Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 7, 15, 1:42 am

Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow with a Seat in the Fully Reclined Position
Programs: UA Global Services, UA 2 MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Honors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Has anyone noticed how the fares were bumped up substantially for the SFO/EWR trips? The Y fare is now in excess of $2k roundtrip and my travel agent on a whim priced a first class roundtrip for travel next week at $5,500 plus. Whoa.
Old Nov 7, 15, 5:31 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by hopegrad View Post
Has anyone noticed how the fares were bumped up substantially for the SFO/EWR trips? The Y fare is now in excess of $2k roundtrip and my travel agent on a whim priced a first class roundtrip for travel next week at $5,500 plus. Whoa.
I was just pricing a biz SFO/EWR R/T for early December.

$5,500 to depart on Thurs afternoon (flight currently at J9), return Monday morning (also at J9). Funny how in this case I'm clearly incentivized to wait and purchase later (as it's unlikely a flight with that many seats will sell out between now and then)

They price the 4:00pm/6:00am flights knowing the kind of traveler that uses them, but with all the extra capacity and cheaper flights on either side of it I'll either take a redeye or get in the evening before (and stay in the Presidential suite?) for significantly less money.
Old Nov 7, 15, 6:01 am

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Another big fail for SFO->EWR

Yesterday's SFO->EWR 1:35pm flight switched from a domestic (32F) to an intl plane (16F). I could see it on the website the day before. But UAL waited until 30 minutes before the flight, at the gate, to re-arrange people.

One poor couple had booked their seats months in advance, but got bumped back to coach. Last I heard, they were offering $1000 certs for people to give up their seats. A bargain? Well not really, since the F seats can actually cost $2K more.

And then to top it all off, they had a mechanical (probably APU) and the plane arrived an hour and a half late. So much for my dinner in NY. The Uber ride to Midtown cost $95.
Old Nov 7, 15, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
Yesterday's SFO->EWR 1:35pm flight switched from a domestic (32F) to an intl plane (16F).
Did you mean the sUA p.s. domestic with 28F seats? or was there some other
non-p.s. equipment originally scheduled, maybe a 3-class 763 with 32 premium seats (26BF and 6 GF) ?
Old Nov 7, 15, 9:06 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Yesterday's SFO->EWR 1:35pm flight switched from a domestic (32F) to an intl plane (16F). I could see it on the website the day before. But UAL waited until 30 minutes before the flight, at the gate, to re-arrange people.

One poor couple had booked their seats months in advance, but got bumped back to coach. Last I heard, they were offering $1000 certs for people to give up their seats. A bargain? Well not really, since the F seats can actually cost $2K more.

And then to top it all off, they had a mechanical (probably APU) and the plane arrived an hour and a half late. So much for my dinner in NY. The Uber ride to Midtown cost $95.

I feel like, aside from all the FF moaning and groaning, the #1 complaint of corporate travelers and the driver of a lot of the exodus has been the simple issue of RELIABILITY... UA is completely tone deaf. Clear answer for now is to only book rows 1-4.
Old Nov 7, 15, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Part of the reason for the plane swaps lately has been the number of p.s. birds in the shop for extended maintenance trips lately. For the past several months there have been at least 2 birds in maintenance at all times with at one point I believe a peak of 4 birds in.

It could be worse though. N529UA which is one of the old domestic 752s without wifi, etc is scheduled to fly flight 414 today from SFO to EWR.
Old Nov 7, 15, 9:23 am

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Did you mean the sUA p.s. domestic with 28F seats? or was there some other
non-p.s. equipment originally scheduled, maybe a 3-class 763 with 32 premium seats (26BF and 6 GF) ?

Oh that's right, they switched from the 28F to the 16.
Old Nov 7, 15, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by glx View Post
I was just pricing a biz SFO/EWR R/T for early December.

$5,500 to depart on Thurs afternoon (flight currently at J9), return Monday morning (also at J9). Funny how in this case I'm clearly incentivized to wait and purchase later (as it's unlikely a flight with that many seats will sell out between now and then)
They were doing this in the last few months into JFK, too. What looked to me like some pretty seriously wishful pricing with only C and J fares for sale despite a mostly empty BF cabin. Who knows if it's actually working for them.

Note this isn't technically fare pricing - the prices of the fares have remained fairly static, but fare bucket availability, with UA only releasing the expensive buckets -D, C, and J - for sale on many flights.
Old Nov 7, 15, 11:11 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Note this isn't technically fare pricing - the prices of the fares have remained fairly static, but fare bucket availability, with UA only releasing the expensive buckets -D, C, and J - for sale on many flights.
Yes, exactly.

I expect to see P open up at some point in the future, but so long as it's what it is now (D) it's not worth touching - it won't get worse.
Old Nov 9, 15, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
6am SFO-EWR no menus. FA came around listing 3 options to take orders.
Delay 10-15min waiting for a maintaince sheet to print out.
Old Nov 9, 15, 9:12 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (HT BD), Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Delta, BA, Alaska
Yesterday's SFO->EWR 1:35pm flight switched from a domestic (32F) to an intl plane (16F)...
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
... Clear answer for now is to only book rows 1-4.
Do we know for certain that when UA swaps a 16BF plane for a 28BF plane (for whatever reason) they automatically “bump” those reserved in rows 5, 6 and 7? Presuming they ask for volunteers and do not get enough volunteers, is there some other basis for deciding who gets bumped and who does not?
Old Nov 9, 15, 9:22 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post
Do we know for certain that when UA swaps a 16BF plane for a 28BF plane (for whatever reason) they automatically “bump” those reserved in rows 5, 6 and 7? Presuming they ask for volunteers and do not get enough volunteers, is there some other basis for deciding who gets bumped and who does not?
It's a fair question but historically that has been the practice for equipment swaps (particularly A320/A319). With the numerical prominence of the GS program they may pay more attention to status. When I had an inop seat on JFK-SFO a few months back 1K and a full J ticket did bupkis for me, so doubt it would work differently from historical unless they have a policy designed specifically for this route (which is possible... I mean, they should).
Old Nov 9, 15, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post
The only consistent thing I've seen is inconsistency. Yes the system may "automatically" bump the rows missing but IME UA goes back and will add them back in - by what method (amount paid, fare class, status, connections) IDK but it's rarely as simple as relocating everyone in the missing row to Economy. This is why folks here prefer to be seated in the first two rows (in addition to the hope that they might get their food choice)...
Old Nov 9, 15, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
6am SFO-EWR no menus. FA came around listing 3 options to take orders.
Delay 10-15min waiting for a maintaince sheet to print out.
Delay was just a few minutes.
First tray with fruit/yogurt delivered 1:55 into flight. Plate with quiche 15 min after that. In row 3.
Quizzical look when I asked for a tooth brush kit because the amenity basket was not passed. After 5 min one was brought to my seat.
Old Nov 9, 15, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Traveled on a p.s. dinner flight last week ex-EWR.
Menus handed out, regular BF amenity kits, blankets & pillows.
Food was good; Main dish of Turbot in Asian BBQ sauce was outstanding.
(will post menu details in meal thread).
Overall good flight and early arrival.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: