Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 4, 16, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Phil Level View Post
Had an EWR-LAX segment yesterday, with new Saks 5th Ave pillow and 2 blankets... both a huge improvment over the old ones.
Had same on EWR-SFO this weekend, except I had two pillows. I also got a teddy bear and what I believe is the full international amenity kit. The differences may have been because it was a 777 flight.

(Edited to add reference to two pillows)
Old Dec 4, 16, 1:59 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
Flew EWR-LAX on Friday and got the new bedding, the bear and a small amenity kit that was missing the sleep side contents.. Had the Chicken from the menu and it was very tasty.
Old Dec 7, 16, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
So will the levels of service be:
  1. Polaris
  2. p.s. Business
  3. Other premium cabins
Because United Polaris FAQs writes:
Originally Posted by UNITED.com
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?At first, our p.s. premium cabin service will not change significantly. As of December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
So it remains with the same service as before which was BusinessFirst, not regular Business. Now it gets the Saks bedding as well with no other changes, meaning not going down in quality, but also not getting the improved Polaris quality - at least that's how I read it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 7, 16 at 11:49 am Reason: cleanup after move
Old Dec 9, 16, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta Plat; UA 1MM (former 1K)
Originally Posted by nycityny View Post
Interesting - I flew the day before LAX-EWR and we only got one blanket. We got the big rolled up Saks blanket
Same, last night on p.s. service EWR to SFO. A vast improvement.

If you found the old pillow and blanket in your dorm room, reunion weekend, you'd be at Target on Saturday buying something for the next two nights. These, you'd use. I was actually reminded of people stealing from hotels, though I wouldn't.

The amenities kit is tricky for the bottom line. How do you make one so nice that our daughter texts from 1A on a 747 to be sure she's not stealing if she keeps it, but regulars pass (I have better versions along of the contents)?

I thought about keeping the new zippered p.s. amenities kit, and easily passed. If I want to spoil myself, I buy something destination-thematic like these pouches.
Old Dec 28, 16, 4:24 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
No amenity kit

Flew on the 9:21pm LAX-EWR redeye last night. No amenity kit was given, though the Saks pillow and blanket took up tons of space while trying to keep them out of the way. Is the lack of an amenity kit standard on redeyes?

I didn't have a pre-flight beverage expecting to be offered one after takeoff. Instead the flight attendant came to offer me the snack and so I asked for the cocktail at that time. The drink arrived a few minutes before the snack. The "meal" consisted of the burger on pretzel bun with lettuce, onions and mayo on the side. Oh, and ketchup and mustard packets like you'd get at a fast food place. You certainly forgo the premium meal experience when flying overnight.

At least we landed 45 minutes early.
Old Dec 28, 16, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Flew on the 9:21pm LAX-EWR redeye last night. No amenity kit was given, though the Saks pillow and blanket took up tons of space while trying to keep them out of the way. Is the lack of an amenity kit standard on redeyes?

I didn't have a pre-flight beverage expecting to be offered one after takeoff. Instead the flight attendant came to offer me the snack and so I asked for the cocktail at that time. The drink arrived a few minutes before the snack. The "meal" consisted of the burger on pretzel bun with lettuce, onions and mayo on the side. Oh, and ketchup and mustard packets like you'd get at a fast food place. You certainly forgo the premium meal experience when flying overnight.

At least we landed 45 minutes early.
You should have gotten a kit. I've gotten them on all my ps redeyes.

You're right about the meal, but I think this is UA catering to its ps premium cabin clientele. On all the pa redeyes I've been on most of the cabin has been focused on as much sleep as possible. Myself included - though I've found the "snack" to be at least decent every time.

Honestly on most of my SFO-EWR redeyes I wouldn't even be happy with 45 minutes early...that's sleep I'm missing out on!
Old Dec 28, 16, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by phxrsng View Post
You're right about the meal, but I think this is UA catering to its ps premium cabin clientele. On all the pa redeyes I've been on most of the cabin has been focused on as much sleep as possible. Myself included - though I've found the "snack" to be at least decent every time.
The snacks sure beat the heck out of popcorn and pretzels, which is all you'll get on a standard-issue tcon. It's not a dinner service, but they're figuring many people would prefer to lay down and sleep right away, and had dinner beforehand.
Old Dec 28, 16, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
The "meal" consisted of the burger on pretzel bun with lettuce, onions and mayo on the side.
Some people really like that burger.

I'm with the crowd that tries to go to sleep as soon as we're airborne.
Old Dec 28, 16, 6:07 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by phxrsng View Post

Honestly on most of my SFO-EWR redeyes I wouldn't even be happy with 45 minutes early...that's sleep I'm missing out on!
Yeah, I kind of felt that way when the bright lights and loud voice came on so early "in preparation for landing." I wonder why it takes a half hour to prepare...
Old Dec 28, 16, 7:35 pm

A couple of flights in the last week and on both the hot towels were being scented with that United 'signature scent' they've been talking about in some articles.
Old Dec 28, 16, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA1K .6MM
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post
A couple of flights in the last week and on both the hot towels were being scented with that United 'signature scent' they've been talking about in some articles.
It's an interesting scene for sure. I dare say it's a bit Hermes d'Orange Verte-ish, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Will UAL have a scene from that instantly reminds customers of the brand when they encounter it, a la Rhapahody in Blue? Probably not, but I still really appreciate the effort on the small details.
Old Dec 29, 16, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Plat (21 yrs elite), B9, AA
Originally Posted by findark View Post
The snacks sure beat the heck out of popcorn and pretzels, which is all you'll get on a standard-issue tcon. It's not a dinner service, but they're figuring many people would prefer to lay down and sleep right away, and had dinner beforehand.
Not true. The burger is the same red-eye transcon snack as on other non-p.s. flights (in F of course).

Why can't there be some p.s. for p.s. flights, even if on a red-eye?!? Enhanced service, even if we're talking about a snack, would be nice, not the same average service as some random A320 flight. nycityny got no amenity kit, no pre-meal beverage offering, and the same catering as any other flight. UA inconsistency, as always.

It usually seems to me pretty clear who wants to sleep and who's awake. The latter shouldn't get shafted.
Old Dec 29, 16, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by higher_flyer View Post
no pre-meal beverage offering
that's standard sCO "service"
Old Dec 29, 16, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post
It's been my experience that the scented towels are the norm even in domestic F. Honestly, I had one flight early December where the hot towels were unscented and I (surprisingly) missed it. A very small touch but indeed a nice one. Easy and low cost to implement but definitely adds a little je ne sais quoi to the experience.

I'm pretty easygoing and all, but little touches like this make a difference.
Old Dec 29, 16, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
that's standard sCO "service"
Pre-merger, CO served drinks with the nuts consistently. Since merger, both sets of crews have been inconsistent. No matter what, the fault lies with UA's FA training, both for pre-merger and new FAs. The current FAs include a fairly large percentage who joined since the merger. UA needs to get all FAs to act like they are on one team with one play book.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: