Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
How crowded do the EWR clubs usually get? Seems there will be a significant bump in the number of passengers entitled to club access at EWR with hourly ps flights.

I am on ps this weekend, so don't expect they will be packed anyway, but through the week might be a different story?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goodeats21
How crowded do the EWR clubs usually get?
Very around the evening Europe departure bank.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EWR764
No GFL at EWR (stay tuned) but there is a very nice Global Reception lobby to the left of the C-2 checkpoint.
It's not all that nice...just a stark room with 2 desks, but it does get you front-of-the-line-access to the PreCheck line.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
10/26 UA1120 up-gauged to 767

Interesting second day of ops. The 10am is cancelled for "operational difficulties" and the 11am UA1120 has been upgraded to a 767-400ER (ship 3058). Which strangely enough is also coming from MSY.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
it does get you front-of-the-line-access to the PreCheck line.
This is the key, IMO, with what tend to be rather long PreCheck lines at EWR during peak times.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by adambadam
Sorry if I missed this in the old post, but is there a logic to the way they are splitting the 16BF vs the 28BF planes? These are not the customers you want to piss off with a last minute swap.
Good question. I put a 7-day hold on a January reservation last week. I haven't purchased the ticket yet but they've already swapped a 16BF aircraft for the 28BF I originally booked. I guess there's no way to assure which aircraft you are on until you're sitting on the plane. Too bad. I prefer the 28BF ones.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: United 1K
My 7:00am flight #577 from SFO-EWR has been delayed 3 times this morning and now scheduled to depart at 11:00am
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Interesting second day of ops. The 10am is cancelled for "operational difficulties" and the 11am UA1120 has been upgraded to a 767-400ER (ship 3058). Which strangely enough is also coming from MSY.
Ferry back to EWR after the Saints charter (IND-MSY).

I think we'll see a fair amount of widebody service on the new p.s. flights... in terms of onboard product, the p.s. 757s are virtually interchangeable with the 76E/764/sCO 77E.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Seems like flights ex-EWR have been having issues with catering taking longer and delaying boarding. Might be that they just aren't familiar with the more complex p.s. catering requirements yet?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Ferry back to EWR after the Saints charter (IND-MSY).

I think we'll see a fair amount of widebody service on the new p.s. flights... in terms of onboard product, the p.s. 757s are virtually interchangeable with the 76E/764/sCO 77E.
In the winter of 2009 when JFK was closed for a day, I was on one of the first flights out the following morning - a 77Q was ferried in from ORD to fly JFK-SFO. The following winter, they did the same thing with a 3-class 767. Flying in F with p.s. meals made the service feel truly p.s.!
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

Last edited by porciuscato; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:35 pm
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: UA GS; AA CK; DL Silver Medallion, SPG Plat (Lifetime); Mariott Rwds Plat; Hertz Plat
I'm booked on UA415 (redeye LAX-EWR) for this Thursday. I'm actually flying home from PHX but connecting through LAX to score a transcon lie-flat bed and slightly longer sleep. AA10 is my usual standby but booked p.s. specifically because of the announced transition. For me getting home to EWR will be a huge win over JFK. Will report back after the flight.

Last edited by Nephroid; Oct 27, 2015 at 12:34 am
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Do these flights not all have WiFi?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Do these flights not all have WiFi?
yes but the original (sUA) aircraft are GoGo terrestrial and the additional (sCO) aircraft are the satellite system.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Switch already paid off huge for me. Needed to get back to SFO from North Carolina yesterday - not able to catch the direct flight out of RDU, I noticed I could route through EWR and catch the last flight of the night - with an upgrade confirmed in advance. A slight backtrack, but well worth it to have a seat up front in ps for my late-night arrival. ^^

That said, the food was easily the worst I've ever seen on ps. Soup was ok, but the cold, dry chicken sandwich with creamy mystery sauce was really, really unappetizing. I wasn't necessarily expecting a full meal service with a 940pm departure - but they've gotta be able to do better than that!

Last edited by milesmuncher; Oct 27, 2015 at 2:58 pm Reason: commentary about food

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.