FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1977045-consolidated-connection-time-logistics-domestic-international-ewr-archive.html)

placebo_68 Apr 22, 2012 8:50 am

Cutting it very neat

Originally Posted by Mr.Niels (Post 18439802)
After LH changed my itinerary I have 1h and 05min to connect to my UA Domestic flight (coming in from FRA). Is that enough time or should I rebook right away to avoid a 3-4 hours layover.

I would rebook. When I connect at EWR from EDI I always allow myself at least 90 mins and most times I do not have a significant amount of time to spare. Even when traveling with hand luggage only I have only ever managed to do it once in under 60mins.

TWA Fan 1 Apr 22, 2012 9:01 am

Originally Posted by placebo_68 (Post 18439819)
I would rebook. When I connect at EWR from EDI I always allow myself at least 90 mins and most times I do not have a significant amount of time to spare. Even when traveling with hand luggage only I have only ever managed to do it once in under 60mins.

Not only that, if I understood correctly, the OP will be coming in from FRA on LH, which will mean arriving at Terminal B, and then taking the EWR AirTrain to Terminal C, a process which adds a good 15 minutes minimum to the whole escapade...

placebo_68 Apr 22, 2012 9:08 am

We are saying the same thing

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 (Post 18439879)
Not only that, if I understood correctly, the OP will be coming in from FRA on LH, which will mean arriving at Terminal B, and then taking the EWR AirTrain to Terminal C, a process which adds a good 15 minutes minimum to the whole escapade...

That is the same scenario as coming in from EDI, by the time you clear customs, collect bag & recheck (if required) catch train, go back through security (assuming no delay for opt out) an hour can vanish very quickly, even using priority line for re-screening

TWA Fan 1 Apr 22, 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by placebo_68 (Post 18439912)
That is the same scenario as coming in from EDI, by the time you clear customs, collect bag & recheck (if required) catch train, go back through security (assuming no delay for opt out) an hour can vanish very quickly, even using priority line for re-screening

Understood. I knew that some PMCO flights arrive at Terminal B, I didn't realize it was consistently the case on a given flight.

gene2632 Apr 22, 2012 9:45 am

Many PMCO flights did come into terminal C but the OP is on LH so he is likely to come into Terminal B. He has has to be aware that many UA Express flights and some UA flights do operate out of Terminal A. Better to re-book now and avoid the aggravation that trying to do it in an hour will create with customs, etc

TWA Fan 1 Apr 22, 2012 9:55 am

Originally Posted by gene2632 (Post 18440080)
Many PMCO flights did come into terminal C but the OP is on LH so he is likely to come into Terminal B. He has has to be aware that many UA Express flights and some UA flights do operate out of Terminal A. Better to re-book now and avoid the aggravation that trying to do it in an hour will create with customs, etc

He is definitely arriving at Terminal B (since that is the only non-PMCO facility with customs at EWR), and I agree he/she should re-book, but, honestly whether his UA connection leaves out of Terminal A or C doesn't make a huge different either way in terms of the time needed to get from one point to another.

FlyinHawaiian Apr 22, 2012 10:24 am

I flew the same LH FRA-EWR flight last weekend and we arrived right around the same time as a SAS and also a TAP flight. As a US citizen (no Global Entry yet) it took me about 20-30 minutes to clear Immigration and get my bags.

I agree with the others above that the connection is too short to get from B to the domestic UA portion.

Madone59 Apr 22, 2012 10:49 am

I agree too. Through EWR a few times X: europe - 60min is not enough time.

Good luck.

kwildnj Apr 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 18440304)
I flew the same LH FRA-EWR flight last weekend and we arrived right around the same time as a SAS and also a TAP flight. As a US citizen (no Global Entry yet) it took me about 20-30 minutes to clear Immigration and get my bags.

I agree with the others above that the connection is too short to get from B to the domestic UA portion.

I certainally hope you did not fly though on Sunday and miss the chance to have met me. :mad:

But yes, 60 minutes is way to short. If you are checking any bags, cutoff is 30 minutes at baggage recheck, and unless you are super lucky, thats just not happening. Allow for 2 hours as a non-citizen and 1 hour for a citizen to clear customs alone. Then 30-45 minutes to make your actual connection.

dpakman91 Apr 24, 2012 7:34 am

EWR Question for EWR-EZE

I used to fly BDL-IAD-EZE every summer, and the timing of flights was great. Now that UA846/847 are moved to EWR, I realize that in July, BDL-EWR-EZE leaves me either 50 minutes for the connection or over 8 hours, neither ideal.

As an alternative, I'm thinking of taking an Amtrak train SPG-EWR, which considering check-in and parking for a flight will take roughly the same amount of time, and taking the EWR-EZE nonstop. However, the train I'm looking at arrives at EWR at 8:03pm, and the EWR-EZE flight leaves at 9:50pm.

I'm comfortable with this in principle, but having not flown out of EWR for years, I wanted to get your advice about (1) how close to the terminal the Amtrak will drop us, and whether you think this is a reasonable arrival time for check-in and security

TWA Fan 1 Apr 24, 2012 7:51 am

Originally Posted by dpakman91 (Post 18451661)
I used to fly BDL-IAD-EZE every summer, and the timing of flights was great. Now that UA846/847 are moved to EWR, I realize that in July, BDL-EWR-EZE leaves me either 50 minutes for the connection or over 8 hours, neither ideal.

As an alternative, I'm thinking of taking an Amtrak train SPG-EWR, which considering check-in and parking for a flight will take roughly the same amount of time, and taking the EWR-EZE nonstop. However, the train I'm looking at arrives at EWR at 8:03pm, and the EWR-EZE flight leaves at 9:50pm.

I'm comfortable with this in principle, but having not flown out of EWR for years, I wanted to get your advice about (1) how close to the terminal the Amtrak will drop us, and whether you think this is a reasonable arrival time for check-in and security

Assuming Amtrak is not late (not a given), you should be fine.

There is a "Newark Airport" rail station where select Amtrak and NJ Transit trains stop.

Once you get off the train, you ride an escalator up to a covered bridge across the train tracks, back down an escalator to the "EWR AirTrain" station, which is the airport's people mover.

You will then ride two stops to Terminal C (usually 5 minutes unless there is a malfunction which, unfortunately, happens quite frequently).

After that, you ride down another escalator, and you will be in the Terminal building. You will still need to ride one last escalator to get to the correct level to check in.

If you arrive at Newark Airport Station on time, and the EWR AirTrain is working properly, the whole transfer should take 15-20 minutes, no more.

dpakman91 Apr 24, 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 (Post 18451757)
Assuming Amtrak is not late (not a given), you should be fine.

There is a "Newark Airport" rail station where select Amtrak and NJ Transit trains stop.

Once you get off the train, you ride an escalator up to a covered bridge across the train tracks, back down an escalator to the "EWR AirTrain" station, which is the airport's people mover.

You will then ride two stops to Terminal C (usually 5 minutes unless there is a malfunction which, unfortunately, happens quite frequently).

After that, you ride down another escalator, and you will be in the Terminal building. You will still need to ride one last escalator to get to the correct level to check in.

If you arrive at Newark Airport Station on time, and the EWR AirTrain is working properly, the whole transfer should take 15-20 minutes, no more.

Thanks! Given the combination of convenience vs. risk, given the following options, which would you choose:

1) Arriving via plane from BDL 8.5 hours before the flight
2) Arriving via plane from BDL 50 minutes before the flight
3) Arriving via train from SPG 1 hour and 47 minutes before the flight

TWA Fan 1 Apr 24, 2012 8:04 am

Originally Posted by dpakman91 (Post 18451788)
Thanks! Given the combination of convenience vs. risk, given the following options, which would you choose:

1) Arriving via plane from BDL 8.5 hours before the flight
2) Arriving via plane from BDL 50 minutes before the flight
3) Arriving via train from SPG 1 hour and 47 minutes before the flight

2). Is out for sure. Not enough time, especially as the RJ's are the flights most often delayed at EWR.

Of the remaining two choices it's very tough indeed.

If you choose 1). you will not miss your flight, that's almost certain. And if, by some horrendous circumstance, you do, you will be accommodated by UA.

If you choose 3). and Amtrak is delayed, you're on your own, since UA will not accommodate you for a delay on Amtrak.

And the thing is, remember, you must check in no later than one hour before you flight's scheduled departure time, or you will be denied boarding. If your Amtrak is right on time and it takes 20 minutes to get from rail station to check-in counter, that leaves you a pad of only 27 minutes, so if Amtrak is 30 minutes late, or the horrendous EWR AirTrain has another malfunction, you are cutting it very close.

And, since there is only one flight a day EWR-EZE, if you miss it, the "wait" (for the flight the next day, assuming there are seats available) would be much longer than your choice #1 above.

Yoshi212 Apr 24, 2012 8:08 am

Another option would be going into Manhattan for a dinner before your flight, near Penn Station, and then heading out using NJ transit which has more frequent trains or taking the Bus from Port Authority that drops you at the front of the Terminal you need. The only real downside is if you have a lot of luggage but if you have only 1 carry on and 1 regular bag it shouldn't be much of a hassle and you get to buffer your schedule.

mike_plat Apr 24, 2012 8:11 am

I took Amtrak once from New London to EWR to catch a 7PM flight. What I thought would be a 3-hour wait at EWR turned into a 45 minute wait because of terrible delays Amtrak experienced going from the Bronx to Penn Station. I would not depend on Amtrak. You'll probably also have to go from Term A to C if you fly. I think you're stuck with the 8-hour wait.