Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 12:09 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
MCT for EWR (2012)

https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airport/connecting-flights

United Airlines operates a shuttle bus between Terminals A and C from 5:00am to 10:00pm. In addition, United also operates a shuttle bus connecting Terminal B to Terminals A and C from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The shuttle bus is available at gate A28, B67, and C70 as illustrated in the image above. This service is free and you will not have to go through TSA security again. Please note this shuttle is operated at the sole responsibility of United Airlines and is subject to modification at their discretion.

Archive: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 3, 12, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
Yes, that's the best they can do, but it's partially because of the merger (using the pre-merger UA gates in Terminal A, those are the "teen" gates), and partially because of the terrible layout of Terminal A, which requires you to go through security separately for every pod at Terminal A...

Unless there is a major renovation of Terminal A, really the only solution in the short term would be for UaCo to reduce the number of flights it operates out of EWR.
Unfortunately, I think you are correct that with the amount of flights etc and the layout...."it is what it is" but it really is crazy. I didnt mind so much today as we had time but I would hate to arrive at EWR with a tight international connection and make a similar transfer.
Old Apr 3, 12, 10:14 pm

In all fairness this connection has existed for awhile. Prior to SWA coming into EWR, A10 was an overflow gate for the CoEx operation and was used frequently.
Old Apr 3, 12, 10:59 pm

Programs: US CP
DCA-EWR-CPH with 78 mins in EWR... nervous!

Hi All,

Iíve never been through EWR (nor have I flown Colgan--which Iím not excited about, but thatís for another thread). Therefore, I have a question for all of you EWR experts. How screwed am I with this domestic-to-international connection?

UA flight 4950 DCA to EWR (operated by Colgan Air)
Depart: 2:54 p.m., Fri., Apr. 13, 2012
Arrive: 4:17 p.m. Fri., Apr. 13, 2012
Aircraft: Bombardier Q400

UA flight 122 EWR to CPH
Depart: 5:35 p.m., Fri., Apr. 13, 2012
Arrive: 7:35 a.m. +1 Day Sat., Apr. 14, 2012
Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Iím nervous about the 78 minute connection. If everything is on time, it shouldnít be an issue at all, as it looks like both flight operate out of terminal C. What concerns me, though, is Colganís on-time performance on the DCA-EWR route; recently, theyíve done horribly! It looks like DCA-EWR Colgan flights are routinely 1-2 hours late. Plus, Iíll be attempting this on a Friday afternoon, a busy time for both airports.

I guess I could request an SDC change to the earlier DCA-EWR flight, departing DCA at 11:09 AM. When would I do this? 24 hours before my scheduled 2:54 PM flight? (My booking class for 4950 is Y if that helps, but Iím not sure.) Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Should I just chill out?

Thank you very much!
Old Apr 4, 12, 8:38 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by 14thStreet View Post
Hi All,

Iíve never been through EWR (nor have I flown Colgan--which Iím not excited about, but thatís for another thread). Therefore, I have a question for all of you EWR experts. How screwed am I with this domestic-to-international connection?

UA flight 122 EWR to CPH

Iím nervous about the 78 minute connection. If everything is on time, it shouldnít be an issue at all, as it looks like both flight operate out of terminal C. What concerns me, though, is Colganís on-time performance on the DCA-EWR route; recently, theyíve done horribly! It looks like DCA-EWR Colgan flights are routinely 1-2 hours late. Plus, Iíll be attempting this on a Friday afternoon, a busy time for both airports.

I guess I could request an SDC change to the earlier DCA-EWR flight, departing DCA at 11:09 AM. When would I do this? 24 hours before my scheduled 2:54 PM flight? (My booking class for 4950 is Y if that helps, but Iím not sure.) Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Should I just chill out?

Thank you very much!

You SHOULD be fine,a Domestic-International connection in reality is no different than a Domestic-Domestic. I would watch the flight out of DCA like a hawk, and if at check-in it is delayed, try your best to get rerouted out to IAD for the non-stop IAD-CPH on SAS. Hopefully Friday the 13th is a good day for you

Mostly off topic, but something that irks me slightly is that for two airline partners (SAS and United) they, for the time being, both operate EWR-CPH flights, and they depart 5 minutes apart. While I understand that this is an ideal time, it would be nice if the partners could work on a schedule which is mutually beneficial. Oh well.
Old Apr 4, 12, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Hi All,

UA flight 122 EWR to CPH

Thank you very much!
I think your concerns are valid. Yes, if the DCA-EWR is more or less on time, you should be okay. although you would likely have to get from Terminals A to C (via the airside shuttle bus).

But if it is late, which, as you write, is pretty much a chronic issue, you will be out of luck, especially since there is only one flight to CPH per day.
Old Apr 4, 12, 8:44 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Yes, that's the best they can do, but it's partially because of the merger (using the pre-merger UA gates in Terminal A, those are the "teen" gates), and partially because of the terrible layout of Terminal A, which requires you to go through security separately for every pod at Terminal A...

Unless there is a major renovation of Terminal A, really the only solution in the short term would be for UaCo to reduce the number of flights it operates out of EWR.

A better solution, and how I thought things worked, would be to the same bus leave from C, stop at A2 and then continue to A1.
Old Apr 4, 12, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kwildnj View Post
A better solution, and how I thought things worked, would be to the same bus leave from C, stop at A2 and then continue to A1.
Possibly, but I think they do it the current way because a lot more people go from A2 to C than from A1.

The way they're doing it now, no one going from A2 to C has to wait for the shuttle bus to make its rounds at A1.

No matter what, though, I think we can all agree that it's a very basic, patched-together solution to get passengers from one place to another...
Old Apr 4, 12, 11:41 am

You SHOULD be fine,a Domestic-International connection in reality is no different than a Domestic-Domestic. I would watch the flight out of DCA like a hawk, and if at check-in it is delayed, try your best to get rerouted out to IAD for the non-stop IAD-CPH on SAS. Hopefully Friday the 13th is a good day for you
Thanks, kwildnj! What time does UA close the boarding process for international flights? I think for domestic, it's 15 minutes before scheduled departure time. Is it the same for international (i.e., boarding stops at 15 mins before departure)?
Old Apr 4, 12, 11:50 am

Thanks, kwildnj! What time does UA close the boarding process for international flights? I think for domestic, it's 15 minutes before scheduled departure time. Is it the same for international (i.e., boarding stops at 15 mins before departure)?
According to http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...s/default.aspx

The cutoff is 30 minutes for International flights, presumeably because they need to pull bags of passengers who do not make it. If all goes right, you have plenty of time.
Old Apr 4, 12, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...s/default.aspx

The cutoff is 30 minutes for International flights, presumeably because they need to pull bags of passengers who do not make it. If all goes right, you have plenty of time.
If all goes right...that means 14th Street has exactly 48 minutes from touchdown to the boarding cutoff at his flight to CPH...if the Colgan from DCA is right on time...

Ten minutes minimum to taxi to the gate...five more minutes minimum to open the door and walk out...ten-minute wait for the bus...two-minute bus ride...ten-minute walk to the new gate, which will almost certainly be on C3 side of Terminal C...that's 37 minutes total...leaving 14th Street with 11 minutes to go...

Since UAEX 4950 from DCA is chronically late, that doesn't seem very prudent to me.
Old Apr 4, 12, 12:17 pm

If all goes right...that means 14th Street has exactly 48 minutes from touchdown to the boarding cutoff at his flight to CPH...if the Colgan from DCA is right on time...

Ten minutes minimum to taxi to the gate...five more minutes minimum to open the door and walk out...ten-minute wait for the bus...two-minute bus ride...ten-minute walk to the new gate, which will almost certainly be on C3 side of Terminal C...that's 37 minutes total...leaving 14th Street with 11 minutes to go...

Since UAEX 4950 from DCA is chronically late, that doesn't seem very prudent to me.
There is no bus ride involved. The inital plan to shift all express flights to operate out of A was reversed the day after it was started. The OP will arrive into, and depart from Terminal C.

Also, United, from my observations, uses the first movement "Out" time as the "actual departure" and door opening at the gate "in" as the "actual arrival" time.

Lastly, how are you getting that 4950 is chronically late? From the best I can tell, that flight number is not currently in use, at least not in the DCA-EWR market.
Old Apr 4, 12, 12:23 pm

Thanks so much, TWA Fan 1 (and kwildnj). It seems that UA 4950 (or 4880 depending on the day of the week) will arrive at C-10x and UA 122 will depart out of C-something. So, I don't think I'll have to do the bus (right?).... Nevertheless, I'm going to call UA and beg them to put me on the earlier flight that departs DCA at 11:09 AM. That leaves a long layover at EWR, but better to be safe than sorry. Maybe when I call--if I can get through, as I'm UA dirt--I'll pitch it that I'm proactively trying to avoid a likely mis-connect, and my DCA-EWR booking class is Y. (I'm not sure the exact booking rules for my itinerary, but my EWR-CPH is Z fare class.) Does this sound reasonable?

Lastly, how are you getting that 4950 is chronically late? From the best I can tell, that flight number is not currently in use, at least not in the DCA-EWR market.
I believe UA 4950 operates only on Fridays, but on other days of the week, the similarly-timed Colgan/UAX flight operates as 4880. So, I've been looking at 4880 and 4950.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 4, 12 at 2:00 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 4, 12, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks so much, TWA Fan 1 (and kwildnj). It seems that UA 4950 (or 4880 depending on the day of the week) will arrive at C-10x and UA 122 will depart out of C-something. So, I don't think I'll have to do the bus (right?).... Nevertheless, I'm going to call UA and beg them to put me on the earlier flight that departs DCA at 11:09 AM. That leaves a long layover at EWR, but better to be safe than sorry. Maybe when I call--if I can get through, as I'm UA dirt--I'll pitch it that I'm proactively trying to avoid a likely mis-connect, and my DCA-EWR booking class is Y. (I'm not sure the exact booking rules for my itinerary, but my EWR-CPH is Z fare class.) Does this sound reasonable?
Sounds reasonable to me. Actually, yes, if I recall correctly, all the Colgan turboprops arrive at Terminal C, so that would cut down your transfer considerably.

But it could still be late, so a proactive effort on your part is probably not a bad idea...
Old Apr 7, 12, 8:25 am

I have a slightly different question. My flight, EWR-SAN will depart on monday at 5.26PM and I want to take an Amtrak from WAS to make the trip. I can take a train that will arrive EWR at 4.04PM. Do you think 82 minutes is enough, or should I take an earlier train which will arrive EWR at 1.20PM?
Old Apr 7, 12, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by RandD View Post
I have a slightly different question. My flight, EWR-SAN will depart on monday at 5.26PM and I want to take an Amtrak from WAS to make the trip. I can take a train that will arrive EWR at 4.04PM. Do you think 82 minutes is enough, or should I take an earlier train which will arrive EWR at 1.20PM?
Are you checking in luggage? If so, then I would take the earlier train. If not, then that should be okay in my opinion. Then again, i'm the type of person that allots myself 3 hours to come from Manhattan.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: