Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 12:09 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
MCT for EWR (2012)

https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airport/connecting-flights

United Airlines operates a shuttle bus between Terminals A and C from 5:00am to 10:00pm. In addition, United also operates a shuttle bus connecting Terminal B to Terminals A and C from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The shuttle bus is available at gate A28, B67, and C70 as illustrated in the image above. This service is free and you will not have to go through TSA security again. Please note this shuttle is operated at the sole responsibility of United Airlines and is subject to modification at their discretion.

Archive: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 25, 12, 1:13 am

Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow with a Seat in the Fully Reclined Position
Programs: UA Global Services, UA 2 MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Honors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Need more detail on the IAH question. If you are coming from a pre-departure clearance country you should be ok. But, if you are not, there is no way I would personally allow that short of an international to domestic connection at IAH.

Tom
Old Mar 25, 12, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC E50K
International UA to Air Canada Connection in EWR

I'm flying DEL-EWR (United Airlines), and then EWR-YYC (Air Canada). The AC flight is code-shared with UA, so it's just 1 ticket, and I have to change terminals at EWR, I have 3 hours connecting time.

Now, I have never connected at an American airport before, so what is the procedure? I was reading that you have to re-check your bags, clear customs/immigration, etc. Is this true?

I usually connect at AMS or FRA, and the only thing I need to do is security check. If I have to re-check bags, clear customs/immigration it seems a lot of hassle, no? Should I just pay a little extra and connect through AMS where it's much more pax friendly?
Old Mar 27, 12, 10:18 am

Connecting time in EWR. INt'l to Domestic

Hello,
This is my first post of Flyertalk

I am planning on booking a United flight from Bombay, India to SFO, US.
United has a layover in EWR, BOM-EWR arrives at 5:20 am.
EWR-SFO leaves at 6:59am. Layover 1hr 39 minutes.

I will clear immigration and stuff in EWR.
Is this doable? Its early in the morning if you didn't notice.
Let me know honestly, my other alternative is a flight via LHR with a 10 hr layover.

Do INt'l to domestic flights tranfer baggage through to final destination?
Awaiting your valuable response.
Old Mar 27, 12, 10:21 am

Too tight, even without checked bags. I would not do it.
Old Mar 27, 12, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K (1.5MM)
Are you a US Citizen or permanent resident?

The immigration lines for US Citizens are usually shorter.

At that time of the morning, there aren't any other arriving international flights, so the delay should be minimal at customs.

However, your primary delay will be waiting in line at the security screening checkpoint. Your secondary delay will be waiting for your luggage at baggage claim.

The arrivals procedure is as follows:
1) At check-in in BOM, your bags should be tagged to SFO as your final destination. You will also received your EWR-SFO boarding pass.
2) Once you clear immigration in EWR, you will proceed to baggage claim and pick up your checked luggage.
3) You will clear customs in EWR with your checked luggage.
4) After customs, you will drop off your bag in the bag drop area. Your bag is tagged to SFO.
5) Proceed to security screening with your EWR-SFO boarding pass (issued in BOM). You will not need to check-in again.
Old Mar 27, 12, 10:41 am

Programs: UA
Although the connection is tight, since you are arriving first thing in the morning there are generally hourly flights from EWR-SFO, so if you miss the connection, rebooking shouldn't be too much of a problem unless it's right before a holiday.
Old Mar 27, 12, 11:18 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Not knowing your travel dates, I cannot speak for actual times, but there seems to be a 7:00 or so flight each day, followed by an 8:30am or so flight.

Is the slightly later flight not an option for you because of a price issue, or do you need to be in SFO at a certain time?

As others have said, you are on the cusp of this itinerary being doable, if and only if you a) get in on time b) are an American Citizen, traveling under your US Passport and c) You are able to get processed through Customs quickly.

Even though, as others have indicated, this is a slow time for Customs, they will too have an abrieviated staffing level, so keep that in mind.

While I have not been present when you will be getting in, processing usually takes 30-60 minutes for US Citizens, and 60-120 for non-citizens. This is from the time the door opens, to the time you are exiting into International arrivals. I would think the low end would be accurate for your arrival time.

An important note for baggage. The baggage cut-off is :30 minutes before your flight's departure time, regardless if you are checking it at the counter or baggage recheck, so keep that in mind.
Old Apr 3, 12, 5:52 pm

Assuming that this is the right place to post...

Is a 78-minute connection acceptable for a domestic transfer? Landing at Terminal C from DFW at 11AM, leaving from Terminal C to Buffalo at 12:18PM. Seems like EWR is incredibly delay-prone, just wanted to check. Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 12, 6:00 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by chubbyfatazn View Post
Assuming that this is the right place to post...

Is a 78-minute connection acceptable for a domestic transfer? Landing at Terminal C from DFW at 11AM, leaving from Terminal C to Buffalo at 12:18PM. Seems like EWR is incredibly delay-prone, just wanted to check. Thanks.
Your inbound flight has a good chance of arriving ontime, if not 30 minutes early. You have plenty of time to make your connection. Even if you were delayed 45 minutes, you have plenty of time.
Old Apr 3, 12, 9:10 pm

EWR Transfer from Terminal C to Terminal A Gates 1X. Really?!

So, my wife and I were returning from FLL to IND today via EWR. We have not really been through EWR before or after the merger so we were looking forward to seeing the layout etc. Well, when we landed in terminal C we were pretty happy as it was pretty nice. We check our departure gate and it is A17. Ok, that is another terminal so lets see how to get there. It is a shuttle so we make out way there. It appeared everyone had the lady at the shuttle stop check their boarding pass so we did the same (not sure if this is required or not) and she informed us that we would take this shuttle then take another shuttle later and to inform the driver that we were going to A17. Well, we take the shuttle from terminal C to terminal A gate 20's and then got off that bus and then walked over and got on a small little shuttle to get over o the terminal A 10's gates.

Is this really the best we can do here? This was a complete cluster and I really felt for the mother traveling with two kids with one in a stroller having to deal with this, even with the help from people on the bus and the UA employees.
Old Apr 3, 12, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You could have gone out past security and taken the train to Terminal A and then gone back through security. That would seem to be much worse than two quick bus rides.
Old Apr 3, 12, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM+ - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Welcome to the split ops at EWR.

You actually flew out of the PMUA gates. Up until about a week ago those two gates (16 & 17) were exclusively used by the PMUA aircraft and you had to know if you where flying PMUA or PMCO mainline to determine which terminal to go to.
Now they are using those 2 gates for the Express operations, which is actually easier to understand. All mainline flights now go in and out of C (except some international arrivals into B). (Yes, UA can operate from EVERY terminal in EWR. I like to call if parking roulette for those of us who live here and park at EWR.)

Now if UA could get B6 to move into the PMUA gates then it would be a better story, but from what others have said B6 has no desire to make things 'better' for UA and the UA & B6 customers lose.
Old Apr 3, 12, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Yes, that's the best they can do, but it's partially because of the merger (using the pre-merger UA gates in Terminal A, those are the "teen" gates), and partially because of the terrible layout of Terminal A, which requires you to go through security separately for every pod at Terminal A...

Unless there is a major renovation of Terminal A, really the only solution in the short term would be for UaCo to reduce the number of flights it operates out of EWR.
Old Apr 3, 12, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by CMH500 View Post
You could have gone out past security and taken the train to Terminal A and then gone back through security. That would seem to be much worse than two quick bus rides.
Two quick bus rides. We waited about 10 minutes upstairs at C then another 5 downstairs for another bus as the first bus was full up and then the time to get from C to A and then from A to A....not two quick bus rids in my mind. Makes ORD term 1 to term 2 look like good and I refuse to take that bus and always walk instead.
Old Apr 3, 12, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
Two quick bus rides. We waited about 10 minutes upstairs at C then another 5 downstairs for another bus as the first bus was full up and then the time to get from C to A and then from A to A....not two quick bus rids in my mind. Makes ORD term 1 to term 2 look like good and I refuse to take that bus and always walk instead.
Taking the train would have been worse. The train, at its most frequent runs every 4 minutes, and there are often delays because of its poor design.

Then you would have to go through security again at Terminal A...which would have taken at least 10 minutes...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: