Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
6am SFO-EWR no menus. FA came around listing 3 options to take orders.
Delay 10-15min waiting for a maintaince sheet to print out.
Delay was just a few minutes.
First tray with fruit/yogurt delivered 1:55 into flight. Plate with quiche 15 min after that. In row 3.
Quizzical look when I asked for a tooth brush kit because the amenity basket was not passed. After 5 min one was brought to my seat.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Traveled on a p.s. dinner flight last week ex-EWR.
Menus handed out, regular BF amenity kits, blankets & pillows.
Food was good; Main dish of Turbot in Asian BBQ sauce was outstanding.
(will post menu details in meal thread).
Overall good flight and early arrival.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
First tray with fruit/yogurt delivered 1:55 into flight. Plate with quiche 15 min after that. In row 3.
Quizzical look when I asked for a tooth brush kit because the amenity basket was not passed. After 5 min one was brought to my seat.
Similar experience... zero amenity basket passed around. Nice comparison vs. pre-delivered "tumi" kit on delta with water bottle
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Another fail, this time EWR->SFO

The 4:30 EWR-SFO flight had a major mechanical delay (2+hours).

The GS rep went on and off my 6:30 flight a couple of times with a few passengers. Then some poor guy with an eastern European accent was frog-marched off the plane with his luggage(!). I'm guessing that he got bumped in favor of some GS. Anyone else on this flight to verify?

Beyond that, the service was characteristically poor.

The flight attendant twice whisked away my wife's wine class before she was finished (without asking about a re-fill). He also tried to take away my meal when I was only half done: "Are you done with that?" -- literally as I had a bite poised mid-air.

It's really tacky to be pressured to finish your whole meal (including crappy sundae) in 15 minutes just to suit the FA's desire to hit the crossword puzzle in the galley. Particularly in "Premium Service"
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato

The flight attendant twice whisked away my wife's wine class before she was finished (without asking about a re-fill). He also tried to take away my meal when I was only half done: "Are you done with that?" -- literally as I had a bite poised mid-air.

It's really tacky to be pressured to finish your whole meal (including crappy sundae) in 15 minutes just to suit the FA's desire to hit the crossword puzzle in the galley. Particularly in "Premium Service"
Since the NY Times crossword puzzles do get harder as the week goes along, imagine what FAs on Friday's flight will need in the way of time to complete the puzzle before securing the cabin for landing.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i hope UAInsider is monitoring this thread. he's reached out via PM to me for a catering issue before that was much less significant than what's going on here.

many realized the death of p.s. became inevitable once JFK was axed.... i just didn't think it would be this bad, this soon.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton

many realized the death of p.s. became inevitable once JFK was axed.... i just didn't think it would be this bad, this soon.
Why not? You take dedicated crews who have worked together and developed a real pride in their service over many years and scatter them into the usual mix of United employees, many of whom see p.s. as just another flight to the other coast and that's exactly what I would expect to see pronto.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Wow. That seems like a LONG time to get meal service.

Were they doing drink runs at least?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Traveled on a p.s. dinner flight last week ex-EWR.
Menus handed out, regular BF amenity kits, blankets & pillows.
Food was good; Main dish of Turbot in Asian BBQ sauce was outstanding.
(will post menu details in meal thread).
Overall good flight and early arrival.
Soudns like ex-EWR are getting int'l catering/provisioning, while ex SFO/LAX are geting ???
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i hope UAInsider is monitoring this thread. he's reached out via PM to me for a catering issue before that was much less significant than what's going on here.

I think the solve is avoiding the sCO configured planes. sUA crews doing PS should know the ropes of how to do it properly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2015 at 12:45 pm Reason: OT content deleted
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Hm.

I was looking at taking ps in early January. Booked in D1 and some schedule changes really have me looking elsewhere.

However, UNITED is still (the only one) charging a premium for one way on my route, and it sounds like the soft product has gotten worse since the move.

I guess I'll either stick with D1 or look at MINT.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Similar experience... zero amenity basket passed around. Nice comparison vs. pre-delivered "tumi" kit on delta with water bottle
I don't mind no amenity kit because it's just extra crap I don't need. I just want the toothbrush. I don't mind the bottle of water not being there since I usually have one with me when board and then it's fine to get one after the meal from the FA.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wow. That seems like a LONG time to get meal service.

Were they doing drink runs at least?
No they were just....slow. Also the gate went up twice so the cockpit could use the lav. They did the whole 1-4 drinks and then started serving the meals. After each row completely served FA would come out with the bread basket and do the rows that had been served. I'm actually trying to put on weight so I had plenty of things to pick at but if I had to hit the plane right from the hotel w/o being able to pick anything up I would have been growling.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I'm coming in ps from SFO in BF, then connecting to GF on to Europe. Is there a GF lounge at EWR, or just a UC (which, I assume, will be swamped in the afternoons, when the whole bank of flights leave for Europe)?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac
I'm coming in ps from SFO in BF, then connecting to GF on to Europe. Is there a GF lounge at EWR, or just a UC (which, I assume, will be swamped in the afternoons, when the whole bank of flights leave for Europe)?
No EWR GFL.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
I think the solve is avoiding the sCO configured planes. sUA crews doing PS should know the ropes of how to do it properly.
My thought as well, as p.s. "JFK"-crews were always quite good. One more reason to look out for the 28 BF-seaters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.