Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s. Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom theyll also receive a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
Most of the foreign OALs I've flown manage to keep their cabins in notably better condition. LX's 340s for example are super old, and just as well-used as UA's 752s, but the cabins are maintained in pristine condition.
Getting a bit off-topic, but I've never been on a PS plane that was as shabby and dirty as an Alitalia EWR->FCO a few years ago. (Although the food was incredible: three different pastas served from an aisle cart.)
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:17 pm

How do I know I'm booking a p.s. flight?

So I'm on round 3 of booking a flight via EWR that doesn't get complimentary upgrades because it's p.s. Ok, I'm unlikely to get upgraded anyway, but it's annoying to have no idea until check-in that it's not even possible. These are not the old style where there's no E-, so I don't know how to tell. Is everything SFO-EWR p.s. these days?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Feorlen
So I'm on round 3 of booking a flight via EWR that doesn't get complimentary upgrades because it's p.s. Ok, I'm unlikely to get upgraded anyway, but it's annoying to have no idea until check-in that it's not even possible. These are not the old style where there's no E-, so I don't know how to tell. Is everything SFO-EWR p.s. these days?
Yep.

LAX, too, and visa versa.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Feorlen
I don't know how to tell. Is everything SFO-EWR p.s. these days?
All flights EWR-SFO/LAX are ps. Just as all flights JFK-SFO/LAX used to be ps, before they closed the JFK station.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Yeah well those Swiss A340s aren't doing a 5-hour domestic shuttle service.
It was just an example. Everything I've flown intra-Asia on CX, KE, TG, or SQ has been much cleaner. UA just does not clean their cabins thoroughly and these "premium service" aircraft are getting really grungy.

The LX 340s are doing 12 hour turns back and forth from SFO. So half as many boardings, but equally used.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Interestingly, sometimes the flight crews don't even know they're working a ps flight. This was the case on a two-class 777 flying EWR->LAX on July 29. I was chatting with very nice FSC/purser, and I said something about how the ps flights are really nice, and she said, "PS? What's that?" I explained, and she was interested to hear about it. This was an international pmCO flight crew, so not so surprising they weren't aware of ps.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:54 pm

My impression, as an outside observer (I don't fly transcons, seeing as how I live in the middle of the country), is that UA seems to be deemphasizing "ps" branding, and just offering lie-flat J with some international standards for on-board service up front.

Moving from JFK to EWR was part of that (and I realize there were competitive / financial considerations for making the move). When the remaining ex-UA 752s retire, I'd be surprised if they are replaced by a domestic narrowbody with lie-flats. Either they will use more of the HD 777s, or. If they do get new narrowbodies, they will probably be something like the A321LR for use similar to the ex-CO 752s (short TATL, plus EWR-west coast transcons).
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:59 pm

So the mobile app and web site still show the possible CPU upgrade until check in? That should be a really easy IT fix (at least for anyone that is not UA IT).
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by altbg
So the mobile app and web site still show the possible CPU upgrade until check in? That should be a really easy IT fix (at least for anyone that is not UA IT).
Not in my experience, but it has been a few months now since my last p.s. flight
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It was just an example. Everything I've flown intra-Asia on CX, KE, TG, or SQ has been much cleaner. UA just does not clean their cabins thoroughly and these "premium service" aircraft are getting really grungy.
You are right. And the same goes for lounges. Those chairs and upholstery take a beating, but the good airlines are proactive about replacing the upholstery regularly. It is simply a cost issue. Other airlines take the decision to spend the money to have a good clean product. UA doesn't invest quite as much per seat/airplane/lounge.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
When the remaining ex-UA 752s retire, I'd be surprised if they are replaced by a domestic narrowbody with lie-flats. Either they will use more of the HD 777s, or. If they do get new narrowbodies, they will probably be something like the A321LR for use similar to the ex-CO 752s (short TATL, plus EWR-west coast transcons).
Maybe towards the end of the 752 retirement they will use the 763 as a replacement. DL seems to have no problem using 76W on the transcon run.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Maybe towards the end of the 752 retirement they will use the 763 as a replacement. DL seems to have no problem using 76W on the transcon run.
Aren't both of those birds pretty old? I do hope that UA is thinking about their next-gen premium TCON offering...anything NYC-LAX/SFO is getting pretty competitive in terms of products these days. If they could figure out a way to get Polaris on an A321, that would be great...
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Aren't both of those birds pretty old? I do hope that UA is thinking about their next-gen premium TCON offering...anything NYC-LAX/SFO is getting pretty competitive in terms of products these days. If they could figure out a way to get Polaris on an A321, that would be great...
I'm fairly certain the window portions (1/1 or "2") would fit into even a 757. 4 across (or "8") across Polaris fits in a 3-3-3 777, to 2 across ("4") should fit into a 3-3 aircraft. In fact they could probably make everything wider than in the big planes...
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
No idea what the fleet plan is, but that would seem to be a good fit for the route, particularly since they're converting all the 763s to two-class. IIRC, SFO-JFK used to be primarily a 767 route before they came up with the "premium" 752 concept.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
No idea what the fleet plan is, but that would seem to be a good fit for the route, particularly since they're converting all the 763s to two-class. IIRC, SFO-JFK used to be primarily a 767 route before they came up with the "premium" 752 concept.
LAX service too was 767s, prior to the roll out of PS. We even used to get 767s on BOS transcons; now its a mix of 757s and 737s.

The 757s are in need of refurb, based on the three experiences that I've had over the summer from EWR to SFO in J and proactive maintenance/cleaning would definitely improve the cabin. That said, the three flights I have taken with them this summer have all been pretty nice, soft-product-wise. At least the FAs have been keeping the beverage glass re-filled ^ I've got another r/t to SFO on the 19th; 'gotta remember to snap a few photos.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.