Wiki Posts
Search

UM Placed on incorrect flight at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
UA’s policy is worse than the UA@RDU agent or even the UA UAM service provider in EWR. If it weren’t for UA’s UAM policy, the teenager would have been better off and made it to Stockholm without this drama, the UA employee at RDU wouldn’t risk being in trouble for being customer-friendly, and this incompetence of UA@EWR wouldn’t have taken place with this teenager.

Originally Posted by mduell
Rogue agent in RDU; should have just told the mother no.
The UA agent at RDU is possibly in trouble for doing the customer a favor that goes above and beyond corporate policy, but the real problem is UA’s UAM policy and UA’s UAM’s service at EWR.

A UA agent providing extraordinary service to help a customer shouldn’t be punishable, especially not when charging the regular fee for the service on behalf of UA. The problem is UA’s UAM policy and UA’s choice for lowest-price vendor for UAM service at EWR.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 2, 2019 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
UA’s policy is worse than the UA@RDU agent or even the UA UAM service provider in EWR. If it weren’t for UA’s UAM policy, the teenager would have been better off and made it to Stockholm without this drama, the UA employee at RDU wouldn’t risk being in trouble for being customer-friendly, and this incompetence of UA@EWR wouldn’t have taken place with this teenager.

The UA agent at RDU is possibly in trouble for doing the customer a favor that goes above and beyond corporate policy, but the real problem is UA’s UAM policy and UA’s UAM’s service at EWR.

A UA agent providing extraordinary service to help a customer shouldn’t be punishable, especially not when charging the regular fee for the service on behalf of UA. The problem is UA’s UAM policy and UA’s choice for lowest-price vendor for UAM service at EWR.
I disagree, when the org (UA) has said these are the limits we've planned for (taking into account all factors - cost, competitive market, safety, PR, process maturity, etc), a random agent shouldn't go "oh this kid will be fine let's violate policy today because mom couldn't be bothered to read the readily available information."
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
there's a lot more to this story than is being told here. I've tried to get my kids on UM flights with a domestic connection and was told no, a thousand times, no. Plus, this kid is supposedly smart enough to not need UM, but manages to get on the wrong plane, with the wrong airline, and doesn't realize until he's been seated? Lastly, the TweetMom (and sister[!?!] knows for certain his boarding pass was never scanned, and he received a duplicate? Huh?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Imstevek
there's a lot more to this story than is being told here.
All that is needed to know what went on is already out here.

UA@RDU agent provided extra-policy customer-friendly service for the UAM fee, and then UA’s low-cost provider of UAM service at EWR messed up things (by directing the teenager at EWR to board the wrong plane) due to UA@EWR UAM service provider not being detail-oriented enough to direct the passenger to the correct flight.

The EWR-DUS gate agent messed up too by allowing someone to board the EWR-DUS plane without the passenger’s proper boarding pass (info) for the flight being loaded and filed.

The teenager is the one who helped saved himself from being sent to Germany. And it was SAS@EWR that made things right for him. I am sure he almost certainly would have done better on his usual summer trip to his grandparents if UA policy wasn’t to collect UAM fees for 14 year olds with parental authorization to travel alone. Traveling by air alone as a 14 year old is safer and easier for some kids than taking the local subway and trains domestically.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 2, 2019 at 10:23 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

due to UA@EWR UAM service provider not being detail-oriented enough to direct the passenger to the correct flight.
Something they were not expected to do; delivering inbound pax to random foreign airlines in another terminal is completely out of scope. They should only be delivering from the UA inbound flight to the person waiting for the kid landside.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mduell
Something they were not expected to do; delivering inbound pax to random foreign airlines in another terminal is completely out of scope. They should only be delivering from the UA inbound flight to the person waiting for the kid landside.
If UA didn’t have a backward and ridiculously restrictive UAM policy and have it so as to rely upon the lowest cost vendor for UAM service, this 14-year old would have almost certainly done just fine and his family would have saved itself the $150 (?) fee.

And in the era of smartphones, of readily available internet and of audio and video connectivity on the go in the hands of most traveling teenagers, the UAM policy needs a fix more than UA@RDU agent.
drewguy and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
I think we have a photo of the incident. As of right now, I am calling it a Home Alone 2 type mishap.

Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
I think we have a photo of the incident. As of right now, I am calling it a Home Alone 2 type mishap.

That kid looks younger than 14.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Wonder if they can claim EU 261 compensation?

UA press release claims the UM fee has been refunded.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS
So...question. How is the kid going to get home? United doesn't offer the service connecting FROM another airline's flight either. I guess given the media scrutiny they'll find a way, but.

Two people were really at fault here: The mother for not understanding that it impossible to fly a child to an international destination via a connection (United or otherwise), and the agent at the origin who didn't simply reject the booking because there was no way to accommodate it. The policy requires a designated person for the child to be handed off to, presumably this was entirely missing since SAS doesn't require it.

What I also don't understand is, how is this not surfaced well before the mother gets to the airport? United has the ages of everybody who flies, so why don't they flag this earlier than check-in?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
Well, accidents happens, the kid figured it out. No harm no foul.
What about all the other pax on the Dusseldorf flight who ended up delayed 1+ hour because of the need to return to the gate? It's like all the pax on the flight where one of two brothers boarded the UA flight LA-Tokyo instead of the ANA flight, leading the plane to turn around after 2+ hours in flight.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k

All that is needed to know what went on is already out here.

I have no idea how you can make that assertion.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by villox

What I also don't understand is, how is this not surfaced well before the mother gets to the airport? United has the ages of everybody who flies, so why don't they flag this earlier than check-in?
Possibly mom booked through SAS, with the UA flight added on as part of code share (and SAS didn't prohibit booking based on UA policy). Or mom booked two separate tickets, creating appearance of no connection. FWIW, UAM is optional on SAS for 12-17. https://www.flysas.com/en/fly-with-u...panied-minors/

My guess is that the mom knows her son is more than capable of flying alone, figured UA-SAS was best routing, and found some way to evade the restrictions initially, and then UA decided to "ensure the minor's safe passage" by enforcing its policy.

I don't doubt there are 14 yo. who need UAM treatment. But I'd guess that a much larger number don't need it, and UA's policy ends up with bad outcomes like this one.

Last edited by drewguy; Jul 2, 2019 at 11:55 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
SAS policy (https://www.flysas.com/en/fly-with-u...panied-minors/) only requires UM for children under 12, and will actually let 5+ year olds fly without the service if they are traveling with someone over the age of 16 unlike UA which requires 18+. Many airlines are similar to the SAS requirements which make sense to me. UA is simply following an american mentality of CYA that these restrictions have been tightened in the past 10 or so years. UA also charges twice the amount so they definitely don't see this as a courtesy service.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SAS policy is completely irrelevant when the mother chose to book a UA flight.

UA knows they can't deliver on a more complicated UM situation, they wrote their policy to reflect what they think they can do. The agent in RDU took it upon themselves to put an out-of-policy obligation on the EWR staff; it's fine if the RDU agent wants to go above and beyond themselves, but they shouldn't be putting obligations on other stations to deliver something out of scope.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.