Search

UM Placed on incorrect flight at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Imstevek
I have no idea how you can make that assertion.
Research and read enough, experience enough, and understand well enough how processes and people work and don’t, and it’s easy enough to get beyond assertions and realize what did and didn’t happen and know where the gaps may be and where they may not be.
Originally Posted by mduell
SAS policy is completely irrelevant when the mother chose to book a UA flight.
Which just gets back to that this was UA’s mess-up from a policy level to a practical level.

SAS, on the other hand, saved the day.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2019 at 12:59 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Maybe the teen turns 15 during the trip? You are technically supposed to book the child at the age on the return flight. Maybe the mother also booked him as an adult.

ETA: on SAS's website, I just tried booking a single youth ticket (ages 12-25), and it only allows me to book from one of their US gateways, not from places like DEN or RDU.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Maybe the teen turns 15 during the trip? You are technically supposed to book the child at the age on the return flight. Maybe the mother also booked him as an adult.

ETA: on SAS's website, I just tried booking a single youth ticket (ages 12-25), and it only allows me to book from one of their US gateways, not from places like DEN or RDU.
The mother seems to have been responsive on Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrendaBer...ong-country%2F

SAS website has fewer airports loaded into it than there are cities for which SAS sells tickets.

I just say this because SAS’s website is not the be all on where and how tickets are bought for SAS flights.

Regardless of how booked, the birthdate and sex would have been entered before a ticket could be issued for a flight involving a US airport.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 2, 2019 at 12:15 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I just say this because SAS’s website is not the be all on where and how tickets are bought for SAS flights.
While that is true, most major OTAs I have tried won't allow you to book anyone 15 and under as a single ticket.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:18 pm

Glad the kid arrived safely at the destination, when all is said and done. The airlines involved here should definitely review their UM policies at a high corporate level and make immediate changes.

One thing I want to highlight - the brother's sister commented on the View From The Wing blog,
... My brother is not a very outspoken person ...
If that's true, then he should not be flying solo in the way he did. There are so many things that could go wrong (the thing that did go wrong being one example) that a non-outspoken 14-year-old should not be flying alone on a connecting international itinerary, period. There is no shame in not being outspoken; in many cases it's a virtue, as our society has too many aggressively outspoken people. But I digress.

One could argue the mother was irresponsible putting her son in this situation. Of course nothing here is the mother's fault; I am only speaking of the mother's responsibility. She may be very upset to read these words. However we all have the same goal: we want her kid (and all kids) to be transported safely and correctly. While we wish all airlines were perfectly competent in all services provided (especially those forced on you), the best way to ensure the ultimate goal may be to personally accompany her kid.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
While that is true, most major OTAs I have tried won't allow you to book anyone 15 and under as a single ticket.
Don’t they still do it over the phone? Cue the jokes about calling up OTAs.
Originally Posted by davie355
Glad the kid arrived safely at the destination, when all is said and done. The airlines involved here should definitely review their UM policies at a high corporate level and make immediate changes.

One thing I want to highlight - the brother's sister commented on the View From The Wing blog,
... My brother is not a very outspoken person ...
If that's true, then he should not be flying solo in the way he did. There are so many things that could go wrong (the thing that did go wrong being one example) that a non-outspoken 14-year-old should not be flying alone on a connecting international itinerary, period. There is no shame in not being outspoken; in many cases it's a virtue, as our society has too many aggressively outspoken people. But I digress.

One could argue the mother was irresponsible putting her son in this situation. Of course nothing here is the mother's fault; I am only speaking of the mother's responsibility. She may be very upset to read these words. However we all have the same goal: we want her kid (and all kids) to be transported safely and correctly. While we wish all airlines were perfectly competent in all services provided (especially those forced on you), the best way to ensure the ultimate goal may be to personally accompany her kid.
He was apparently outspoken enough that the plane went back to the gate and offloaded him.

Most frequent flying Americans would be afraid of becoming outspoken to flight crew members and more or less ask to be returned to the gate for voluntary offloading. And if they did try to get voluntarily returned to the gate for offloading, the reception party members may not be your friendly neighborhood welcoming committee bearing candies and flowers.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2019 at 12:59 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold

Which just gets back to that this was UA’s mess-up from a policy level to a practical level.

SAS, on the other hand, saved the day.
While UA did screw up, SAS is the party that ACTUALLY PUT HIM ON THE WRONG PLANE.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:32 pm

Most frequent flying Americans would be afraid of becoming outspoken to flight crew members and more or less ask to be returned to the gate for voluntary offloading. And if they did try to get voluntarily returned to the gate for offloading, the reception party members may not be your friendly neighborhood welcoming committee bearing candies and flowers.
It depends on the stakes. I imagine most Americans won't ask to return to the gate to pick up shaving cream they left behind in the airport lounge. But to ask to return to the gate because they are on the wrong flight? I'd definitely do that. As for the candles and flowers, the border agent at the incorrect international destination won't bear those either....
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davie355
It depends on the stakes. I imagine most Americans won't ask to return to the gate to pick up shaving cream they left behind in the airport lounge. But to ask to return to the gate because they are on the wrong flight? I'd definitely do that. As for the candles and flowers, the border agent at the incorrect international destination won't bear those either....
You’re a braver person than most, if after boarding in the US you’re willing to verbally fight back (for any or no reason) against the crew over the plane going from the taxiway to the runway (instead of back to the US departure gate).
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
UA messed up no doubt.

I really don't know why Americans are so up-tight when it comes to UM. I did my first solo international trip when I was 13 and we were always very careful to avoid any of US based airlines.

Many parents in Asia send their 13/14/15 year old kids unaccompanied to the US or Europe all the time.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trm2
While UA did screw up, SAS is the party that ACTUALLY PUT HIM ON THE WRONG PLANE.
SAS didn’t put him on the wrong plane. It was the UAM service which did.

After he got offloaded from the Eurowings flight on which he was placed, SAS rerouted him to take the flight to CPH and then onward. It spared him from ending up overnighting at EWR.
drewguy and samwise6222 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k

Research and read enough, experience enough, and understand well enough how processes and people work and don’t, and it’s easy enough to get beyond assertions and realize what did and didn’t happen and know where the gaps may be and where they may not be.
That's a long sentence to say "I don't really know, I'm assuming...." because there is no process for UA to provide a UM service that is far outside their CoC, to the instance where a) the UM agent isn't delivering a UM to the plane, but retreiving one, and b) moving from Terminal C to Terminal B, and c) have that process established and executed on the same day?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold

SAS didn’t put him on the wrong plane. It was the UAM service which did.

After he got offloaded from the Eurowings flight on which he was placed, SAS rerouted him to take the flight to CPH and then onward. It spared him from ending up overnighting at EWR.
Sorry, I did get the airlines mixed up. It was Eurowings that actually put him on the wrong plane. An actual check of the boarding pass would have prevented this (quite frankly either by UA or Eurowings)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Quite honestly, I don't know who messed up. We don't even know whether this was a single ticket or two tickets. If it was two tickets, maybe the poor RDU agent didn't even know about the connecting flight and it was the kid that brought this up to the EWR walker. Something of the sort, I shouldn't be going to baggage claim, I should be going to my flight to Europe. Maybe the the SK and the EW flight were boarding at contiguous gates?

As a person who works for a large organization that offers complex products, I can tell you that large organizations with complex products only work well when all of the rules are followed. You can't spitball things and hope that they will work. Failing to follow rules should have consequences for whoever messed up. I hope the FTers listening who ask for rules to be broken to allow them to get something that they desire read this thread and see how wrong that can go.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Imstevek
That's a long sentence to say "I don't really know, I'm assuming...."
No, it’s not, unless you are speaking of your own sentence.
Originally Posted by seenitall
Quite honestly, I don't know who messed up. We don't even know whether this was a single ticket or two tickets. If it was two tickets, maybe the poor RDU agent didn't even know about the connecting flight and it was the kid that brought this up to the EWR walker. Something of the sort, I shouldn't be going to baggage claim, I should be going to my flight to Europe. Maybe the the SK and the EW flight were boarding at contiguous gates?

As a person who works for a large organization that offers complex products, I can tell you that large organizations with complex products only work well when all of the rules are followed. You can't spitball things and hope that they will work. Failing to follow rules should have consequences for whoever messed up. I hope the FTers listening who ask for rules to be broken to allow them to get something that they desire read this thread and see how wrong that can go.
UA@RDU knew about the EWR-ARN flight.

If UA had a more practical approach to travel by capable teenagers and didn’t have in place its current fee-collecting, UAM policy, applicable for teenagers of his age, this situation wouldn’t have taken place as it did. But given the fear of lawsuits and other things, we get a policy that encourages the expensive coddling of even otherwise capable teenagers and results in problems of its own. UA has provided us a fine example of a self-servicing, revenue-enhancing policy resulting in worse customer service than would otherwise be the case without such restrictive travel policy.

For what it’s worth, Amtrak is no better in this regard. Although who knows what they charge nowadays.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 2, 2019 at 1:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.