Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PN vs PZ -- Why such a difference?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pregabalin
I recently experienced this too. I had a GPU applied to EWR -> PVG and it cleared today. Flight is showing today (and yesterday before I was upgraded): J9 JN9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P0 PN0 PZ0.
When is your flight? I have the same fares showing for one of my flights later this week out of PVG with Polaris booked 32/48.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
What would great to see (and we will likely never see it) would be a separate bucket for 1K to clear UG's into. Having EVERY passenger except GS clear into the PZ bucket is insane. There is no differentiation between 1K through Silver. Based on that, it makes perfect sense that PZ is rarely available. If UA really wants to recognize 1K's, give them a bucket that actually has some ability to use a GPU some time other than Wednesday at 6 a.m. in the dead of winter to Alaska
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
What would great to see (and we will likely never see it) would be a separate bucket for 1K to clear UG's into. Having EVERY passenger except GS clear into the PZ bucket is insane. There is no differentiation between 1K through Silver. Based on that, it makes perfect sense that PZ is rarely available. If UA really wants to recognize 1K's, give them a bucket that actually has some ability to use a GPU some time other than Wednesday at 6 a.m. in the dead of winter to Alaska
I suspect the number of non-1Ks using PZ is extremely small. Only 1Ks (and GS) get GPUs. Anyone else would have to be using a mileage plus award with copay and I just don’t think it’s happening that often.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by villox

I suspect the number of non-1Ks using PZ is extremely small. Only 1Ks (and GS) get GPUs. Anyone else would have to be using a mileage plus award with copay and I just don’t think it’s happening that often.
It's all just a guess on our part since we don't have visibility behind the curtain. However, other than for GS, every mileage upgrade + co-pay clears into PZ. That's not an insignificant volume. The point is, UA keeps that bucket exceedingly tight so those UG's don't clear early and they can monetize the cabin.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's all just a guess on our part since we don't have visibility behind the curtain. However, other than for GS, every mileage upgrade + co-pay clears into PZ. That's not an insignificant volume. The point is, UA keeps that bucket exceedingly tight so those UG's don't clear early and they can monetize the cabin.
Not only monetize the cabin, but also upgrade higher level elites.

As a lowly Gold, I would love it if they would open up lots of PZ space. I could confirm miles + copay upgrades ahead of higher level elites by buying before them. But 1Ks would see fewer upgrades, not more.

Considering the large gap in spend requirement between lower level elites and 1k, I think they really do deserve their own bucket to clear into.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by halls120
If I want to go to Germany in the Fall, loads of coach availability at 30K per person each way.
But if I want to go from Washington metro area to Germany in the fall, I see loads of coach tickets priced in the low 500s. After you account for award fees, you’re only getting ~0.8 cpm — already lower than the 1 cpm threshold at which nobody in their right mind would choose to earn miles over cash.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by milypan

But if I want to go from Washington metro area to Germany in the fall, I see loads of coach tickets priced in the low 500s. After you account for award fees, you’re only getting ~0.8 cpm — already lower than the 1 cpm threshold at which nobody in their right mind would choose to earn miles over cash.
Sure you would, if you need any flexibility in your travel as award tickets for 1Ks or GS are basically fully flexible.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Agreed. I respect and appreciate UA's desire for revenue maximization. That said, UA should appreciate that there is value in 1Ks having some certainty when it comes to upgrades. The 1K upgrade inventory can be a fraction of GS upgrade inventory, but it should be visible via a fare class.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by milypan
If you are an elite, I agree. Do you think the average kettle pays any attention to the details we discuss here? I don't. And if they do care, they applied for a credit card that gave them 50000 free miles for merely using it on things they'd normally buy, right? So maybe the extra 20000 miles they need for the trip are not such a good deal, but are they going to care? Not immediately, IMHO. Maybe once they consider the long term they will see how UA is taking advantage of them, but I doubt it.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryman554
You want to give your attention to high volume and high yield (GS.and top 1k), and ignore low volume and low yield​​
That’s the problem with the airline industry, though. You simply can’t afford to run your business like this. UA absolutely needs seat fillers. If you work out their annual profit and compare it to the number of flights that they run, it’s, what, maybe $1000 per flight? Probably less. As much as some people on this board like to complain about “Kettles,” UA can’t survive catering only to high-level elites. They simply couldn’t make money with planes that were only 10% full. Low volume, low yield passengers are individually unprofitable, but collectively they can make the difference between a profit and a loss.

Having EVERY passenger except GS clear into the PZ bucket is insane. There is no differentiation between 1K through Silver. Based on that, it makes perfect sense that PZ is rarely available.
I think the main effect that would have would be to mean that 1K GPUs are only particularly valuable when on the same reservation as the 1K. I don’t think it’s “insane” to use the same bucket for everybody when the vast majority of requests for PZ space come from 1Ks.

Originally Posted by villox
Exactly.

However, other than for GS, every mileage upgrade + co-pay clears into PZ. That's not an insignificant volume.
I really do think it is an insignificant volume. Mileage + co-pay offers are relatively expensive and still require a whole lot of miles — miles that somebody who’s a lower-level elite is only getting from credit card spending.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
As a lowly Gold, I would love it if they would open up lots of PZ space. I could confirm miles + copay upgrades ahead of higher level elites by buying before them. But 1Ks would see fewer upgrades, not more.
If you did that enough to have much of an effect on 1K clearance, soon you’d be a 1K yourself.

Besides, given the choice, I suspect UA would rather have your business than mine. Mileage + co-pay awards mean you’re spending much more money on your flight than I likely am on my W or R fare — plus, you’re depleting your MileagePlus balance, which helps their balance sheet as well. If they’re really lucky, they may be able to sell you the very miles you’re using to upgrade your flight.
villox likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by jsloan

That’s the problem with the airline industry, though. You simply can’t afford to run your business like this. UA absolutely needs seat fillers. If you work out their annual profit and compare it to the number of flights that they run, it’s, what, maybe $1000 per flight? Probably less. As much as some people on this board like to complain about “Kettles,” UA can’t survive catering only to high-level elites. They simply couldn’t make money with planes that were only 10% full. Low volume, low yield passengers are individually unprofitable, but collectively they can make the difference between a profit and a loss.
Oh, I 100% agree, and did not mean to imply otherwise. I fully understand that loss-leaders are significantly better than empty seats for airlines.

I still stand behind UA giving the middle finger to the low volume and low yield market simply because there are so many of them chasing seats based only on price, they become fungible. There is no incentive to treat them well... and the state of the economy cabin, check-in experience, off-shore call centers, bag fees, existence of BE fares, I think all points to a desire to see how low the "bare minimum" really is before they no longer fill their seats.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Having EVERY passenger except GS clear into the PZ bucket is insane. There is no differentiation between 1K through Silver.
While I'd probably agree with you and others upthread that having all non-GS clear into the same bucket is objectively insane, relatively speaking it's not that insane. AA uses the one bucket (C) for *all* instrument-supported upgrades, including those by its CK members (equivalent to GS).
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Sure you would, if you need any flexibility in your travel as award tickets for 1Ks or GS are basically fully flexible.
The discussion was about the value of miles to "kettles".

Originally Posted by halls120
If you are an elite, I agree. Do you think the average kettle pays any attention to the details we discuss here? I don't. And if they do care, they applied for a credit card that gave them 50000 free miles for merely using it on things they'd normally buy, right? So maybe the extra 20000 miles they need for the trip are not such a good deal, but are they going to care? Not immediately, IMHO. Maybe once they consider the long term they will see how UA is taking advantage of them, but I doubt it.
Maybe. But I'm not sure people are as stupid as that. Certainly consumers pay close attention to price when booking tickets — nobody today doubts that — so basing a business on the assumption that they'll never look at the conversion rate between miles and dollars seems risky in the long run.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So think we will see more GPUs processing whilst Expert mode shows PZ=0, at least I hope so.
I had a suspicion this is what was happening on a flight I was watching for weeks. I don't like this as I want to confirm PZ at booking rather than hope I magically clear within 24 hours while I can still change/cancel the ticket. I have great success using GPUs because I only use them when I can confirm at booking (getting creative with routing and +/- 1 day of desired travel). The only way this is helpful is if UA is slightly more generous with the number of upgrade space they make available.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I don't take issue with the pecking order. Rather I take issue with providing a benefit that cannot easily be used by many of us, particularly at hubs like SFO.

For example I maybe take 1 transcon a year with Mrs. B. Or one trip to Hawaii from the West Coast. I would like to upgrade that flight, preferably both directions. There are dozens of flights from which to choose and I tend to buy the tickets months in advance of travel. Giving me RPUs and GPUs that I cannot use on these flights (0% clearance over past several years) makes them almost worthless to me and in fact is worse than the old system where (as 2P) I could buy stickers or coupons to upgrade my flights. And did so with ease. In fact I would gladly pay $200 to do so but that option isn't offered when I buy my tickets - it's either $400RT for discount E+ or $1600RT for F, Even non-elites have a better shot at TOD cash upgrades than high level elites with RPU/GPU.

So yes I get that UA wants to sell the seats. And if UA can't sell the seats then it wants to give them free to GS before anyone else. But if the result is that GPUs/RPUs can't be used by the rest of us except by rolling the dice then why award them at all? Giving something that is useless does not engender loyalty and is worse than giving nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.