Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 11, 15, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
I don't mind no amenity kit because it's just extra crap I don't need. I just want the toothbrush. I don't mind the bottle of water not being there since I usually have one with me when board and then it's fine to get one after the meal from the FA.
... except that I REALLY like the current int'l amenity kit bags! Wouldn't mind a few more of them.

I use them in my laptop bag to hold my cables/chargers/MiFi/etc. They're pretty much a perfect size and heavy duty enough that they hold all my cables without weighing too much.

Given that I do a LOT more domestic than international (maybe once a year for vacation...) - wouldn't mind collecting a few more bags.
Old Nov 11, 15, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
... except that I REALLY like the current int'l amenity kit bags! Wouldn't mind a few more of them.

I use them in my laptop bag to hold my cables/chargers/MiFi/etc. They're pretty much a perfect size and heavy duty enough that they hold all my cables without weighing too much.

Given that I do a LOT more domestic than international (maybe once a year for vacation...) - wouldn't mind collecting a few more bags.
Are you referring to the current brown, zippered bags? If that's the case, plse p.m. me, I might be able to help you out.
Old Nov 12, 15, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post

Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Are you referring to the current brown, zippered bags? If that's the case, plse p.m. me, I might be able to help you out.
Indeed. Getting 2 a month, they far outnumber how many I can use for the same purposes.
Old Nov 12, 15, 12:53 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP75; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
I've been on 4 flights since the change. 2 of them, the wifi didn't work. On my most recent, it seemed as if the service ended after the meal. Several of us had to ring the call button or go to the galley to ask for a drink.
Old Nov 12, 15, 1:06 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by thekaica View Post
I've been on 4 flights since the change. 2 of them, the wifi didn't work. On my most recent, it seemed as if the service ended after the meal. Several of us had to ring the call button or go to the galley to ask for a drink.
Which aircraft were each of the flights? 16 BF or 28 BF seats?
Old Nov 12, 15, 1:47 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP75; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by nycityny View Post
Which aircraft were each of the flights? 16 BF or 28 BF seats?
The first was 16BF. The other three were 28BF.
Old Nov 12, 15, 1:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thekaica View Post
The first was 16BF. The other three were 28BF.
This suggests that the equation of 28BF = old p.s. style service and 16 BF = new and 'enhanced' EWR p.s. service is simplistic. The race to the bottom continues aboard both aircraft types.
Old Nov 12, 15, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
This suggests that the equation of 28BF = old p.s. style service and 16 BF = new and 'enhanced' EWR p.s. service is simplistic. The race to the bottom continues aboard both aircraft types.
I was on a 28F with the worst service I've had in the past years. The wifi worked though. @:-)
Old Nov 12, 15, 10:29 pm

Systemic 757 PS maintenance issue?

Most all PS flights out of SFO today were delayed for maintenance - multiple aircraft getting repaired or "taken out of service." The 10am flight is leaving at 930pm, the 5pm flight was removed from service for an elevator issue, most others appear delayed.

I was on the 5pm. They moved me to the 10am, which they thought was leaving at 730pm. But now that flight is 930p and the 5p is leaving at 9p.

Man, I have never been happier to have moved most of my business to Oneworld. This airline can't seem to operate anything on time.
Old Nov 12, 15, 11:11 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
I have flown on these planes 6 times since the switch to EWR. 5 times, there were mechanical delays.

Amazing that UAL can get people to pony up $2500-3000 for these flights.
Old Nov 12, 15, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
the united fleet site indicates that 3 of the dedicated p.s. birds are in maintenance currently, along with 3 sCO lie-flat 752s. unsurprisingly, when mx happens, there might not be a spare immediately available - especially on the west coast, where a 767 (what seems to be the go-to spare recently) isn't around as often as EWR.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 12, 15 at 11:20 pm Reason: cleanup after move
Old Nov 13, 15, 12:36 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
10 of the 12 SFO-EWR daytime flights were early, ontime, or just slightly late today. Only two saw significant delays, the most notable being the 10am. I imagine they were able to move most of those PAX. Two of the four red eyes tonight are delayed however.
Old Nov 13, 15, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Todays #577 SFO-EWR 7am was downgraded to a 2 class 24F 757. My friend was on it and freaked out but I called and was able to get her on the 11am #535 which is a 764. Me, I am happily on AA in business to JFK.
Old Nov 13, 15, 11:51 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by zoegksf View Post
Todays #577 SFO-EWR 7am was downgraded to a 2 class 24F 757. My friend was on it and freaked out but I called and was able to get her on the 11am #535 which is a 764. Me, I am happily on AA in business to JFK.
what are they doing for people that end up stuck in domestic F on these flights?
Old Nov 13, 15, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
what are they doing for people that end up stuck in domestic F on these flights?
I would say to these folks (in the event of a downgrade) to enjoy the 24F sUA 757 since they will be sadly gone very soon. I actually enjoy the recliner seats and channel 9 - but I'm old school

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 13, 15 at 12:42 pm Reason: trolling comment deleted

Search this Thread
Search Engine: