Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Glad you got it. I suspect the email address is for someone at Chase Travel, though it is odd that it came from a gmail account. Perhaps they're independent contractors. I thought about emailing the person, and decided against it - why identify myself and let them know they got my pins

I've never had an issue receiving them when I booked via UA directly, though it's been a while since I've received one.

I've also contacted UA Insider again and explained what happened. The entire process appears to be broken, and no matter how many times reservations sent the paperwork out, they never actually sent the certs to the email address in my profile or provided.
Some more info on this...

Exactly 31 days after I cancelled the original flights the certificates were emailed to me. 3 days later I got another copy, and 3 days after that, another copy to the secondary email address I gave them.

My guess is that because the tickets were purchased via the Chase site they wait a month before issuing the credits.

If that is the case, not a single person I contacted, from UA Insider, to reservations, to supervisors, and finally, customer care, told me there would be a wait to get the them.

But that still does not explain the email address I was told they were sent to that was not mine. Unless, of course, someone blew that as well.

They really need to get their acts together with these certificates.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: United Global Services
Multiple ETC on same purchase

When you purchase a ticket on united.com and it comes time to put in ETC credits at pay time......can I use multiple ones from my family on the same purchase.......?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Love_flying
When you purchase a ticket on united.com and it comes time to put in ETC credits at pay time......can I use multiple ones from my family on the same purchase.......?
Is your family traveling with you?

You can use one ETC per person. Doesn't matter who the travelers actually are, but you can only use one per person on a PNR. You will need the last name on the ETC to redeem, but it doesn't have to be them traveling.

If you are traveling alone and doing round-trip, you can try booking two one-way trips and seeing how that prices out to use two ETCs - this works pretty well domestically now since most destinations are the same price to do 2 one-ways vs roundtrip - though often that's not the case for international fares.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Unforunately no, you can only use one per ticket.

But since you are buying tickets for multiple people, you have the option to buy separate tickets and use an ETC per ticket.

The disadvantage is that you're on separate tickets in case of canceled flights, etcetera. But the advantage is that you can apply more credit to your overall purchase.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:13 am

Can I purchase three tickets for three family members on the same record locator then and use three ETC's on that same record locater…….or will I have to book individual tickets and locators for ALL of them?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Use pay later option (after you have a confirmation number) and call united to pay with ETCs. I think that you can use multiple ETC credits. I recently purchased a ticket with three passengers on it. I was able to redeem an ETC online without any trouble.
Good luck.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Can I purchase three tickets for three family members on the same record locator then and use three ETC's on that same record locater…
Yes and the ETCs can be different amounts. You can not use the same ETC to cover two different passengers.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes and the ETCs can be different amounts. You can not use the same ETC to cover two different passengers.
Worked like a charm. Just applied a different one to each ticket within the record. Thanks for all the tips!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:20 pm

Is there any chance this has changed recently?

This rule of thumb has always been the way I remembered it from this forum. But a few weeks ago I used an ETC from a canceled ticket of mine to apply to a PNR with me and Mrs. GretelNick, and it covered the whole expense for both passengers.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Can an ETC be used for multiple tickets?

One of my relatives has a $500 ETC.

Can she use it to towards two separate tickets? (e.g. book 1 ticket for $200, then book another for the remaining $300 ETC balance?)

If not, could she use all $500 in one transaction for two pax on the same PNR?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:58 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Wooglin
One of my relatives has a $500 ETC.

Can she use it to towards two separate tickets? (e.g. book 1 ticket for $200, then book another for the remaining $300 ETC balance?)

If not, could she use all $500 in one transaction for two pax on the same PNR?
Yes, she can use it over multiple tickets. The code won't change; she can keep using it until it's fully depleted.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wooglin
.... If not, could she use all $500 in one transaction for two pax on the same PNR?
No, has to go the two ticket approach. Note the second ticket does not have to be the original person.

So another alternative, is instead of one PNR, two people. Book the travel for two people on two PNRs. Book the first ticket and then use the remainder of the ETC for the second ticket / PNR.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2016 at 1:40 pm Reason: incorrect advice
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:57 am

No, has to go the two ticket approach. Note the second ticket does not have to be the original person.

So another alternative, is instead of one PNR, two people. Book the travel for two people on two PNRs. Book the first ticket and then use the remainder of the ETC for the second ticket / PNR.
This may not be the thread for a discussion of this, but I recently was able to apply an ETC from a canceled single-person itinerary to a new PNR with two people. Not sure if the policy has changed or if something else triggered that.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by GretelNick
This may not be the thread for a discussion of this, but I recently was able to apply an ETC from a canceled single-person itinerary to a new PNR with two people. Not sure if the policy has changed or if something else triggered that.
Was the ETC greater than the fare of one passenger? Applying ETC for a single passenger on a multi-passenger PNR has been standard.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Was the ETC greater than the fare of one passenger? Applying ETC for a single passenger on a multi-passenger PNR has been standard.
I recently bought a one-way ticket for my wife and I using an ETC. The ETC covered all but about $12 of the combined fare. No issue using the ETC for the two-person itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.