UM Placed on incorrect flight at EWR

Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
UA@RDU knew about the EWR-ARN flight.
And needs retraining on UA's policies and EWR's capabilities.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Maybe the grandparents in Sweden bought the plane ticket. That’s a sweet grandparent thing to do... and a great way to guarantee a visit. I can’t picture this being a “cheap” fare for anybody.
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mduell
And needs retraining on UA's policies and EWR's capabilities.
The UA@RDU agent knew the policy. Providing an exception that is customer-friendly isn’t the problem. Other airlines have managed to handle unaccompanied minor connections at EWR, UA just wants to avoid it and maximize its take on a service which it really doesn’t seem too eager to provide.

Would you be more surprised if UA at EWR hasn't ever had to do it at times too for UA-UA flights when there are IRROPs, or would you be more surprised if UA has never done it for UA-UA flights when there are IRROPs?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

For what it’s worth, Amtrak is no better in this regard. Although who knows what they charge nowadays.
True, but it's a bit easier to avoid providing your birthday when booking/using an Amtrak ticket.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended

https://m.amtrak.com/h5/r/www.amtrak...-minors-policy is Amtrak’s policy but don’t see anything about a fee. Did I miss it? Its policy would work no better for this teenager to get off at EWR and switch modes to a non-stop flight.

Originally Posted by drewguy
What's odd is that he figured it out after boarding, at least according to the story he alerted FAs he was on the wrong flight.

Seems like another "I got on the wrong plane" types of stories, with the UM twist. How did the gate agents allow him on the flight, and did his assigned seat on the SAS flight just happen to be empty on the Eurowings flight? One would thing, especially with heavy Europe loads over the summer, you'd have a seat squabble before pulling back from the gate.
He did have a seat problem on the plane, but decided to settle in the nearby empty seat on the plane. I have done the same thing at times even upon instruction of FAs and GAs despite raising the issue about the seat assignment mess-up.

Airlines often have FAs do a passenger headcount; but the accuracy of the count is obviously not always there, as this isn’t the first time a passenger has been on a plane onto which they were not with their own proper boarding pass.

FWIW, ARN-NYC-ARN has been cheap this summer. Much cheaper than NYC-ARN-NYC. I was seeing sub-$450 prices for this time of the year if originating in ARN. But closer to double the price to travel on tickets originating in NYC.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 2, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The UA@RDU agent knew the policy. Providing an exception that is customer-friendly isn’t the problem.
It absolutely is when the person making the exception isn't the one delivering on it.

UA has already figured out they're not achieving this exception, and prohibited it.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mduell
It absolutely is when the person making the exception isn't the one delivering on it.

UA has already figured out they're not achieving this exception, and prohibited it.
UA has achieved this exception previously at EWR. I suspect they still will achieve it at times of some IRROPs — unless and until UA try to further kill off unaccompanied minor service more than they already have.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K

SAS didn’t put him on the wrong plane. It was the UAM service which did.

Eurowings, aka Lufthansa group, allowed him to board their plane. Probably the single biggest mistake of all the comedy of errors that allowed this to happen.
FTLexMUC, onthesam and drewguy like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA has achieved this exception previously at EWR. I suspect they still will achieve it at times of some IRROPs — unless and until UA try to further kill off unaccompanied minor service more than they already have.
UA has restricted unaccompanied minors to nonstop flights since 2014 or thereabouts. As I recall, a child got stranded in Chicago when trying to connect to the last flight of the day.

This isn't about UA trying to bleed parents for an extra few dollars. It's UA trying to get out of the business of handling unaccompanied minor travel without the bad publicity of actually banning it.

Stories like today's are the reason why.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA has restricted unaccompanied minors to nonstop flights since 2014 or thereabouts. As I recall, a child got stranded in Chicago when trying to connect to the last flight of the day.

This isn't about UA trying to bleed parents for an extra few dollars. It's UA trying to get out of the business of handling unaccompanied minor travel without the bad publicity of actually banning it.

“I suspect they still will achieve it at times of some IRROPs — unless and until UA try to further kill off unaccompanied minor service more than they already have.” Words I used for a reason.

Is UA even willing to further kill off unaccompanied minor service by way of a new and even more restrictive UAM policy? At some point, common carriers face risk of being mandated to provide some services which they may otherwise want to avoid, if they aren’t already required to do so.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Eurowings, aka Lufthansa group, allowed him to board their plane. Probably the single biggest mistake of all the comedy of errors that allowed this to happen.
The article said it happened because the same third-party contractor was boarding both flights at the same time from gates next to each other. Odd because I have never seen that situation.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by villox
The article said it happened because the same third-party contractor was boarding both flights at the same time from gates next to each other. Odd because I have never seen that situation.
SAS and LH/Eurowings did cut back on providing their own ground service in the US when it came to check-in and gate agents. At least for SAS, it’s been almost entirely outsourced (IIRC) for some years now. And at EWR, they used to be co-located or nearly so.

The gates could be rather close to each other, and announcements for missing passengers or last call from one gate could he heard by people at neighboring gates causing confusion about where and to whom to respond.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jsloan

Though as it turns out if UA didn't have this UAM policy, if the fiasco had happened it would have been laid at the feet of Eurowings and/or SAS.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drewguy
Though as it turns out if UA didn't have this UAM policy, if the fiasco had happened it would have been laid at the feet of Eurowings and/or SAS.
Indeed it would then land on the feet of LH’s Eurowings — which LH is killing off.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
GUWonder: You seem to be very sure of exactly what the facts are, e.g., UA-RDU knew about the the EWR connection to ARN, it was one ticket, UA at EWR took the kid to the wrong gate, etc. Could you cite any independent news source verifying all of this. All I see referenced in the several news stories presented in this thread is the Mom's tweets. I would be more comfortable with some further confirmation that the Mom's tweets (made from long distance) are completely accurate.
chavala likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.