much further to grow.

There are a lot of changes I’d like to see UA make before I’d worry about long-haul food quality in Economy.

ETA: Also, why is it that when the Polaris service was announced, it was mostly “let’s wait and see what they cut,” but DL gets credit for a program four months before it launches?
Delta just offers a better overall product and service vs United. Yes, everyone gripes on the DL board just like they do here, but I have no skin in the Delta game aside from being a paying customer from time to time and being amazed at the difference in experience between the two airlines. All UA does is ignore the improvements made by other airlines, and wait to pounce on their cutbacks in order to "normalize to the industry".

Unfortunately, United is just not normal and never has been since Smisek, and now Kirby. Oscar is all talk, no action as he sits back and lets Kirby wreck anything and everything he can get his hands on.

Delta is able to attract customers based on the perception of a better product and service - United is totally unable to do so, as their perception in the market is poor. Delta has frequent TV spots touting its products and premium service - while United? Nothing except maybe wasted money on a stadium name.

My opinion is not in isolation, as my customers share my sentiment and avoid United except where 1. cheapest by far, 2. need to maintain GS status (one customer) or 3. only nonstop option available (and they know to hold their nose and deal with it).
BearX220, moondog, milski and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Delta just offers a better overall product and service vs United. Yes, everyone gripes on the DL board just like they do here, but I have no skin in the Delta game aside from being a paying customer from time to time and being amazed at the difference in experience between the two airlines. All UA does is ignore the improvements made by other airlines, and wait to pounce on their cutbacks in order to "normalize to the industry".

Unfortunately, United is just not normal and never has been since Smisek, and now Kirby. Oscar is all talk, no action as he sits back and lets Kirby wreck anything and everything he can get his hands on.

Delta is able to attract customers based on the perception of a better product and service - United is totally unable to do so, as their perception in the market is poor. Delta has frequent TV spots touting its products and premium service - while United? Nothing except maybe wasted money on a stadium name.

My opinion is not in isolation, as my customers share my sentiment and avoid United except where 1. cheapest by far, 2. need to maintain GS status (one customer) or 3. only nonstop option available (and they know to hold their nose and deal with it).
I'm a nobody on DL, but the few times I've flown them I'm in complete shock at how well I'm treated. I'm creeping up on 1mm with UA, and I'm not sure I even care anymore. Being Colorado based it's hard to move away from UA though.

On one hand people argue that business travellers are the primary customer, but this thread says nobody cares, whatever is cheapest. Which is it? Because I like service, I spend a little more to buy from a certain dealership locally, as they spoil me. If everyone followed the opinions in this thread, all dealerships would be Toyota, Ford, and Chevy. So if Delta ups the game a little, they have my respect for doing so, even if I'm #3 in your list.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by bocastephen
{So} DL is only for folks who don’t value their time cuz it’s not all that precious and they’re willing to deal with connections just for that corner bodega welcome beverage in Y.

Nothing says beloved by high fare passengers quite like (1) being the frequency king on neither JFK-LAX nor JFK-SFO, (2) having far fewer flights to TLV, (3) not offering JFK - PEK HND/NRT PVG HKG nonstop, JV or own metal, (4) having its Brazilian network collapse to a point that despite having far larger feed via GOL than the paltry token connections UA offers on Azul, UA flies 200% number of weekly frequencies to GRU compared to DL (that number jumps to 300% when you compare Star v. DL/Skyteam/equity/JV), (5) their entire national FF base combined and can’t find one hub that can sustain HKG, (6) achieved exactly zero own metal growth on its A/NZ network after launch of SYD-LAX (it’s not like VA has done much either)

and here’s the stark reality - DL isn’t #1 at any of their hubs where meaningful competition exists - SEA LAX NYC BOS. (The title for each is AS, AA, UA, B6). Funny how these trillions of of DL loving UA hating folks somehow don’t show up in actual market share statistics
SteveHK and LAX_BillyJoe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2019 at 6:50 pm Reason: Removed overly personal comments
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: united
1. I agree that UA doesn't provide enough food in longhaul Y (although they usually serve ice cream for dessert, contrary to a couple of posts here).

2. I actually find the food UA does serve in Y to be quite decent. I just wish they would serve a more complete "meal".

3. I am not sure yet that this DL initiative is a true upgrade over what they previously offered.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
As long as the flights are full, I don't believe UA cares about quality and how bad their brand is, only that the flights are on time as much as the competition. But at some point, it may matter.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by williambruno1975
{So} DL is only for folks who don’t value their time cuz it’s not all that precious and they’re willing to deal with connections just for that corner bodega welcome beverage in Y.
I don't believe a single post in this thread has advocated flying DL --or any airline-- in cases where the schedule doesn't make sense. Personally, being based in Asia, I only end up on Delta 4-5 times per year, and on MU quite a bit more, simply because they are my home town airline.

Believe it or not, the fact that Skyteam isn't strong in PEK or HKG has never caused me to lose a single wink of sleep.
Visconti and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2019 at 6:51 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I am a Diamond on DL, Gold on UA. I live in the DTW area and am DL hub-captive. That said, I get a lot of experience with both hard products (I like the added capacity in E+ on UA). On the soft product front, UA for the most part just screams cheapness to me. Materially, many posters are correct, there isn't a lot of difference between the two products. However, it is just a general attitude at Delta that makes me feel more welcomed.

Does a pack of Cheezits and a granola bar move the needle for coach passengers? I don't know. The attitude is definitely different as flight attendants actively dole out the snacks on Delta compared to a UA flight yesterday where the passenger next to me was given a very abrupt no with a request for a Stroopwaffle AND pretzels. "You can just pick one". There are bad eggs on both airlines. United flight attendants (anecdotal experience) seem much less proactive towards the customer.

I think the mid-con and east coast to Hawaii is another example. Delta provides catering on those flights for economy. United started the laughable "test" of that on selected flights only to have it disappear. The turkey wrap probably costs Delta $2. If I know I won't be in a 10x 777 AND I get food, the decision is a no-brainer

IRROPS - In my experience (I deal with the ORD, EWR, and IAD hubs), United is WAY-inferior to Delta. Clearly, my respective status probably has something to do with my experience. In my anecdotal experience, Delta's operations seem infinitely more reliable than UA.

Transatlantic, I get off a UA flight hungry. On Delta it is never the case.
For the last 2-3 years, my travel has been in J TATL and TPAC. Just in time before they cramped these ridiculous number of seats in 772s too. I can do so as long as the price is not ludicrous. $3K and $4K to Asia would be OK. $6K, I don't think so.

Before, I was addicted to United, mainly because of the upgrade game. Now? It is all about scoring that reasonably priced seat. And truth is, from BOS, most of the good fares I find are on *A. So I travel *A.

For years, I found UA's ground game to be good to me. Each time IRROPS or something similar happened UA got my back as long as I wasn't stuck in India, where their contractors were not good. On this side, this 1K was satisfied.

In the air, I now had the opportunity to compare, and I found UA unfortunately lacking. I flew lots of AC, MU, LH, LX, NH and all found them markedly better than UA. In each case, the hard product wasn't the differentiator - most had equal or worse than pre-CO and/or Polaris (but better than pre-UA). The real differentiator was service. I found all of these airlines to actually make me feel minimally welcome, and sometimes overwhelmed with welcome. The little attention to the presentation, the smile, the welcome in my language... Sure, I got good service from some FAs on UA, but more infrequently.

Does it make a difference? For me, you bet! Just today, I bought passage to Asia in September. The cheapest fare in J was United's, but with NH segments. Before, UA was more expensive, seems they came down. And, I had the choice to maximize flights on UA or NH. I maxed NH. Lifetime miles be damned. Sure, I know UA will collect on this flight, it is plated 016, but isn't it sad that someone who ought to consider UA his natural home opts against it? Yet, this is exactly what I did.

Would the same apply in Y? I cannot say for sure. Y is very price sensitive, for sure. But my intuition says yes. At a roughly equivalent price, that smile, that edible food, that seat that doesn't look like a torture device from Middle Ages, this is what sways people. Right now, the economy is good and planes are full. When the tide gets low, then DL's reputation may help it weather the storm if it holds its standards up. But for UA...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by moondog
I don't believe a single post in this thread has advocated flying DL --or any airline-- in cases where the schedule doesn't make sense.
Living in AA+UA fortress Chicago, I regularly opt for DL TATL via JFK, DTW, or MSP over an AA or UA nonstop. The connection doesn't "make sense" comparatively, but I still prefer the experience.
moondog, milski and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
One factor to keep in mind is that the price sensitivity is going to decrease with longer flight time. I'm willing to fly UA/AA for a short flight if it is significantly cheaper, but I'll pay an upto $100 for 8-12 hour longhaul flight that gives a good seat, food, wifi, etc. Things that will make a long flight a bit more bearable in Y.

I get free Gogo inflight wifi on planes due to my Tmobile plan, which is basically on all DL and AS flights. I recent flew TPAC roundtrip on DL and had good connection during the whole flight. The new A350 seats were extremely comfortable with headrests. Meals were better going to Asia than coming back. I'm sure FT standards for inflight meals are bit higher than the average flier, but the food is definitely edible, well-paced (departure meal, mid flight snack, and arrival meal), and left the flight not feeling hungry when I Ianded. While UA/AA are doing the race to the bottom, DL is trying to position its Y one tier above the rest with incremental improvements in hard and soft products.
moondog, GUWonder, spin88 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro

Maybe they’re waiting to see if this actually moves the needle for passengers before responding.

I’d be shocked if it did. Customers aren’t going to pay more in order to get food that’s going to turn out to be just as bad as all other airline food.
Since when did US citizens start caring about bad food? In general we love it: (insert chick-fil-a comment here), taco bell, KFC, twinkies, crap, crap, crap.....but yum (Pun intended!) The masses still think flying is exotic (nod to the citizens of Ponca City, OK). Maybe a meal is a deciding factor; grandma gets a touch of glamour via meal service at 35,000 ft.
Miggles likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Since when did US citizens start caring about bad food? In general we love it: (insert chick-fil-a comment here), taco bell, KFC, twinkies, crap, crap, crap.....but yum (Pun intended!) The masses still think flying is exotic (nod to the citizens of Ponca City, OK). Maybe a meal is a deciding factor; grandma gets a touch of glamour via meal service at 35,000 ft.
I (American) am not a food snob. That having been said, lots of airline offerings simply repulse me. Over the past several years, Delta's Y offering has climbed into my acceptable range. I can still make do with AA, CX, MU, and UA, but only if I strategically self cater supplementary snacks that I actually like.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by moondog
Believe it or not, the fact that Skyteam isn't strong in PEK or HKG has never caused me to lose a single wink of sleep.
hahhah lets ignore PEK and HKG for a sec and discuss PVG - since DL/MU aren’t in a JV anytime soon, one must only count DL vs UA - and the facts are clear :

assuming both pending DOT apps get approved, DL will have PVG - SEA LAX ATL DTW MSP while UA has LAX SFO#1 SFO#2 ORD EWR#1 EWR#2. I’m no math PhD but last time I checked 6 > 5.

nothing says “winning New York” quite like offering zero flights on JFK-PVG on any JV metal while the “bottom feeding NPS score” rival soon to offer 2x daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.