Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
no pre-meal beverage offering
that's standard sCO "service"
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
A couple of flights in the last week and on both the hot towels were being scented with that United 'signature scent' they've been talking about in some articles.
It's been my experience that the scented towels are the norm even in domestic F. Honestly, I had one flight early December where the hot towels were unscented and I (surprisingly) missed it. A very small touch but indeed a nice one. Easy and low cost to implement but definitely adds a little je ne sais quoi to the experience.

I'm pretty easygoing and all, but little touches like this make a difference.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
that's standard sCO "service"
Pre-merger, CO served drinks with the nuts consistently. Since merger, both sets of crews have been inconsistent. No matter what, the fault lies with UA's FA training, both for pre-merger and new FAs. The current FAs include a fairly large percentage who joined since the merger. UA needs to get all FAs to act like they are on one team with one play book.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
Not true. The burger is the same red-eye transcon snack as on other non-p.s. flights (in F of course).

Why can't there be some p.s. for p.s. flights, even if on a red-eye?!? Enhanced service, even if we're talking about a snack, would be nice, not the same average service as some random A320 flight.
Comparing e.g. SFO-EWR and SFO-IAD evening flights:

Up to 8pm: SFO-EWR gets the full p.s. meal service; SFO-IAD gets standard domestic food (so no sundae service or appetizer)
8:01pm to 9pm: SFO-EWR still gets dinner. SFO-IAD gets the hot plated snack.
After 9pm: SFO-EWR has the hot plated snack. SFO-IAD gets nothing at all other than a pass of the snack basket with popcorn, pretzels, etc (flight code is "Refreshments").

The snack service isn't particularly premium, but most of the world isn't looking for a full meal after 9 o'clock (see all the complaining about the dinner service on SFO/LAX-AKL/SYD/MEL). And when I missed a dinner EWR-SFO flight due to traffic and got booked on an 11pm instead, I was sure glad to have some real food on the plane to complement lounge snacks instead of a little bag of popcorn like I get on a 60-minute puddle jump.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by findark
After 9pm: SFO-EWR has the hot plated snack. SFO-IAD gets nothing at all other than a pass of the snack basket with popcorn, pretzels, etc (flight code is "Refreshments").
Not true. Full transcon redeyes get the warm snack as well.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rch4u
Huh. This does not match the published meal schedule, but it does seem to match the currently entered GDS meal codes. I haven't flown home via IAD-SFO in a couple months, but it definitely used to be that the 8:30 flight was Snack and the 10pm one was Refreshments.

Must be a recent change. I stand corrected.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Yup, just had the burger on SFO-RDU 945 PM red-eye last week.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
First time flying p.s. since the Polaris launch...the amenity kit is now a mini-blue square kit...kind of looks like a CD case.

The menu now just says 'warm cookie' instead of 'signature triple chocolate chip' cookie. Wonder if it might be a different flavor?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
The cookies are apparently no longer baked on board. Just reheated now?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
This - I received a hot chicken sandwich on my last PDX-EWR redeye

Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
The cookies are apparently no longer baked on board. Just reheated now?
Everyone keeps saying that, but I've seen them baking them within the past month. Maybe they are "half baked" and then continue baking the dough on plane. Either way, I enjoy them.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Everyone keeps saying that, but I've seen them baking them within the past month. Maybe they are "half baked" and then continue baking the dough on plane. Either way, I enjoy them.
My 2.25 yr old nephew on his first flights this week. Excited at: Taking off? No. Landing? No. Big chocolate chip cookie? YES.

I didn't notice but I never thought that they were baked from 100% raw dough on board, I always figured it was some half-baked thing to get them soft/warm and to waft the smell through the cabin.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
First time flying p.s. since the Polaris launch...the amenity kit is now a mini-blue square kit...kind of looks like a CD case.

The menu now just says 'warm cookie' instead of 'signature triple chocolate chip' cookie. Wonder if it might be a different flavor?
Cookie I had last night was definitely the same as mainline has been serving all last year.

Last edited by findark; Jan 14, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
Cookie I had last night was definitely the same as mainline as been serving all last year.
I slept through it so don't know. Will try to stay awake for the return on Monday
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Cookie I had last week was the same it's been since I've been flying PS the past year or so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.