Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 7, 16, 1:14 pm
  #706  
Used to be MBS PremExec
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Saginaw, MI USA (MBS)
Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
Posts: 5,319
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
What does a one-way EWR-LAX PS ticket cost? $885 is the answer.

I got $885 PQD's on that leg of my C-RTW.
My freshly booked P class says $385! (But SFO-EWR, booked as mentioned a few posts up, as part of an ex-China itinerary).

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Aug 7, 16 at 10:21 pm
MBS MillionMiler is offline  
Old Aug 7, 16, 1:29 pm
  #707  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 7,812
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
What does a one-way EWR-LAX PS ticket cost? $885 is the answer.

I got $885 PQD's on that leg of my C-RTW.
You can get P fares for as low as $599 one-way. The PQD allocation as part of a multi-leg itinerary might say otherwise.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 16, 1:36 pm
  #708  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,764
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
What does a one-way EWR-LAX PS ticket cost? $885 is the answer.

I got $885 PQD's on that leg of my C-RTW.
Qualify that as referring to the Z fare (which is what the RTW books into IIRC).

The P can be quite a bit cheaper, depending on the particular fare (there are many).
Kacee is offline  
Old Aug 7, 16, 9:04 pm
  #709  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 32,569
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Qualify that as referring to the Z fare (which is what the RTW books into IIRC).
Yep, indeed that was a Z fare.
stimpy is offline  
Old Aug 28, 16, 3:58 pm
  #710  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 7,812
Noticed that my mom is flying LAX-EWR on a pmCO 772 on Labor Day...wonder if widebodies will continue to pop up with more frequency as the summer seasonal routes begin to roll off.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 16, 8:02 pm
  #711  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 52,026
Are the $598.10 SFO<>EWR PS P fares gone? Appears to be $648.10 now.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Sep 1, 16, 8:57 pm
  #712  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,338
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Are the $598.10 SFO<>EWR PS P fares gone? Appears to be $648.10 now.
Unfortunately so (sort of). UA has been chafing constantly against B6's price point.. no guarantees it won't come back later though. It's been done in a strange way, though. There's a Q surcharge which can't be avoided tacked on to the usual base fare:

Code:
  THE PROVISIONS BELOW APPLY ONLY AS FOLLOWS -
  TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON UA.
    A SURCHARGE OF USD 46.51 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE
    ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL.
         NOTE -
          THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE
          COMPONENT BASIS.
This structure seems to appear randomly on premium fares (and not economy ones) which throws off the balance of the fare differential.

Fare table (base fare amount ex taxes, fees, and Q):

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn    Price   Tp  AP  Min  Max   Days    Rf  
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 UA  VAP30UPN       P   J    $543.26  OW  30                      N
 UA  VAP21UPN       P   J    $636.28  OW  21                      N
 UA  YAP21UPN       P   J    $915.35  OW  21                      N
 UA  VAP14UPN       P   J  $1,008.37  OW  14                      N
 UA  QAP07UPN       P   J  $1,222.33  OW   7                      N
 UA  VAZ30UPN       Z   J  $1,333.95  OW  30                      N
 UA  QAP00UPN       P   J  $1,380.47  OW                          N
 UA  YAZ14UPN       Z   J  $1,473.49  OW  14                      N
 UA  YAZ07UPN       Z   J  $1,687.44  OW   7                      N
 UA  YAZ00UPY       Z   J  $2,078.14  OW                          Y
 UA  QAD07UPN       D   J  $2,245.58  OW   7                      N
 UA  QAD00UPY       D   J  $2,421.40  OW                          Y
 UA  QAC00UPY       C   J  $2,636.28  OW                          Y
 UA  JUA            J   J  $2,807.44  OW                          Y
 UA  J              J   J  $9,448.37  OW                          Y
findark is offline  
Old Sep 5, 16, 2:15 pm
  #713  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 3,231
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Unfortunately so (sort of). UA has been chafing constantly against B6's price point.. no guarantees it won't come back later though. It's been done in a strange way, though. There's a Q surcharge which can't be avoided tacked on to the usual base fare:

Code:
  THE PROVISIONS BELOW APPLY ONLY AS FOLLOWS -
  TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON UA.
    A SURCHARGE OF USD 46.51 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE
    ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL.
         NOTE -
          THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE
          COMPONENT BASIS.
This structure seems to appear randomly on premium fares (and not economy ones) which throws off the balance of the fare differential.

Fare table (base fare amount ex taxes, fees, and Q):

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn    Price   Tp  AP  Min  Max   Days    Rf  
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 UA  VAP30UPN       P   J    $543.26  OW  30                      N
 UA  VAP21UPN       P   J    $636.28  OW  21                      N
 UA  YAP21UPN       P   J    $915.35  OW  21                      N
 UA  VAP14UPN       P   J  $1,008.37  OW  14                      N
 UA  QAP07UPN       P   J  $1,222.33  OW   7                      N
 UA  VAZ30UPN       Z   J  $1,333.95  OW  30                      N
 UA  QAP00UPN       P   J  $1,380.47  OW                          N
 UA  YAZ14UPN       Z   J  $1,473.49  OW  14                      N
 UA  YAZ07UPN       Z   J  $1,687.44  OW   7                      N
 UA  YAZ00UPY       Z   J  $2,078.14  OW                          Y
 UA  QAD07UPN       D   J  $2,245.58  OW   7                      N
 UA  QAD00UPY       D   J  $2,421.40  OW                          Y
 UA  QAC00UPY       C   J  $2,636.28  OW                          Y
 UA  JUA            J   J  $2,807.44  OW                          Y
 UA  J              J   J  $9,448.37  OW                          Y
Even on a last-minute purchase with only one seat left in BusinessFirst on a PS flight, the most expensive fare I've seen is the $2,421.40. Do these fares greater than $2,500 ever get used?
physioprof is offline  
Old Sep 5, 16, 2:43 pm
  #714  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,338
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Even on a last-minute purchase with only one seat left in BusinessFirst on a PS flight, the most expensive fare I've seen is the $2,421.40. Do these fares greater than $2,500 ever get used?
It's pretty rare, as for whatever reason they pretty much never set D less than C on p.s. They could, though, which would bring the C fare into play. I have pretty much always seen J=C across the board, so I doubt anyone actually has the J booking code.
findark is offline  
Old Sep 5, 16, 3:22 pm
  #715  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 3,231
Originally Posted by findark View Post
It's pretty rare, as for whatever reason they pretty much never set D less than C on p.s. They could, though, which would bring the C fare into play. I have pretty much always seen J=C across the board, so I doubt anyone actually has the J booking code.
I'm not sure I understand, as it looks from that list of fares that the two D fares are each less than the C fare.
physioprof is offline  
Old Sep 5, 16, 3:42 pm
  #716  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX
Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Posts: 1,324
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
I'm not sure I understand, as it looks from that list of fares that the two D fares are each less than the C fare.
He means that the D bucket is rarely less than C. As in if a flight is C1 it will likely be D1 as well - meaning one wouldn't need to purchase the C fare.

I've actually seen the J come into play based off of my corporate discount. Our J discount was big enough that once D=0 it would kick straight to J. Stilly pricey even with a heavy discount.
jmanirish is offline  
Old Sep 5, 16, 4:50 pm
  #717  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 7,812
Any idea what the late-night westbound snack is like? I am flying EWR-LAX with a 9:45pm takeoff time in a month...wondering if I should bother staying up for the snack or just go lights out when wheels are up.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Sep 5, 16, 5:01 pm
  #718  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 52,026
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Any idea what the late-night westbound snack is like? I am flying EWR-LAX with a 9:45pm takeoff time in a month...wondering if I should bother staying up for the snack or just go lights out when wheels are up.
The http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nessfirst.html thread has a recent posting SFO-EWR last night posting, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26872423-post453.html . There may be more in that thread.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Sep 5, 16, 5:09 pm
  #719  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 3,231
Originally Posted by jmanirish View Post
He means that the D bucket is rarely less than C. As in if a flight is C1 it will likely be D1 as well - meaning one wouldn't need to purchase the C fare.

I've actually seen the J come into play based off of my corporate discount. Our J discount was big enough that once D=0 it would kick straight to J. Stilly pricey even with a heavy discount.
Ah, got it. Were your J fares with this discount > $2500?

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Any idea what the late-night westbound snack is like? I am flying EWR-LAX with a 9:45pm takeoff time in a month...wondering if I should bother staying up for the snack or just go lights out when wheels are up.
Get a couple of tacos or dumplings in EWR before the flight. The taco place (the 130s concourse) and dumpling place (the one-teens concourse) are both outstanding!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 5, 16 at 5:15 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
physioprof is offline  
Old Sep 5, 16, 5:31 pm
  #720  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX
Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Posts: 1,324
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Ah, got it. Were your J fares with this discount > $2500?
No, not at all. I don't recall exactly but if memory serves me, the J were around $1700-$1900.
jmanirish is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: