Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Any reports of RPUs clearing recently on PS flights?
My 2016 experience has been dismal. I think only one RPU cleared and that was a LAX-EWR flight delayed 3 hours, where most of the forward cabin changed to other flights.

I'm planning a January LAX-EWR-LAX trip, and wondering if applying RPUs makes any sense, or if it's better to hope for a cash upgrade offer (which never seems to happen with RPU waitlisted).

TIA,

Phil
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Phil Level
My 2016 experience has been dismal. I think only one RPU cleared and that was a LAX-EWR flight delayed 3 hours, where most of the forward cabin changed to other flights.

I'm planning a January LAX-EWR-LAX trip, and wondering if applying RPUs makes any sense, or if it's better to hope for a cash upgrade offer (which never seems to happen with RPU waitlisted).
I've cleared two RPUs for November and December of this year. Both into open R at booking, a Friday and a Saturday evening EWR-SFO.

You can fish for cash offers - you should get the "TOD" priced offer as a popup immediately at booking (theory is if ZN is open) and going reported price seems to be about $319. If you don't get the offer, or if you don't like it, just cancel. p.s. J is obscenely expensive sometimes though... I'm flying SFO-IAH-LGA next month because I missed the 30-day boat and somehow even P space is a unicorn on a Tuesday, let alone R
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC

TIA,

Phil
Phil - see my above screenshot of my boarding pass EWR-LAX 1/21/17 (a few posts up). It was confirmed at booking using an RPU (and flight was under $200). When I booked this a few weeks ago, Saturdays in Jan for both LAX and SFO had a lot of availability. Good luck!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton

TIA,

Phil
i cleared 4 RPU's this month SFO-EWR. I have no idea what's going on
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by findark
I've cleared two RPUs for November and December of this year. Both into open R at booking, a Friday and a Saturday evening EWR-SFO.

You can fish for cash offers - you should get the "TOD" priced offer as a popup immediately at booking (theory is if ZN is open) and going reported price seems to be about $319. If you don't get the offer, or if you don't like it, just cancel. p.s. J is obscenely expensive sometimes though... I'm flying SFO-IAH-LGA next month because I missed the 30-day boat and somehow even P space is a unicorn on a Tuesday, let alone R
Thanks for the tip!
I booked our Jan trip, both flight are mid week. Got a buy up offer on the return EWR-LAX, including base fare about $600. Not great, but a whole lot better than the $1599 Z tickets being offered by the pricing engine.

I tried this also for a December EWR-LAX segment on a Saturday, but the buy up offered was $1319 on top of base fare.

Now I still have to decide whether to apply RPUs to the outbound segment or wait and see if I get an upgrade offer. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by tstauck
Phil - see my above screenshot of my boarding pass EWR-LAX 1/21/17 (a few posts up). It was confirmed at booking using an RPU (and flight was under $200). When I booked this a few weeks ago, Saturdays in Jan for both LAX and SFO had a lot of availability. Good luck!
You got luckier than me. I looked at both Jan 21 and 28 EWR-LAX, and the only R inventory for both days is an 8 AM flight on Jan 28. Not the date I need to travel, but I looked anyway. Thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Now I still have to decide whether to apply RPUs to the outbound segment or wait and see if I get an upgrade offer. Thoughts
We haven't done enough data collection to have a great picture, but I don't believe applying an RPU will limit your ability to see the upgrade fee offer at OLCI (believe it's inventory dependent only). I would definitely waitlist it; should have a decent chance of clearing on a Saturday in December, especially if it's one of the last flights (they seem to be a pretty good bet for open R).
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Just boarded EWR-SFO - they have the new Saks bedding and amenity kits out! Wonder if the food will also be the new stuff...

Couple pictures of the bedding and the amenity kit. No bears for us

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2016 at 11:28 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Just boarded EWR-SFO - they have the new Saks bedding and amenity kits out! Wonder if the food will also be the new stuff...
Wow - I didn't know some of the Polaris goodies would show up in p.s. with int'l rollout.

I guess it makes sense - no need to stock a separate linen/pillow supply for p.s.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sCO or sUA plane?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:34 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder if the food will also be the new stuff...
No.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by findark
sCO or sUA plane?
sUA 772.

Menu isn't changed, though, it seems...

Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:40 pm

sUA 772.

Reality is these PS menus have been Polaris-like for about a year.

Only real change would be better wine and the extra dessert choices.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:52 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
sUA 772.

Looks like lipstick on a pig...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:00 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

POLARIS ≠ p.s.

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
At first, our p.s. premium cabin service will not change significantly. As of December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 2016 at 6:14 pm Reason: snarky comment removed
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:07 am

For those who really care about the details - the nuts on my p.s. flight were served in a new rammequin, but the rest of the plateware was the same. Not really sure why the nuts warranted the new goods (they were also more toasty than usual).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.