Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i can't recall a time where it ever dropped under 5 ex-JFK, even on saturdays. 703, 233 and 535 all flew 7x weekly in the final 'era' of the service, and those are just the flight numbers i remember.

i'm kicking myself for not saving a timetable before the JFK closure.
There was much discussion of this in the original thread, such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25085415-post1050.html
Originally Posted by blackllotus
Oct 19 SWO-EWR (pre-PS):
14 Flights: 2x A320, 8x B738, 2x B739, 2x B752-Intl
Totals: 224 F, 660 E+, 1320 E
There was/is some seasonality, so Oct numbers may not be directly comparable.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There was much discussion of this in the original thread, such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25085415-post1050.html

There was/is some seasonality, so Oct numbers may not be directly comparable.
That does not paint a pretty picture. 14x pre-ps + 7 ps = 21. Laziness on the conversion from pre and post fleet here but with significant travel days now getting, in some cases 10-11 dailies? What a joke.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
On January 23rd, 2015, a Friday, there was 10x SFO-EWR (4x 739, 2x 738, 1x 752 intl, 1x A320, and 2x A319) and 7x SFO-JFK.

Edit: For LAX on Thursday 1/23/15, there was 10x EWR (1x 753, 3x 739, 3x 752 intl., 2x A320, and 1x A319) and 6x JFK.

Last edited by minnyfly; Jan 20, 2016 at 1:41 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
A lot more than seven flights.

Are you denying there's been a massive capacity cut?
Huh?

How does my post asking for your historical perspective (you seem to have some experience with this route) indicate denial of anything?

I did think your blanket statement saying "UA is down to 7 flights per day LAX-NYC" was somewhat alarmist though, when on 26 out of 30 days there are 10 or more flights.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
On January 23rd, 2015, a Friday, there was 10x SFO-EWR (4x 739, 2x 738, 1x 752 intl, 1x A320, and 2x A319) and 7x SFO-JFK.

Edit: For LAX on Thursday 1/23/15, there was 10x EWR (1x 753, 3x 739, 3x 752 intl., 2x A320, and 1x A319) and 6x JFK.
Was this based upon your own records, or is there some way to search for this info? Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
That does not paint a pretty picture. 14x pre-ps + 7 ps = 21. Laziness on the conversion from pre and post fleet here but with significant travel days now getting, in some cases 10-11 dailies? What a joke.
As an investor in UA (and the others too, really, since capacity cuts benefit them all), I would be very happy to see UA exhibiting this kind of capacity discipline!

note: I am not an investor in airline stocks.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

As an investor in UA (and the others too, really, since capacity cuts benefit them all), I would be very happy to see UA exhibiting this kind of capacity discipline!

Unilateral capacity cuts on a major domestic route combined with fare pressure from competitors is not the kind of thing investors in UA would like at all. If their competitors were not filling in the capacity that would be one thing but Delta has added capacity as has B6 and VX to/from JFK and Mint fares have squeezed yields. Hardly the secret sauce for UA's success. With Mint coming soon to BOS, UA has further price pressures to deal with there. UA's former transcon dominance slowly eroded and will continue to do so if they keep ceding market share.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!

As a customer of UA and a consumer generally, though that "capacity discipline"/monopoly leverage is unfavorable to me, I fully understand its financial virtue. That understanding does not, however, extend to excusing what several of us see as UA's intentionally deceptive characterization of the frequency and capacity impact of the p.s. transfer to EWR and the closure of the JFK station. Taking 21 departures to 17 with the tradeoffs to all flatbeds is one thing. Having most days cut down to 11 or fewer departures is quite another.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If their competitors were not filling in the capacity that would be one thing but Delta has added capacity as has B6 and VX to/from JFK and Mint fares have squeezed yields. Hardly the secret sauce for UA's success.
Additionally, UA is now selling some percentage of those premium ps seats very cheaply on connecting itineraries (with SFO-SJU, where there's been a sub-$1000 fare, as the classic example).* That's hardly drawing premium yield from what's supposed to be your premium product.

* Or even better, YYZ-SFO for $640 RT. YYZ-EWR-SFO Lie-Flat $640
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
Additionally, UA is now selling some percentage of those premium ps seats very cheaply on connecting itineraries (with SFO-SJU, where there's been a sub-$1000 fare, as the classic example).* That's hardly drawing premium yield from what's supposed to be your premium product.

* Or even better, YYZ-SFO for $640 RT. YYZ-EWR-SFO Lie-Flat $640
Even non-connecting, there are $600 one-way P fares available if you book far enough in advance. I booked them a few weeks ago both ways EWR-SFO in late June. Just looked on those same days now and there's still a bunch available, although the most popular times of day only have $1500 or $2500 fares.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Was this based upon your own records, or is there some way to search for this info? Thanks for posting!
I searched the database on the BTS website. Great tool for domestic flight history for the past 21 years.

http://apps.bts.gov/xml/ontimesummar.../src/index.xml
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:50 pm

First, let's look at AA and DL this Friday...

AA: 10x to LAX
DL: 7x
UA: 11x

UA has more frequency than either.

Look ahead to the summer

UA: 15x a day to LAX
AA: 13x
DL: 10x

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...umFlight=&FLN=

Yes, UA is running 50% more flights than Delta to the most competitive West Coast market.

On the 'low yield' fares folks Mint is hitting everyone.

It's not just UA by any stretch.

AA has much wider availability of those $1,198 roundtrip fares ($599 each way) - more flights on more days with them.

DL has them too - less common as they don't fly any planes with lopsided premium cabin density.

What UA is ceding is the low yield coach market with a massive reduction in coach seats, an elimination of non lie flat first class, and a net increase in truly premium lie flat seats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 2016 at 8:03 pm Reason: unneeded / snarky comment removed
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by physioprof
Even non-connecting, there are $600 one-way P fares available if you book far enough in advance. I booked them a few weeks ago both ways EWR-SFO in late June. Just looked on those same days now and there's still a bunch available, although the most popular times of day only have $1500 or $2500 fares.
Based on RT, or truly OW?

DL and B6 are the only two that consistently offer ~$600 each way without purchase of a RT.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anc-ord772

DL and B6 are the only two that consistently offer ~$600 each way without purchase of a RT.
I don't see any one-way JFK-LAX $600 fares on Delta. I checked everyday for the next few months and the cheapest is $818, though it's typically $844.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive

Same price on each leg OW or RT.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Half round trip, looks to me. Cheapest one-way is $1,025 (YAP30UPN).
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Looking at EWR-LAX RT in April, and I spotted the sUA 772 they will be flying on the route (5 PM out to LAX, and 7 AM flight back the next day). On the website, though, I can't seem to be able to select any GF seats - 'First' shows up as United Business (not BF) as a P fare.

Perhaps you have to search the specific fare bucket to get it to show up? That's the only way that I could find a GF seat to pull in as United First (which was coming in at $2,850 v. $600 for BF...no thanks!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.