Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 16, 15, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
I had an sUA ps flight last week switch to a sCO 764 two days out. It kept the sUA flight number including for ATC with the heavy appended to it.
Yesterday's UA824 ended up being a 764 - the booking website had it listed as a 757 but the seatmap was correct. Halfway through the flight I got an email apologising for the substitution of a non-PS plane and offering a $175 e-cert…
Old Nov 16, 15, 11:34 am

I'm at the SFO club and noticed that today's 8am SFO-EWR flight is delayed 7 hours due to aircraft maintenance.
Old Nov 16, 15, 12:26 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
I'm at the SFO club and noticed that today's 8am SFO-EWR flight is delayed 7 hours due to aircraft maintenance.
Well, the nice thing about hourly service is that it looks like lots of folks bailed on that flight for other ones. The 9am and 10am flights went out full, while the 10:45am flight is delayed a couple of hours. Meantime that 8am flight now is mostly empty when looking at the seat map.
Old Nov 16, 15, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
The 10:45 SFO/EWR is listed as 1hr 45mins delayed, aircraft maintainance.
Flying on Tuesday connecting to MAN. Getting a little worried as this seems to be getting too frequent.

Last edited by sgfood; Nov 16, 15 at 12:32 pm Reason: addition
Old Nov 16, 15, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Perhaps we need a new thread to track all these delays on the new SFO/LAX EWR p.s. route. Just based on spot checking the past two days:

Sunday 11/15
  • UA994 (10am SFO departure) was delayed by 1.5 hours
  • UA535 (11:30am SFO departure) was diverted to OMA and arrived 2.5 hours late
  • UA751 (3:50pm to LAX) was delayed by 1+ hours
  • UA275 (6:26pm to LAX) was delayed by 1.5 hours
  • UA512 (8:58pm to LAX) was diverted to PIT and then cancelled

And on Monday 11/16 as others have pointed out UA223 (8am SFO departure) was delayed by 8 hours and UA1919 (10:45am SFO departure) was delayed by 1.5 hours.

Also on Monday:
  • UA443 (12:35pm SFO departure) was delayed by 2 hours
  • UA824 (4:35pm to LAX) was delayed by 2+ hours
  • UA418 (5:35pm to LAX) returned to gate and showing a 2.5 hour delay
  • UA1469 (9:00am LAX departure) was delayed by 4 hours. This was the continuation of the diverted/cancelled UA512 from 11/15.
Old Nov 17, 15, 1:18 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm traveling mid-Dec on a SFO-EWR-ZRH-DEL flight in J. UA LX LX. Reading about these reliability issues has got me a little bit worried; our connection in EWR is only 1h44min. It's followed by two flights which I cannot miss to get me to Delhi.

Do you think I should attempt to change the earlier flight to give myself some room? How much room do I need?

Or should I attempt to take the SFO-ZRH direct (originally routed through EWR for the extra PQMs + RPU p.s. promo)? According to great circle mapper, taking the EWR detour adds ~670 miles, so *1.5 for J, that'd cost me 1k PQM. I'm at a total of 103k PQM for the year, so I can probably afford the 1k loss. Are there any ways I can make this change without paying extra considering I'm on a cheap P fare that cost me ~$2700 round trip?
Old Nov 17, 15, 1:53 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
In December you could also be dealing with some WX with EWR and not only the fear o MX.
Even for chasing miles I would have not connected at EWR. I would have flown SWISS the whole way through.
EWR-DEL flies at 8:50pm. I'm assuming you are on the 6:55pm EWR-ZRH?
If you got in at 7:30 you could ask UA to put you on the EWR-DEL and hope there is still a J seat open at that time.
Also LX flies EWR-ZRH at 10:05pm arrives in ZRH at 11:40am which would give you 1h to connect to your original ZRH-DEL flight.
Old Nov 17, 15, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
In December you could also be dealing with some WX with EWR and not only the fear o MX.
Even for chasing miles I would have not connected at EWR. I would have flown SWISS the whole way through.
EWR-DEL flies at 8:50pm. I'm assuming you are on the 6:55pm EWR-ZRH?
If you got in at 7:30 you could ask UA to put you on the EWR-DEL and hope there is still a J seat open at that time.
Also LX flies EWR-ZRH at 10:05pm arrives in ZRH at 11:40am which would give you 1h to connect to your original ZRH-DEL flight.
I'm on 12pm SFO-EWR, landing right after 8pm in EWR. Then 10:05pm LX EWR-ZRH. Not too worried about the ZRH connection because even if worse case I miss my flight to Delhi, I won't mind the extra day in ZRH, and should be able to get my hotel situation sorted out without too much pain. Plus, LX tends to be a lot more reliable than UA p.s.

Just called the 1K line and they waived the change fee and moved me to the 9am flight which gives me 4h45 to connect - which I feel a lot safer about. They wouldn't move me to a red-eye or to the SFO-ZRH direct (due to different start date). Is there any chance I can SDC to it later?
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Originally Posted by Infinite1K View Post
Perhaps we need a new thread to track all these delays on the new SFO/LAX EWR p.s. route. Just based on spot checking the past two days:

Sunday 11/15
  • UA994 (10am SFO departure) was delayed by 1.5 hours
  • UA535 (11:30am SFO departure) was diverted to OMA and arrived 2.5 hours late
  • UA751 (3:50pm to LAX) was delayed by 1+ hours
  • UA275 (6:26pm to LAX) was delayed by 1.5 hours
  • UA512 (8:58pm to LAX) was diverted to PIT and then cancelled

And on Monday 11/16 as others have pointed out UA223 (8am SFO departure) was delayed by 8 hours and UA1919 (10:45am SFO departure) was delayed by 1.5 hours.

Also on Monday:
  • UA1469 (9:00am LAX departure) was delayed by 4 hours. This was the continuation of the diverted/cancelled UA512 from 11/15.
When you were going through the flights on Sunday and Monday were these all MX cancellations/delays or were some weather related?
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:14 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by SeoxyS View Post
I'm on 12pm SFO-EWR, landing right after 8pm in EWR. Then 10:05pm LX EWR-ZRH. Not too worried about the ZRH connection because even if worse case I miss my flight to Delhi, I won't mind the extra day in ZRH, and should be able to get my hotel situation sorted out without too much pain. Plus, LX tends to be a lot more reliable than UA p.s.

Just called the 1K line and they waived the change fee and moved me to the 9am flight which gives me 4h45 to connect - which I feel a lot safer about. They wouldn't move me to a red-eye or to the SFO-ZRH direct (due to different start date). Is there any chance I can SDC to it later?
Not a bad idea, as you will need to change terminals and re-clear security.
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:40 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by Infinite1K View Post
Perhaps we need a new thread to track all these delays on the new SFO/LAX EWR p.s. route.

Also on Monday:
To get some perspective on how bad this is I compared yesterday's on-time performance of Delta to United. I also looked at the number of flights each had.

United flew 55 ps flights yesterday. Delta flew 32 flights on the same routes.

Looking at the above there were 6 major delays on United out of that 55 flights, or 11%. I'm thinking the UA443 2 hour delay out of SFO perhaps lead to the 2 hour delay from EWR-LAX at 4:35pm due to aircraft availability?

Anyway, Delta's delays of more than 30 minutes:

DL450 (2:35pm to LAX) departed 90 minutes late but arrived 51 minutes late
DL1162 (9:25pm to LAX) arrived 35 minutes late

Delta's 2 delays represented 6% of the flights and were minor compared to the duration on United.

What does this mean? I don't know. Just more data. I do feel a little better knowing that United does 55 daily flights on the routes and so some delays are to be expected.
Old Nov 17, 15, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta Plat; UA 1MM (former 1K)
I was on UA1919 yesterday. The delay was mechanical, the intercom between the pilots and the crew didn't work.

There may be a pattern, but I don't see how p.s. or SFO-EWR enters into the pattern.
Old Nov 17, 15, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GMoneyCO View Post
When you were going through the flights on Sunday and Monday were these all MX cancellations/delays or were some weather related?
I didn't see any weather related cancellations. There was at least one due to delayed inbound aircraft and even one about difficulties refueling (is that an often enough occurrence that it gets to have it's own category).
Old Nov 17, 15, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycityny View Post

United flew 55 ps flights yesterday. Delta flew 32 flights on the same routes.

Looking at the above there were 6 major delays on United out of that 55 flights, or 11%. I'm thinking the UA443 2 hour delay out of SFO perhaps lead to the 2 hour delay from EWR-LAX at 4:35pm due to aircraft availability?

Anyway, Delta's delays of more than 30 minutes:

DL450 (2:35pm to LAX) departed 90 minutes late but arrived 51 minutes late
DL1162 (9:25pm to LAX) arrived 35 minutes late

Delta's 2 delays represented 6% of the flights and were minor compared to the duration on United.
Interesting analysis. ^
Now, we'd just need to plug in AA's performance ........
Old Nov 17, 15, 12:37 pm

Does UA really fly 55 p.s. flights a day? I thought they announced 17 SFO-EWR + 15 LAX-EWR flights. That's a total of 32, not 55, which makes the 6 major delays look more like 20% than 11%.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: