Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Best friend flying from LAX to MAN today, via EWR;

6:00am delayed due to aircraft maintenance 3hrs 55mins

7:00am delayed due to aircraft maintenance 4hrs

9:00am delayed due to aircraft maintenance 1hr 30mins

10:16am operational difficulties 1hr 4mins

Only one flight on schedule so far.

How many passengers will be missing not only domestic but international connections?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sgfood
Best friend flying from LAX to MAN today, via EWR;

6:00am delayed due to aircraft maintenance 3hrs 55mins

7:00am delayed due to aircraft maintenance 4hrs

9:00am delayed due to aircraft maintenance 1hr 30mins

10:16am operational difficulties 1hr 4mins

Only one flight on schedule so far.
Wow, that's amazing. People don't take early morning flights because of insomnia - they usually want to be at their destination at a specific time. Lots of unhappy and inconvenienced campers who might not want to fly United in the future.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke777
..... Upgrade list was 15 long for 16F. No one cleared (at least that showed up on the upgrade list).......
That upgrade list seems to be incomplete. I was able to clear RPUs on two p.s. flights this month, both times the u/g list did not show me as cleared on the list. However, CPUs on different flights showed.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I just tried applying an RPU on a p.s. flight that currently only allows waitlisting. An RPU was removed from my account but the reservation shows no indication of it actually being applied. Have others seen this? I think it's ging to require a call...
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I just tried applying an RPU on a p.s. flight that currently only allows waitlisting. An RPU was removed from my account but the reservation shows no indication of it actually being applied. Have others seen this? I think it's ging to require a call...
I definitely think you need to call!!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Mine shows Upgrade Requested..

Well I booked myself on a 7:00 am departure LAX-EWR and noticed its a 4 digit flight over a 3 digit flight sUA vs sCO. The UA flight at 6:00 am has 28 BF seats vs the CO 7:00 am has 16. Besides the cabin size are there any difference? I have not flown PS in a few years and especially to EWR Thanks and Safe Travels

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2015 at 12:19 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Well I booked myself on a 7:00 am departure LAX-EWR and noticed its a 4 digit flight over a 3 digit flight sUA vs sCO. The UA flight at 6:00 am has 28 BF seats vs the CO 7:00 am has 16. Besides the cabin size are there any difference? I have not flown PS in a few years and especially to EWR Thanks and Safe Travels
Aside from the configuration of the aircraft not really; service will be identical.

Originally Posted by Mats
I wonder which crews fly the sCO ps flights. Are they international (NTA) crews, or domestic crews?

If they're domestic crews, perhaps they're less familiar with BusinessFirst. I'm sure that all of the crews are trained to provide BusinessFirst service, but the international crews do it all the time.
The crews flying the sCO 757s EWR - LAX/SFO are domestic and tend to be from EWR, LAX & SFO. NTA & LAI may work the sCO 757s EWR - LAX/SFO if they pick up the trips from out of base but the EWR - LAX/SFO trips are in the domestic bid packets. A friend of mine SFO based recently did the following trip; SFO - IAH - EWR layover; EWR - SFO. And yes crews are trained on the BusinessFirst service.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2015 at 12:18 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I thought that sUA PS service was several service quality levels higher (based on my past extensive use) compared to sCO BF service. Is that still true today? Upthread I have read something suggesting the same..
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I thought that sUA PS service was several service quality levels higher (based on my past extensive use) compared to sCO BF service. Is that still true today? Upthread I have read something suggesting the same..
The stated intention is the PS service for the front cabin to be the same regardless if 28BF sUA or 16BF sCO aircraft is used on the EWR<>SFO/LAX PS flights.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Aside from the configuration of the aircraft not really; service will be identical.

The crews flying the sCO 757s EWR - LAX/SFO are domestic and tend to be from EWR, LAX & SFO. NTA & LAI may work the sCO 757s EWR - LAX/SFO if they pick up the trips from out of base but the EWR - LAX/SFO trips are in the domestic bid packets. A friend of mine SFO based recently did the following trip; SFO - IAH - EWR layover; EWR - SFO. And yes crews are trained on the BusinessFirst service.
Reading back at some of these replies, it seems that the service standards have been all over the place with sUA and sCO crews. I would say the menu will be the same between the two configurations, definitely not the service.

Also to note, the AVOD systems on the sCO aircraft are older (2008-2010 install dates) whereas the 15 PS aircraft have AVOD systems from 2013-2014. Seats on the sCO aircraft are older as well.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28

Bolding mine.

They may be trained, but it seems that they don't deliver.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Reading back at some of these replies, it seems that the service standards have been all over the place with sUA and sCO crews. I would say the menu will be the same between the two configurations, definitely not the service.

Also to note, the AVOD systems on the sCO aircraft are older (2008-2010 install dates) whereas the 15 PS aircraft have AVOD systems from 2013-2014. Seats on the sCO aircraft are older as well.
Hmm, would you take the 6:00 am 28BF vs the 7:00 am 16BF if the hour didnt mean much to you? Seems like I should ask UA for a change of flight..
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Quick catering question: Who has been on the post 9pm flight EWR-SFO/LAX since the switchover? It says Snack for BF -- I eat on the later side so wish it was still a dinner flight, But curious who has had the westbound snack on the late flights recently - what was it?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Hmm, would you take the 6:00 am 28BF vs the 7:00 am 16BF if the hour didnt mean much to you? Seems like I should ask UA for a change of flight..
If it didn't make a difference, I would try to be on that 6am. You get the legacy PS flight attendants & newer cabin. It's been reported that the sCO 757s are well used.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by nycityny
I looked at the schedule for that date and it's showing a 31 minute connection. I'd be worried but flying the night before would leave you with a very long layover.
I would just grab a hotel!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.