Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
What UA is ceding is the low yield coach market with a massive reduction in coach seats, an elimination of non lie flat first class, and a net increase in truly premium lie flat seats.
Huh. I'm not seeing a reduction in cheap economy fares. Still plenty of those for sale. Which really should not be a surprise given that the ratio of Y/J on the "ps" routes has increased substantially with the smaller J cabins on the sCO 752s.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Looking at EWR-LAX RT in April, and I spotted the sUA 772 they will be flying on the route (5 PM out to LAX, and 7 AM flight back the next day). On the website, though, I can't seem to be able to select any GF seats - 'First' shows up as United Business (not BF) as a P fare.

Perhaps you have to search the specific fare bucket to get it to show up? That's the only way that I could find a GF seat to pull in as United First (which was coming in at $2,850 v. $600 for BF...no thanks!).
The fare table isn't really set up for three cabin aircraft... forcing a booking code of A or searching for "First/Business" results both work. The flight looks like it's marketed as "United Business" and "United First" for the time being, and yes $2,850 is the cheapest published fare which books into A or F for that route.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Up early here in LAX land for my/our first PS flight of 2016, Flight 642 which now shows:

Status: Delayed due to aircraft maintenance (Estimated Departure 55 Minutes Late)

and when I click "Where is this flight coming from...." Flt 1913

It also shows 1913 departing EWR 41 minutes late.

Also noteworthy, 1913's scheduled arrival time is 10:30 AM, while 642's original departure is 10:05 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Phil Level
Up early here in LAX land for my/our first PS flight of 2016, Flight 642 which now shows:

Status: Delayed due to aircraft maintenance (Estimated Departure 55 Minutes Late)

and when I click "Where is this flight coming from...." Flt 1913

It also shows 1913 departing EWR 41 minutes late.

Also noteworthy, 1913's scheduled arrival time is 10:30 AM, while 642's original departure is 10:05 AM.
I had a similar situation on a ps flight a few months ago. The scheduled landing of the arriving flight was after the scheduled takeoff of my flight. And things were delayed for bogus reasons on the website.

My feeling at the time was that they must have switched which aircraft was being used for the flight I was taking. The replacement plane wasn't scheduled to land on time. The explanation of aircraft maintenance perhaps relates to the original aircraft that was no longer being used for the flight.

Just a guess to explain the duplicity of the information available.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nycityny
Just a guess to explain the duplicity of the information available.
That's exactly what's going on. Aircraft swap. Not really duplicitious, just a fact set that's not fully explained on the flight status page.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:03 pm

First time flying LAX-EWR since they made this P.S. this week, and I must say, I was completely unimpressed.

From the beginning, they would only allow us to have water as our PDB, even though we boarded on time and it would seem catering was complete. As they handed us our water only, they gave us the menu and quickly informed us that only two of the three options were going to be served. Next, they only had 2 FAs I could see working the 28 BF seats, and we didn't receive our first part of the meal well into 2 hours into the flight (mainly because it took them forever to get started). All said, it was about 3 hours into the flight when they served us the dessert - so much for making use of the lay flat for some sleep with hardly any time remaining.

Anyway, meal was horrible. The headphones were a joke and didn't eliminate any noise. Add in that the way they provide the ear plugs and eye shades is a joke....just hand them to me - not even a cheap bag we could place this in? Also, it's not a dental kit when it's only a toothbrush and paste.

Lastly, the pillow is a complete joke. It was that small pillow one.

This has completely turned me off from using P.S. I can't imagine how UA will compete on these routes when this is the product they are offering.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by dank0014
First time flying LAX-EWR since they made this P.S. this week, and I must say, I was completely unimpressed.

From the beginning, they would only allow us to have water as our PDB, even though we boarded on time and it would seem catering was complete. As they handed us our water only, they gave us the menu and quickly informed us that only two of the three options were going to be served. Next, they only had 2 FAs I could see working the 28 BF seats, and we didn't receive our first part of the meal well into 2 hours into the flight (mainly because it took them forever to get started). All said, it was about 3 hours into the flight when they served us the dessert - so much for making use of the lay flat for some sleep with hardly any time remaining.

Anyway, meal was horrible. The headphones were a joke and didn't eliminate any noise. Add in that the way they provide the ear plugs and eye shades is a joke....just hand them to me - not even a cheap bag we could place this in? Also, it's not a dental kit when it's only a toothbrush and paste.

This has completely turned me off from using P.S. I can't imagine how UA will compete on these routes when this is the product they are offering.
Was it an sCO or sUA plane? FWIW I definitely feel like service is better on the sUA birds (although the difference is not that noticeable to me to be that irritated by it).
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Was it an sCO or sUA plane? FWIW I definitely feel like service is better on the sUA birds (although the difference is not that noticeable to me to be that irritated by it).
He said there were 28 BF seats so it was sUA.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dank0014

I've flown PS flights quite a bit with LAX to EWR this past Wed. I flew a morning flight out of LAX and we had lunch service. No problems with the menu and no restrictions on drinks before take-off. I found the salad/entree decent. Ice cream for desert. Purser was actually very good.

Yes the headphones are a joke but that is why I invested in a pair of headphones. There is no travel bag so yes they hand out a toothbrush/toothpaste, eye shades. Frankly if they were in a bag, I'd toss it anyway. Pillow and blanket are full sized so not sure why you got a small one?

Not defending UA product but sounded like some aspects were off for you. Although you question the PS product, I have not been on a flight that has not been full.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:00 am

Remember before 2015 the sUA P.S. 757s were often staffed with FAs who've had several years of seniority and experience flying the route now is not the case. I was on an sUA PS 757 recently and the most senior crew was the purser and 1 of the J FAs the other 3 were all hired in 2015.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I have to do a red-eye out/last flight of day back from SF later this week, and it's looking like I have to choose something other than UA, because they've done away with all of their late flights from NYC-SFO (even with connections). I have a meeting that won't be done until 6-6:30, and I could make a 9pm flight, but certainly not a 7pm flight.

Previously, you could get a 9PM or later flight out of EWR, and in my experience it was always full.

DL, AA, B6 and VX all run later flights.

It seems to be the same thing for LAX?

Is this a recent development? I haven't had to do a NY flight since November.

I'm pretty loyal to UA, but they have to be able to get me where I'm going when I need to get there, otherwise I'm going to choose someone else.

The fact that every other carrier in the market sees a need for a late night westbound NYC-SFO/LAX flight suggests that I'm not alone in needing that timing.

Greg
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by greg99
I have to do a red-eye out/last flight of day back from SF later this week, and it's looking like I have to choose something other than UA, because they've done away with all of their late flights from NYC-SFO (even with connections). I have a meeting that won't be done until 6-6:30, and I could make a 9pm flight, but certainly not a 7pm flight.

Previously, you could get a 9PM or later flight out of EWR, and in my experience it was always full.

DL, AA, B6 and VX all run later flights.

It seems to be the same thing for LAX?

Is this a recent development? I haven't had to do a NY flight since November.

I'm pretty loyal to UA, but they have to be able to get me where I'm going when I need to get there, otherwise I'm going to choose someone else.

The fact that every other carrier in the market sees a need for a late night westbound NYC-SFO/LAX flight suggests that I'm not alone in needing that timing.

Greg
Looks like the winter trimming of the P.S. routes involves the last flights of the day. So right now UA's last EWR-LAX is 7:30, and last EWR-SFO is 7:00.

Over at JFK-LAX, DL goes to 7:30 as well. AA and VX stop at 8:00. Only B6 goes later.

To SFO, VX's last flight is at 6:50. DL is 7:30. B6 is 8:00. Only AA goes late into the night.

So it's not every other carrier, although UA's schedule is a little limited late at night.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Looks like the winter trimming of the P.S. routes involves the last flights of the day. So right now UA's last EWR-LAX is 7:30, and last EWR-SFO is 7:00.

Over at JFK-LAX, DL goes to 7:30 as well. AA and VX stop at 8:00. Only B6 goes later.

To SFO, VX's last flight is at 6:50. DL is 7:30. B6 is 8:00. Only AA goes late into the night.

So it's not every other carrier, although UA's schedule is a little limited late at night.
I stand corrected on VX, but when I look on EF 10 days out (to avoid availability affecting the display this week), I see DL @ 7:30, B6 @ 8:00 and 9:20 and AA @ 9:50, so B6 is going late, too.

Fair point on summer - the 9pm UA flight comes back in the spring.

I'm still surprised, though, and bummed that I can't fly UA (maybe I shouldn't be...)

Greg
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by greg99
I stand corrected on VX, but when I look on EF 10 days out (to avoid availability affecting the display this week), I see DL @ 7:30, B6 @ 8:00 and 9:20 and AA @ 9:50, so B6 is going late, too.

Fair point on summer - the 9pm UA flight comes back in the spring.

I'm still surprised, though, and bummed that I can't fly UA (maybe I shouldn't be...)

Greg

This one really irks me; just another notch in the "what did we get when we gave up JFK?"

The one place United wins vs DL at least is the 6AM departure. DL's first out is 7.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Last January at JFK wasn't any better. The typical Tuesday JFK-LAX had only six flights, and the last was at 7:50pm. JFK-SFO had seven flights--the last at just 6:22pm.

So with EWR you're getting more frequency, especially during peak times, with no large gaps throughout the day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.