FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1977045-consolidated-connection-time-logistics-domestic-international-ewr-archive.html)

LilAbner Aug 7, 2012 7:40 am

Originally Posted by ExitRowLegroom (Post 19074546)
My wife and I will be flying back on a redeye from LAX in October and it lands at EWR at 7:30 AM. Our EWR-PHL flight takes off at 8:03 AM. I know 33 minutes will be cutting it close, especially if the flight arrives late (thankfully, both flights should be out of Terminal C).

In the event that our flight is missed, should I expect anything from UA? We booked this because it earned us more airmiles and PHL was considerably cheaper than EWR.

Yep, two seats on the next available flight.

Don't sweat something that you have no control over.

Enjoy you trip and you still have every flight that day to connect to should something go wrong.

nicksname Aug 7, 2012 7:53 am

33 Minute UA Connection in EWR

Woah that's an awfully tight connection time. Usually, UA will not allow a booking with such a tight connection in case of delays, suh as the situation you have mentioned. Was this all booked under one ticket? If so, then UA is obligated to put you on the next available flight. However, if you booked these flights separately, you may not be entitled to any compensation or help from UA

Often1 Aug 7, 2012 8:07 am

My wife and I will be flying back on a redeye from LAX in October and it lands at EWR at 7:30 AM. Our EWR-PHL flight takes off at 8:03 AM. I know 33 minutes will be cutting it close, especially if the flight arrives late (thankfully, both flights should be out of Terminal C).

In the event that our flight is missed, should I expect anything from UA? We booked this because it earned us more airmiles and PHL was considerably cheaper than EWR.

If the connection is important for timing reasons, it's way too tight. 33 mins (legal for EWR) means 18 mins. because at T-15, UA will give OP's seats to an overbooked or otherwise standby pax.

If timing is flexible, there are tons of later options, both by air and via Amtrak (codeshare).

ExitRowLegroom Aug 7, 2012 8:09 am

All of it was booked under one ticket, so it'll all be fine. And thankfully, since we are flying back to Philly, we could even take Amtrak to ZFV and then just take SEPTA to the airport (so we wouldn't need to wait for the next departure to PHL at 12:04 PM). Not sure if United would accommodate that, but I guess we'll find out if the situation presents itself.

njcommodore Aug 7, 2012 8:11 am

Redeyes often land early because of tailwinds and light traffic. My last one was about 45 min early into EWR. There are 9 flights today from EWR-PHL. I wouldn't sweat it, even if you miss your 8:30. They'll put you on the next one.

LilAbner Aug 7, 2012 8:13 am

I don't quite understand how you're getting back to LAX from PHL, or if it's a r/t on this itin, but if you skip the second leg, and take a train, your entire itinerary is dead from then on.

tarheelnj Aug 7, 2012 8:20 am

Also, keep a watch out for schedule changes between now and October, which could affect the timing of the flights (potentially in your favor), as well as the aircraft type.

For example, your 2nd flight is a prop jet, which will leave out of Terminal C. If that flight is changed to an Express Jet 145 or 170 (there are several 145's on the EWR-PHL schedule today), that flight will be leaving out of Terminal A, requiring one or two shuttle bus trips.

On your red eye, try to sit as close to the exit as possible, even if it means paying for E+ seating. That will help some as well.

njcommodore Aug 7, 2012 8:25 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 19074780)
Also, keep a watch out for schedule changes between now and October, which could affect the timing of the flights (potentially in your favor), as well as the aircraft type.

For example, your 2nd flight is a prop jet, which will leave out of Terminal C. If that flight is changed to an Express Jet 145 or 170 (there are several 145's on the EWR-PHL schedule today), that flight will be leaving out of Terminal A, requiring one or two shuttle bus trips.

On your red eye, try to sit as close to the exit as possible, even if it means paying for E+ seating. That will help some as well.

There's always the direct LAX-PHL on UA metal (as well as US) if you want to SDC, change to in IRROPS, or ask a phone rep to change to.

cesco.g Aug 7, 2012 12:59 pm

Had folks travelling LAX-EWR redeye to connect to SDQ (Santo Domingo) with 1h20 to make it.
Sure enough LAX-EWR was late and they missed their onward flight.
They realized after the fact, that the LAX-EWR redeye has an ontime rating of 30% !!! :td:

bmvaughn Aug 11, 2012 8:44 am

MAD-EWR-SEA, 1h35m connection with Global Entry. Seems entirely doable, even with checked luggage, right?

CDKing Aug 11, 2012 9:21 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 19074780)

This was just my luck with the weekend schedule changes. now have a 45 min connect in EWR with the need to switch from terminal A to C. sure its 5 min over MCT but were talking december. Ugg. any chance of a refund with the 60 min schedule change?

lordlucan Aug 12, 2012 10:33 am

1hr 10 EWR Int-Dom connection

My flights lands from IST at 6.26pm and my new connecting flight to FLL leaves at 7.36pm. Leaving me with just 1 hour 10 min to connect.
Is this a illegal connection ?
UA have put me on the last flight in the evening. Other wise I will need to overnight at EWR :mad:

bsb21 Aug 12, 2012 10:53 am

Not sure if its illegal, but its EXTREMELY tight.

Evenings are usually busy with transatlantic arrivals, which means a line at passport control. Last time i was in EWR, I had to wait about 30min just to get to through passport control.

UnitedFlyGuy Aug 12, 2012 10:54 am

That's tight, IMO. Mostly given the recent operational issues.

njcommodore Aug 12, 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by lordlucan (Post 19106030)
My flights lands from IST at 6.26pm and my new connecting flight to FLL leaves at 7.36pm. Leaving me with just 1 hour 10 min to connect.
Is this a illegal connection ?
UA have put me on the last flight in the evening. Other wise I will need to overnight at EWR :mad:

Was there a schedule change?

If you have Global Entry you've got a shot. Otherwise, I would say probably not. When is your flight?