Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 27, 15, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Any operational upgrades on the old PS planes yet?

I ask this because I've booked award seats for EWR-LAX this weekend. I booked business on the way out because there were no aisle or window seats left and economy plus on the way back.
There are 11 empty seats on the seat map on Thursday evening and 12 on Sunday afternoon. I'm thinking that since there are no cpu's on these flights and economy seems almost sold out that there could be an op up. Is this unrealistic to think as a possibility as a Plat?
I might switch back to economy if an aisle or window opens up in E+.
Old Oct 27, 15, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
I'm on a nj transit train now -- it arrived late at ewr and is now just sitting dead on the tracks outside of Seacaucus. This is really the perfect match for ual's service and punctuality.

It looks like a trip from ewr to midtown will take about 85 minutes. Uber is running about $90. Might be time to switch airlines.
Huh, how do you get to 85 minutes? A few minutes on Airtrain to NJTransit, then a 24 minutes ride to Penn Station, then 10 or so minutes on the E, add some minutes for connections.
Old Oct 27, 15, 5:40 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Huh, how do you get to 85 minutes? A few minutes on Airtrain to NJTransit, then a 24 minutes ride to Penn Station, then 10 or so minutes on the E, add some minutes for connections.
His train is dead on the tracks.
Old Oct 27, 15, 5:46 pm

There's a bottleneck area between Newark and NYP. I've had to (several times this year already) wait on the train (not moving) for 30-60 minutes cause either the bridge was being used, train traffic due to amtrak/cargo, only one of two rail lines being used, etc etc etc. I just get annoyed when this happens during rush hour.

Eventually, one day, they will build an additional set of train tracks (and tunnel) into NYC.
Old Oct 28, 15, 12:44 am
Suspended

Anyone have any tips of how to search for PS business awards for 25k? I need to travel from EWR-SEA sometime in decemeber. When i search for EWR-LAX or EWR-SFO to build off of that i seem to just keep seeing NOTHING showing? I was looking at all dates between Dec4 and Dec11 and saw nothing. Looking at tons of seats upfront, maybe will more open up as i get closer?

Any tips from the pros how to search the non-stops quickly or am i out of luck here just slow looking each day? I look about twice a day now for over a week now, and just havent seen anything.
Old Oct 28, 15, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Did my first PS flight to EWR from SFO yesterday (third day of operation) and noted no real onboard differences than flying into JFK.

Based on the conversations around me, it appeared a number of passengers have never been to EWR and were inquiring how to get to Manhattan. One flight attendant said it would be her first time landing into EWR after working several years on the PS flight.

The differences to me are getting to and from of EWR/Manhattan. GF Lounge and EWR itself. Spend more time and $ to/from airport and miss that cozy JFK GF lounge with nice spread of real food and drinks!
Old Oct 28, 15, 4:29 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by SkiUtah View Post
Anyone have any tips of how to search for PS business awards for 25k? I need to travel from EWR-SEA sometime in decemeber. When i search for EWR-LAX or EWR-SFO to build off of that i seem to just keep seeing NOTHING showing? I was looking at all dates between Dec4 and Dec11 and saw nothing. Looking at tons of seats upfront, maybe will more open up as i get closer?

Any tips from the pros how to search the non-stops quickly or am i out of luck here just slow looking each day? I look about twice a day now for over a week now, and just havent seen anything.
You're not crazy - UA has eviscerating saver award inventory on a number of routes, and this is no exception. Unclear if policy or just waiting to see how loads shake out with the shift but I'd guess the former. General saver search strategies apply - check early mornings.
Old Oct 28, 15, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
You're not crazy - UA has eviscerating saver award inventory on a number of routes, and this is no exception. Unclear if policy or just waiting to see how loads shake out with the shift but I'd guess the former. General saver search strategies apply - check early mornings.
Saver space on the JFK flights has been tough for a couple of years now so wouldn't keep hopes up. Same with AA and DL unless you want last minute first class, or first class for 1 seat on AA.

There was a gold mine when they first loaded the EWR flights into the system.
Old Oct 28, 15, 7:03 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Nephroid View Post
I'm booked on UA415 (redeye LAX-EWR) for this Thursday. I'm actually flying home from PHX but connecting through LAX to score a transcon lie-flat bed and slightly longer sleep. AA10 is my usual standby but booked p.s. specifically because of the announced transition. For me getting home to EWR will be a huge win over JFK. Will report back after the flight.
What? The red eye from LAX is only a 4:20 hour flight anyways. It's not like these flights are 8-9 hour flights to fully enjoy F(p.s.).
Old Oct 28, 15, 7:19 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold

My opinion is this is going to be extremely tough for saver awards or upgrades (RPU or mileage+copay). Somebody smarter than me can run the actual numbers, but before you had LAX/SFO-JFK which was largely just O/D traffic, and LAX/SFO-EWR which fed a lot of the international traffic, but with a crappy domestic F seat for LAX/SFO-EWR. Now there's a lie flat between LAX/SFO-EWR, more paying J PAX will be inclined to route through EWR (instead of ORD or IAD). Combine that with the fact that there are now less J seats between LAX/SFO-NYC (i.e vs the previous EWR and JFK combined), and J is very full of (presumably) paying PAX.

I've anecdotally already seen this looking for a flight a week out - many of the PS flights are already sold out in J, and those that aren't are only J2/3 (with the cheapest fare class available is D).
Old Oct 28, 15, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
It's completely normal for those trains to crawl through northern New Jersey at walking speed with multiple stops in the middle of nowhere. IME, it's kind of the norm in fact.

This has been true for the last year and a half with ps - almost impossible to score saver awards in economy or business. They may open a few seats within a few days (or hours) of departure, typically on the less desirable flights - 4:25 p.m. departure from SFO, 6 a.m. departure from NYC, etc. But that's a very popular travel period to NYC.
Old Oct 28, 15, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Noanker1 View Post
There are 11 empty seats on the seat map on Thursday evening and 12 on Sunday afternoon. I'm thinking that since there are no cpu's on these flights and economy seems almost sold out that there could be an op up.
If the back is over then an OpUp is likely. But do not expect one just because there are seats open up front.
Old Oct 28, 15, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jmanirish View Post
My opinion is this is going to be extremely tough for saver awards or upgrades (RPU or mileage+copay). Somebody smarter than me can run the actual numbers, but before you had LAX/SFO-JFK which was largely just O/D traffic, and LAX/SFO-EWR which fed a lot of the international traffic, but with a crappy domestic F seat for LAX/SFO-EWR. Now there's a lie flat between LAX/SFO-EWR, more paying J PAX will be inclined to route through EWR (instead of ORD or IAD). Combine that with the fact that there are now less J seats between LAX/SFO-NYC (i.e vs the previous EWR and JFK combined), and J is very full of (presumably) paying PAX.

I've anecdotally already seen this looking for a flight a week out - many of the PS flights are already sold out in J, and those that aren't are only J2/3 (with the cheapest fare class available is D).
A couple months ago the December ps flights ex-EWR were showing I2 on the first and last flights of the day, but I agree in general I think saver space is going to be almost impossible. I was shocked at the time to see saver routings through EWR which booked into ps BF. I never checked if it was married segments, but I was just figuring they were trying to cram early bookings aboard the EWR flights to make sure the transition looked successful.

Although (as has been discussed elsewhere), I don't think there is a strong incentive for most TATL pax from the west coast to do an EWR connection when you can go nonstop to Europe from SFO. Transcons to little airports on the east coast, maybe.
Old Oct 28, 15, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by findark View Post
A couple months ago the December ps flights ex-EWR were showing I2 on the first and last flights of the day, but I agree in general I think saver space is going to be almost impossible. I was shocked at the time to see saver routings through EWR which booked into ps BF. I never checked if it was married segments, but I was just figuring they were trying to cram early bookings aboard the EWR flights to make sure the transition looked successful.
There was almost certainly a UA error in releasing award space when they loaded the new ps flights into the system. Business saver availability was wide open for a couple days then slammed shut. Not the first time this has happened on a "new" route.
Old Oct 29, 15, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by iloveipods View Post
Interesting second day of ops. The 10am is cancelled for "operational difficulties" and the 11am UA1120 has been upgraded to a 767-400ER (ship 3058). Which strangely enough is also coming from MSY.
Looks like they have just added a 764 flight at 6:30am in between the existing 752s in November as well. Shows R9 I9 right now. Maybe EWR PS is really taking off...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: