Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 16, 15, 5:48 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Tomorrow's (12/17/15) 1420 (7:35am departure) swapped from 16J to 767-4
Old Dec 16, 15, 6:47 pm

Had a nice surprise yesterday - my first EWR to LAX p.s. flight after many years of JFK - #751. Got to the gate and they had subbed a 767i - with some of the better catering I've experienced up front in a while and excellent flight attendants. Happy flight. The UA Club though, despite its size, was a lot more jammed than JFK and took a while to find a place to sit, but maybe it was just the time of day.
Old Dec 17, 15, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RJNYC View Post
So far I am 0/4 on RPU upgrades on EWR-SFO/LAX. I missed an RPU upgrade only once in four years on JFK-SFO/LAX. YMMV
There was a lot of speculation on here that moving ps to EWR would fail to attract paid J flyers like JFK. Your experience is anecdotal evidence that not only is that not the case, but even that EWR might be attracting more. No one on the upgrade list cleared on the two ps flights I took in November either.
Old Dec 17, 15, 8:34 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
There was a lot of speculation on here that moving ps to EWR would fail to attract paid J flyers like JFK. Your experience is anecdotal evidence that not only is that not the case, but even that EWR might be attracting more. No one on the upgrade list cleared on the two ps flights I took in November either.
EWR-LAX/SFO wasn't an easy upgrade (CPU, instrument or other) before JFK was abandoned.
Old Dec 17, 15, 8:39 am

United PS in BusinessFirst in 2015 - EWR to SFO

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...5-ewr-sfo.html

"Hello FlyerTalk!

This report will focus on my recent trip to San Francisco, CA on United’s updated version of their PS service - EWR to SFO, in BusinessFirst. Ever since UA left JFK and moved their PS operations to EWR, there have been some hits a misses, mostly service and operational issues. I however experienced both issues. Enjoy reading! "
Old Dec 17, 15, 11:32 am

I recently flew LAX-EWR in UA ps upfront and was very, very underwhelmed by the soft product.

The plane was a 763 (ex-CON config) and the seat and IFE were exactly as advertised and expected (I don't like the narrow footwell).

The breakfast service was a huge disappointment. The "Chicago skillet" was just a slightly gussied up version of what is served on shorter routes in domestic FC, and the cookies before landing are a clear effort to save money.

Add to that the fact that the flight was less than 5h long and I am absolutely amazed as to why people pay a small fortune for such a lackluster experience.
Old Dec 17, 15, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton View Post
EWR-LAX/SFO wasn't an easy upgrade (CPU, instrument or other) before JFK was abandoned.
Agreed.

Based on online check-in westbound (EWR-LAX/SFO), there were many people already checked in well ahead of T-24. Probably inbound TATL connecting onward to California, whereas JFK was more O/D.

Also JFK was all 28J, at EWR we have the 16J birds thrown in.
Old Dec 17, 15, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those flights also serve paid & GPU-ed TATL connecting traffic, which might result in higher loads.

The upgrade list does not tell the entire story. I RPUed a couple of flights just recently and none of them ever showed on the UG-list.
Old Dec 17, 15, 1:49 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Those flights also serve paid & GPU-ed TATL connecting traffic, which might result in higher loads.

The upgrade list does not tell the entire story. I RPUed a couple of flights just recently and none of them ever showed on the UG-list.
This GS, who used to have zero issue getting his partner upgraded on almost any EWR-SFO flight when I was willing to use a RPU, was unable to get him upgraded on either leg - EWR<->SFO r/t on two not overly desirable flights - 12:00pm EWR-SFO Wednesday (middle of business day) and 3:00pm Sunday.

Flight went from J9 when first booked to J0 with no PN or RN ever opening.

They are definitely selling these seats, and not for TODs.
Old Dec 17, 15, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by glx View Post
This GS, who used to have zero issue getting his partner upgraded on almost any EWR-SFO flight when I was willing to use a RPU, was unable to get him upgraded on either leg - EWR<->SFO r/t on two not overly desirable flights - 12:00pm EWR-SFO Wednesday (middle of business day) and 3:00pm Sunday.

Flight went from J9 when first booked to J0 with no PN or RN ever opening.

They are definitely selling these seats, and not for TODs.
those weren't lie-flat seats like they are now.

simple math dictates that there will be fewer upgrades on the route; the speculation, as Say Vandelay put it, is:

there are fewer daily UA NYC-SFO/LAX J seats now. even assuming both of your failed upgrade experiences have become the new normal, it does not serve as an indication that UA is selling more paid J out of NYC post-JFK.

if the argument is that UA is selling more paid J out of EWR (not NYC) to SFO/LAX, that could very well be accurate. some of the JFK J flyers (including those who were connecting to/from *A flights at JFK) have made the move to EWR, and that results in increased premium traffic at EWR.

there's no evidence to me that suggests UA's premium NYC share has increased, nor that previously non-UA premium flyers are now flying p.s. out of EWR.
Old Dec 17, 15, 3:36 pm

It's been interesting. I've checked ps prices on occasion when connecting from the East Coast (BOS/ROC). I can confirm a J seat on DL or B6 for ~$600-$700 each way. I mostly book one way flights and UNITED really penalizes that behavior. I have yet to find a fare for less than $1100.

Since the merger UNITED started losing my business and the move to EWR killed ps for me. I never really bought J, just upgraded using CR1s, so I know UNITED was happy to drop me. However, I now pay for J, but UNITED doesn't see any of that either. Strange how things turn out.
Old Dec 17, 15, 4:29 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
It's been interesting. I've checked ps prices on occasion when connecting from the East Coast (BOS/ROC). I can confirm a J seat on DL or B6 for ~$600-$700 each way. I mostly book one way flights and UNITED really penalizes that behavior. I have yet to find a fare for less than $1100..
The O/W are still half of R/T, just much more expensive than the competition.
Old Dec 17, 15, 4:47 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I have been doing a lot of last-minute transcon travel towards the end of this year, and it has been nearly impossible to even purchase a J seat on most EWR-LAX/SFO flights any less than a week out. Dunno about the economy loads, nor whether this is just a seasonal thing, but so far there isn't any evidence that UA is having trouble filling the J cabin of their EWR-LAXSFO flights.
Old Dec 17, 15, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I think much of the speculation (mine included) did not take into account the major reduction in capacity on the t-cons which would accompany the change.

Capacity on the SFO/LAX-NYC routes has been cut in the range of 30-40%, so it really should be no surprise that fares have risen and upgrades gotten more scarce. That's just basic economics and (IMO) has nothing to do with the appeal of the product.
Old Dec 17, 15, 5:13 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I think much of the speculation (mine included) did not take into account the major reduction in capacity on the t-cons which would accompany the change.

Capacity on the SFO/LAX-NYC routes has been cut in the range of 30-40%, so it really should be no surprise that fares have risen and upgrades gotten more scarce. That's just basic economics and (IMO) has nothing to do with the appeal of the product.
Very good point. So where did UA shift that aircraft capacity to?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: