Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MCT for EWR (2012)

https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airport/connecting-flights

United Airlines operates a shuttle bus between Terminals A and C from 5:00am to 10:00pm. In addition, United also operates a shuttle bus connecting Terminal B to Terminals A and C from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The shuttle bus is available at gate A28, B67, and C70 as illustrated in the image above. This service is free and you will not have to go through TSA security again. Please note this shuttle is operated at the sole responsibility of United Airlines and is subject to modification at their discretion.

Archive: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sabai
Hi All

I have a Thai friend flying in from NRT to EWR with a 1'10" connection for a 6:00 pm flight to DCA.

If date the matters, will be on July 3.

As its been eons since I've used this airport, any prognostications? This will be his first visit to the US and I'm hoping that this will not be an unduly traumatic event.

FWIW, it's a UA to UA flight, and he's flying in J.

Many thanks for you insights.
I'd be very surprised if he made that connection. As a non-US citizen my wife regularly takes 45 mins to clear immigration at EWR. Add in the need to drop off bags and reclear security, plus UA closing the doors 15 mins before departure I think it's very very tight.

Is the 6pm the last DCA flight of the night? If not I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not likely doable for a non-USN/non-GE who isn't really familiar with the airport and has any checked luggage.

But, unless it's the last flight of the night, it's not world-ending. In addition, it's only a 2-1/2 hour train ride to WAS, so there are backups.

If this is an inexperienced traveler or someone with any language barriers, I would simply change to the next EWR-DCA and play this safer.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Very tight

If the international flight arrives ahead of the schedule, there is a chance to make the connection because EWR-DCA flight leaves from Concourse C. There are two later flights on ERJ145, which depart from Concourse A (taking a shuttle bus from ~C70 Gate).

Here are some possible actions:
1) Check the time and the flight schedule;
2) if there is more than 40 min before the scheduled departure of the booked EWR-DCA flight, go through the security at Concourse C and run to catch the flight (no stopover anywhere!);
3) if there is less than 30 min before the scheduled departure, change the ticket to a later flight or next day flight at the luggage re-check place. If they really want a flight with first class seat, they should think of spending a night at NYC or re-routing to IAD (Washington-Dulles).
4) If they have to take the later flights, take the AirTrain to Concourse A and pass the security there.
Good luck.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:45 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...R+consolidated
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would under no circumstances allow class of service to interfere in flight connections for EWR-DCA. OP's intl. Business ticket will ticket into domestic F where it is available. This can be anywhere from a 25-40 minute flight and there is largely nothing F about F other than the seat.

Bearing in mind that WX and ATC problems are the most common cause of problems on the mini-haul to DCA, the better backup is Amtrak.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
EWR Terminal A to B3 with 1 hr. 45 min. connect time, will this be enought time.

I've booked a ticket on United with a UA flight from DAY-EWR on United, and connecting to an SAS flight in terminal B3 to CPH. If the DAY-EWR flight is on time, I'll have 1 hr. 45 min. connection time, will this be enough time to connect? How much time should it generally take? If my flight is delayed an hour, should I still make my connection? Will be traveling mid-week during first weekend in September. Flight time into EWR arrives at 9:45 PM, and my SAS flight departs at 11:30 PM. There seems to maybe be an airside shuttle from A to B3 according to the United maps for EWR. Just wondering if anyone knows if 1 hr. 45 min. is enough, and at what point am in trouble if my DAY-EWR is late? Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swdke
I've booked a ticket on United with a UA flight from DAY-EWR on United, and connecting to an SAS flight in terminal B3 to CPH. If the DAY-EWR flight is on time, I'll have 1 hr. 45 min. connection time, will this be enough time to connect? How much time should it generally take? If my flight is delayed an hour, should I still make my connection? Will be traveling mid-week during first weekend in September. Flight time into EWR arrives at 9:45 PM, and my SAS flight departs at 11:30 PM. There seems to maybe be an airside shuttle from A to B3 according to the United maps for EWR. Just wondering if anyone knows if 1 hr. 45 min. is enough, and at what point am in trouble if my DAY-EWR is late? Thanks.
Should be ok as you're just changing terminals, no customs/immigration or anything. Only issue is having to take the AirTrain between terminals (no A->B bus IIRC, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

But - flying that late in the day would worry me greatly, especially on UX where delays mount and they're the first to take ATC delays. I'd try to get on an earlier flights.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Should be ok as you're just changing terminals, no customs/immigration or anything. Only issue is having to take the AirTrain between terminals (no A->B bus IIRC, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

But - flying that late in the day would worry me greatly, especially on UX where delays mount and they're the first to take ATC delays. I'd try to get on an earlier flights.
Yes, with the flight being late in day, and possibilities of ATC delays, I am indeed concerned. However, fights are ticketed, so I have to hope for the best. Basically just trying to get a heads up on what I might face if there are delays.

I am hoping there really is an A to B bus. The United map says there is, but there is little chatter about it here on FT. Granted, I've found some confirmation here on FT about such an A to B bus, but not enough to give me confidence.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yes, with the flight being late in day, and possibilities of ATC delays, I am indeed concerned. However, fights are ticketed, so I have to hope for the best. Basically just trying to get a heads up on what I might face if there are delays.
I'm sure your UX flight will change its departure time between now and then - wait for the change, and then try and get it moved up.

At T-24, try and do a SDC to the earlier one (you'd have to pay for it, but prob worth it)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:19 pm

I'm sure your UX flight will change its departure time between now and then - wait for the change, and then try and get it moved up.

At T-24, try and do a SDC to the earlier one (you'd have to pay for it, but prob worth it)
Thanks, but what does SDC mean? Same Day Change?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, but what does SDC mean? Same Day Change?
Yup - you'll pay a fee ($75? can't remember), but should avoid any fare diff inside T-24
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver

I am hoping there really is an A to B bus. The United map says there is, but there is little chatter about it here on FT. Granted, I've found some confirmation here on FT about such an A to B bus, but not enough to give me confidence.
There is an airside shuttle bus that runs A2 <=> B3 <=> C1. Although from what I recall you have to ask to get off at B, otherwise it bypasses the stop.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:02 pm

Let's say I am unable to change my flight to get to EWR earlier, and my DAY-EWR flight is delayed such that I miss my SAS EWR-CPH connection. Do I call UA to be rescheduled, do I see if SAS can help, or do I see if a United agent at the airport can help with rescheduling? Oh I forgot, I booked via USAir using USAir miles. Do I call them?

Reason I ask is that I had a buddy who flew recently from DAY-IAD, and was to connect to an Austrian airline to Vienna. His DAY-IAD flight was delayed, and missed the Austrain airline fight to vienna. He sought help ironically with Lufthansa who was occupying the gate where the Austrain flight departed, as there was no one with Austrain to help. Lufthansa said they could not help, and they sent him to United, and they refused to help, eventhough he was ticketed through United. So he went back to Lufthansa and somehow managed to get on a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt then on to Vienna. However, for some reason they did not give him all his boarding passes, the ones from FRA to Vienna. So when he arrived at FRA, he struggled finding someone to help get him a boarding pass to Vienna. When he found an agent, they said his booking was wrong, and that the agent in IAD should not have done what they did. Eventually, they helped him out and gave him the boarding pass to Vienna.

I am traveling with my 73 year old mother, I don't know how my friend managed to find himself in such a crazy situation, but I don't want to face the same situation. So, if I do miss my connection to Copenhagen on SAS, any suggestion on who I seek for help, who should be responsible for help? Is it SAS, United, or USAir who I ticketed with. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Critic
There is an airside shuttle bus that runs A2 <=> B3 <=> C1. Although from what I recall you have to ask to get off at B, otherwise it bypasses the stop.
How frequent is the service from A to B? Thanks.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 14, 2013 at 9:22 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's say I am unable to change my flight to get to EWR earlier, and my DAY-EWR flight is delayed such that I miss my SAS EWR-CPH connection. Do I call UA to be rescheduled, do I see if SAS can help, or do I see if a United agent at the airport can help with rescheduling? Oh I forgot, I booked via USAir using USAir miles. Do I call them? ....
The airline that creates the problem is responsible for fixing the problem (IATA rule) --- assuming your bookings have legal MCT. However as an US award flight you will likely encounter a low sense of urgency -- so be proactive and have options in mind.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
Never ever flown intl out of EWR and never transitted through on an intl return. First time for everything.

In September going EWR-FRA-FMO/IST-EWR-LAX. On the return I am GE, and I have a 2.5H layover with no checked luggage. Based on what I'm reading I should be good.

All signs point to no problem, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.