Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 3, 15, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Thanks for the detailed report, goodeats! ^

Btw, what's in a UA-style Caprese Sandwich?
Sure thing.

It seemed pretty basic. A cheese spread of some kind (I assume Mozz-based) with sliced tomatoes and basil. It was served on what looked like an Asiago bun.

I will try to get around to posting the photos in the "Lets Eat" thread today.

I was expecting transition issues. United Club check in will get much better as each desk agent learns how to handle. On board, there are some service differences which will take some adjustment as new crews work ps flights that have unique items. (water bottles, menus) But bad crews will continue to be bad crews.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 3, 15 at 6:27 pm Reason: removed deleted quote and response
Old Nov 3, 15, 9:27 am

Programs: 1K
Angry EWR- SFO OCT 26th- LOUSY!

Ive been bummed out about the switch from JFK to EWR since I first heard about it so was a bit apprehensive about my first trip from EWR.
First off, is UAL really trying to get away with putting the 16 seat 752 Int tin buckets on these routes with no wifi and old IFE after their regular flyers have become used to the newer 28 seat aircraft?
Why are they flying these tin buckets on the most popular routes and the newer ones on red eyes etc? it seems its mostly 16 seaters in and out of LAX.
Gone are the days of gambling on an upgrade clearing a week or so before departure, there were 44 people on one upgrade list to LAX on 10/25??? really? There are virtually no R seats until 2016 available.
My in-flight experience was lousy, the two FAs in the cabin were like a couple of siamese cats. No menu was given for the lunch order and when I asked if it was a P.S flight the response was- "I don't know"….. I about fell out of my seat. That combined with having to reset the IFE 4 times during the flight, no WIFI on the buckets (flyer beware) and then denied access to the lounge in SFO left my head spinning. Ive been flying PS every two weeks for the past 4 years and this was the straw that broke the camels back. As soon as AA comes up with a new 2016 Status Match Ill be saying Sayonara United.
Signed.

Pissed off 1K flyer.
Old Nov 3, 15, 9:35 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by flyersba View Post
Ive been bummed out about the switch from JFK to EWR since I first heard about it so was a bit apprehensive about my first trip from EWR.
First off, is UAL really trying to get away with putting the 16 seat 752 Int tin buckets on these routes with no wifi and old IFE after their regular flyers have become used to the newer 28 seat aircraft?
All of the Int'l configured 752's have satellite (Ku) wifi.
Old Nov 3, 15, 9:48 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by glx View Post
I've found, like most UA wifi, reliability of the wifi on these configurations is poor. flyersba, I think, is incorrect about the relative age of the aircraft...
Old Nov 3, 15, 9:49 am

Programs: 1K
All the Int'l 752's that Ive flown domestically are wifi "enabled" Ive yet to see one work on a transcon flight. Maybe its just bad luck………...
Old Nov 3, 15, 9:58 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Maybe its just bad luck………...
No - just bad technology/implementation.
Old Nov 3, 15, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by glx View Post
And the Ku wifi is superior to GoGo on the sUA ps aircraft.

Plenty of reasons to be critical about new ps with sCO aircraft into EWR, but this isn't one of them.
Old Nov 3, 15, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA GS; AA CK; DL Silver Medallion, SPG Plat (Lifetime); Mariott Rwds Plat; Hertz Plat
LAX - EWR, Ovt 29th redeye

This was my first ps redeye LAX to EWR. I usually fly AA10 LAX-JFK which is still the gold standard for me. Plane was a newer 28 seat B752.

I was expecting more of a transatlantic 1st class cabin with diagonal seating pods, but it's more like a business class with lie flat side by sides.

Sat in seat 5A which is first seat next to boarding door and across from galley.
Weird to have to literally see every passenger as they board the plane. Also you're sitting across from FA's on takeoff and approach. They were surprisingly chatty while folks were trying to get some sleep.

IFE was decent and I appreciated the mix of new and classic movies. Pretty much hit the sack as soon as we started rolling so can't comment on food. I was surprised that UA doesn't provide you with an amenity kit. Instead FA came around with toothpaste, sleep masks on a tray.

Overal not bad for racking up some miles but UA still feels a little behind the lead in this arena.

On a separate note LAX is a total dump with lots of construction and few food options. I wound up walking to Lemonade in Terminal 5 (Delta) to grab some decent grub. The UA lounge in particular has room for improvement. Crowded, with lots of seats and few amenities. I'm not kidding when I say that at 10pm, there were more people inside the lounge than out I the terminal.

Also it seems the system has not yet caught up as the attendant had trouble checking in my BP despite it being a ps flight. She was aware that it was misreading though and eventually just let me in.

Overall 3/5 stars for the flight. 2/5 for LAX. Will prob stick with ps to fly direct to EWR, but may try flying out of SFO next time.
Old Nov 3, 15, 6:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Nephroid View Post
... On a separate note LAX is a total dump with lots of construction and few food options. .... The UA lounge in particular has room for improvement. Crowded, with lots of seats and few amenities. ...
This is due to the ongoing construction of the new lounge above the present lounge -- the present lounge is significantly smaller that the previous lounge in that spot and the T6 lounge was closed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...y-changes.html
Old Nov 3, 15, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Thanks for the detailed report, goodeats! ^

Btw, what's in a UA-style Caprese Sandwich?
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Sure thing.

It seemed pretty basic. A cheese spread of some kind (I assume Mozz-based) with sliced tomatoes and basil. It was served on what looked like an Asiago bun.

I will try to get around to posting the photos in the "Lets Eat" thread today.
I have posted pics in the "Let's eat" thread.

Redeye Snack: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25659394-post1114.html

Breakfast: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25659476-post1115.html
Old Nov 5, 15, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Flew on p.s. in BF today. Service was just... OK. My biggest gripe was that somehow the entire BF cabin waited for all of E+ to get off before they were able to get off even though there were two FAs, one of which was serving the BF cabin, standing there.

Otherwise, the service was only marginally better than regular domestic F (as far as food options)
Old Nov 5, 15, 4:12 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
. My biggest gripe was that somehow the entire BF cabin waited for all of E+ to get off before they were able to get off even though there were two FAs, one of which was serving the BF cabin, standing there.
That was mostly the fault of the first person in the BF queue who was way too polite letting others depart first. And kind of unusual for the type of person who generally flies in BF.
Old Nov 5, 15, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Flew on p.s. in BF today. Service was just... OK. My biggest gripe was that somehow the entire BF cabin waited for all of E+ to get off before they were able to get off even though there were two FAs, one of which was serving the BF cabin, standing there.

Otherwise, the service was only marginally better than regular domestic F (as far as food options)
Originally Posted by nycityny View Post
That was mostly the fault of the first person in the BF queue who was way too polite letting others depart first. And kind of unusual for the type of person who generally flies in BF.
FAs used to block Y pax from deplaning until BF had a chance.
Old Nov 6, 15, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Exec Plat; DL Silver
All the Int'l 752's that Ive flown domestically are wifi "enabled" Ive yet to see one work on a transcon flight. Maybe its just bad luck………...
I flew my first ps flight from LAX into EWR this evening, on a pmCO 752. Wifi did not work at all, and the flight attendants said that it had been written up as inoperable before the flight. Of course, no announcement was made before the flight so I could have given my office a heads up that I would be out of touch.

Very, very disappointing. I used to be bummed about slow speeds with Gogo, but I don't believe I ever had wifi that did not work at all in years of LAX-JFK flights. Talk about a way to turn off new customers who are giving the EWR route a first try! United's indifference to a consistent experience is good news for DL and UA I am sure.

My return flight is on a 28-business class seat pmUA plane. I assume that is no longer sold by gogo, but is the wifi service at least more reliable?
Old Nov 6, 15, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
First ever PS, in BF beginning of this week, EWR/SFO (connecting from MAD/EWR). Overall, meh. Getting into the UA Club no issue, though I was doubly qualified based on INTL BF connection and PS BF.

Cleaners terrible (also commented on by purser) -- many pillows missing pillowcases, some seats missing the headcloths (or whatever they're called), some missing headsets. Almost all got sorted out pre-departure. Moderately amusing (maybe) -- quickly ran out of Cabernet because only 1 bottle was boarded, vs. 3 bottles of Merlot -- I didn't care, drinking Buffalo Trace.

Crew was great (think it was sUA based on my experience and their demeanor). Catering not much better than regular domestic F. I was in 4B (7-row version), and the overhead light from the galley behind me (on the right side) blazed directly into my sight unless I fully reclined and pushed all the way back into the pod.

Bottom line, I wouldn't pay for it, and assuming I had E+ aisle, wouldn't care that much about not being up front.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: