Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s. Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom theyll also receive a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old May 11, 2016, 9:56 am

UAL has only recently begun giving out p.s "amenities kits". pmUA had a basket that came around with earplugs and eye shades before the flight. Even during p.s.'s true F 04-05 heyday - and even before with the 767-200, which arguably had a more enhanced soft product than p.s.

Needless to say, I personally don't know why a 4.5-6hr transcontinental warrants a full international style amenities kit.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I am booked on a 787 EWR-LAX on June 21 at 9am. In August I am booked on 777s in both directions. I was able to confirm RPU upgrades at booking on two of the flights. That's the nice part about so many seats in Business.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by g-code
Some of the PS flights are indeed going to the 772.
So, if it does end up being a 772, and it is a 3 class plane, then I will end up in BusinessFirst, and Not F. I am not happy about this, I booked it based on having the 757PS. Not happy with the much bigger plane, with possible rear-facing seating!
Old May 12, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by chooz2cruz
So, if it does end up being a 772, and it is a 3 class plane, then I will end up in BusinessFirst, and Not F. I am not happy about this, I booked it based on having the 757PS. Not happy with the much bigger plane, with possible rear-facing seating!
If they swap it, I'll bet you can get them to move you to another 757 plane for no charge if you cal, especially if you end up in the middle or backwards.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by chooz2cruz
Why do you think the 772 is so fundamentally different? The seat is basically the same (a bit narrower on the 772), the catering & service will be identical.

The 757PS isn't "F" - it's BF.
Old May 12, 2016, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CO FF
Why do you think the 772 is so fundamentally different? The seat is basically the same (a bit narrower on the 772), the catering & service will be identical.
The seat is fundamentally different. I think it's more comfortable than the B/E Diamond they use on the 752s, but there is zero personal space . . . that's the issue most have it.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Great experience on UA 212 EWR-SFO in BF today. FAs were on point, food was great compared to recent UA offerings, was offered a 2nd cookie (yesplzthx,) and received $125 credit because the outlets weren't working. I actually didn't realize this until I received the email mid-flight. Also tried the moscow mule - not my fave but worth tasting if you haven't. Nice work UA
Old May 18, 2016, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Great experience on UA 212 EWR-SFO in BF today. FAs were on point, food was great compared to recent UA offerings, was offered a 2nd cookie (yesplzthx,) and received $125 credit because the outlets weren't working. I actually didn't realize this until I received the email mid-flight. Also tried the moscow mule - not my fave but worth tasting if you haven't. Nice work UA
The outlets always fizzle out on me on this flight - but I may need to buy that "tight" adaptor soon - since it might just be a bad connection.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Our first time flying p.s. out of EWR (JFK, RIP ) will be in a couple of weeks. On the bright side, we're on 777s both ways. As of right now, C is pretty open. Does anyone have any data points on the price Y->C buy-ups? Just curious...

Thanks.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by as219
Our first time flying p.s. out of EWR (JFK, RIP ) will be in a couple of weeks. On the bright side, we're on 777s both ways. As of right now, C is pretty open. Does anyone have any data points on the price Y->C buy-ups? Just curious...

Thanks.
Should be around $600 minus your one way ticket price.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Best use of RPUs out there.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Going SFO-EWR I'm getting an offer for $2459, which is about OW biz price minus $60
Old May 18, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
That seems high. I could have bought C at booking for $1,110. Actually, C is still available to book at about $1,100.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by as219
Does anyone have any data points on the price Y->C buy-ups? Just curious...

Thanks.
I put a 7-day hold on a one-way ps ticket for $199. On the 7th day that fare was no longer available and the lowest fare was $250. So during the process of purchasing the ticket I was offered an upgrade for $359 and I took it. That yielded a total price of $558 which is less than the normal $600 it costs to purchase a Business seat. And you only get the $600 fare on a roundtrip purchase whereas I purchased one-way.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
The outlets always fizzle out on me on this flight - but I may need to buy that "tight" adaptor soon - since it might just be a bad connection.
This. This.
It's what you need.... changes everything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.