Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by minnyfly
I'm still wondering what happens to those that don't proactively change their schedule well in advance of the potential swap.
They ride on the aircraft that shows up at the gate.
UA is not going to re-accommodate a whole cabin to other flights (because there's simply no space). If it did, then what? CPU a bunch of people in Y to fill it?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:49 am

Is club access only at EWR/LAX/SFO or also at connecting airports? the language on the PS page states both.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mileshound
Is club access only at EWR/LAX/SFO or also at connecting airports? the language on the PS page states both.
Where do you see that? I see:
Customers on p.s. Premium Service flights may only access United Club locations at the origin and destination of their p.s. flights.
Lounge Access.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Where do you see that? I see:
Customers on p.s. Premium Service flights may only access United Club locations at the origin and destination of their p.s. flights.
Lounge Access.
It is in the wikki which is copied from this page:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...mservices.aspx

In addition, United BusinessFirst® customers on p.s. flights can relax with extra comfort and convenience:

Premier Access® check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling
United ClubSM access
Up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat
Premium service, including pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
IME p.s. lounge access is only at SFO/LAX/EWR.

You might get lucky with an agent, though.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mileshound
It is in the wikki which is copied from this page:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...mservices.aspx

In addition, United BusinessFirst® customers on p.s. flights can relax with extra comfort and convenience:

Premier Access® check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling
United ClubSM access
Up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat
Premium service, including pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack
That says absolutely nothing about UC access at airports other than SFO/LAX/EWR.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by minnyfly
I don't have any first-hand experience in that department. I'm not going to pretend to and make statements as if I did.

I'm still wondering what happens to those that don't proactively change their schedule well in advance of the potential swap.
You will end up in whichever plane they assign, which in this case in Domestic 757 with recliner seats. This happened to me once on PMUA 3-cabin p.s., where me as 1K was reassigned into a E+ seat, while my 1P partner got a first class seat. YMMV.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
No amenities

Flew the 1pm EWR-LAX yesterday on a 16 BF seat aircraft. No amenity kit nor basket of amenities was offered. And with this type of aircraft there were, of course, no Cowshed products in the lav. United needs to learn something about consistency on their "premium" transcon service.

Also, boarding took place (unusually for LAX) from the front door so pre-departure beverage service did not start until just about everyone was on board. I guess it would have been impossible to fight the entering crowds in the aisle, though that's what they usually do when providing PDB anyway.

And one more oddity - one flight attendant began serving beverages and nuts a few minutes before another brought the tablecloths. So we had to lift the nuts and beverages off the table in order for the cloths to be laid. Kind of out of sequence. Appetizers followed immediately so that the nuts became part of the appetizer instead of a snack with beverages.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'p[remium].s[ervice].' in economy?

Is there anything premium about flying economy on the p.s. flights? Just not being subject to Direct TV? The last time I was on a p.s. plane was just after UA introduced it for SFO-JFK, but I don't remember there being anything special except the amount of branding deployed.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by fumje
Is there anything premium about flying economy on the p.s. flights? Just not being subject to Direct TV? The last time I was on a p.s. plane was just after UA introduced it for SFO-JFK, but I don't remember there being anything special except the amount of branding deployed.
Nothing except the g'tee of the free, decent seatback IFE.*

*if you bring your own headsets.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Well, you get a real seat in ps Y, as opposed to a slimline.

And you're less likely to have a runway excursion on a snowy landing than flights operated by 739s.

Is that premium enough?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
When premium service started on United the big deal was that all seats in economy were economy plus with extra legroom, albeit only 34" of seat pitch. They were also among the last domestic flights to stop serving meals.

Since the aircraft was reconfigured a few years ago they did away with all seats being economy plus. Now some seats have 31" pitch and economy plus seats are 36" or 37" (depending on aircraft) or more for exit rows.

The seatback entertainment is ample and free, unlike other airlines that generally charge for some or all of the entertainment on transcon flights.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:29 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Just flew ps for the first time -- EWR-SFO-EWR -- and I was somewhat surprised at the lack of branding. EWR-SFO was in Y on a 16BF plane, SFO-EWR was in BF on a 28BF plane. The flight attendants on both flights were very attentive/courteous/proactive (I was especially impressed with the SFO-EWR crew), but in terms of branding the only way that I saw "ps" explicitly used was on the BF menu. There was no "welcome aboard this ps service" or anything like that in the announcements, etc. And there was no special branding whatsoever in the Y cabin.

Heck, there was more pomp and circumstance aboard my EWR-SYR connection last night when the pilot made a big deal of the "explus regional jet service" for our 39-minute nonstop flight to SYR! (I thought explus branding was discontinued years ago?)
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
And you're less likely to have a runway excursion on a snowy landing than flights operated by 739s.

Is that premium enough?
Hah, OK I'll take it. (OTOH, if they'd credit extra distance for a runway excursion, I might not complain about that.)
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Anybody know what's going on with the 772 scheduled on EWR-LAX? Looks like F is being zero'd out.
For example

UA 1817 on 8 June shows a 772, but J is zero'd out.

UA 751 on 8 June also shows a 772 and shows F fare class, but zero'd out. Seat map shows the typical 772 map.

Last edited by jmanirish; Feb 23, 2016 at 7:05 pm Reason: sCO 772

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.