Wiki Posts
Search

PN vs PZ -- Why such a difference?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmhua777
I am a GS and I can tell you that I don’t see a lot of flights with PN that don’t also have PZ...
You're talking about United? I'd say easily >90% of the flights that I see PN>0 have zero PZ.

It’s the reason I’m always thinking “I wish I were GS” when I see the fare bucket results when I’m looking for upgrades.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 5, 2019 at 4:19 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You're talking about United? I'd say easily >90% of the flights that I see PN>0 have zero PZ.

It’s the reason I’m always thinking “I wish I were GS” when I see the fare bucket results when I’m looking for upgrades.
+1. I dropped to 1K last year after 8 years of GS. For the last 18 months I can count on 1 hand the number of flights with PZ >0, while I almost always see PN >0 on those same flights.

During those 8 years as a GS, I had some flight flexibility and virtually never booked a flight unless there was available PN space and always used up my 6-12 GPU's. In 18 months as a 1K, I've had MORE flexibility and yet have not been able to clear even 1 UG at booking. I've played and lost the UG lottery while watching a virtually empty J cabin fill up at T-72 and die on the UG list. Again, on virtually all those flights there was PN space from the time I booked up to departure.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by ekwang

I will make 1K on my return flight from LHR on 12/29 in a Z class fare. I will have spent $20k this year on airfare. I don’t think that makes an unprofitable customer.
maybe not unprofitable. But possibly expendable especially when UA figures (or dares) you to leave for something better (which there probably isn’t). But for sure (in UA’s biz decisions) not justifiable in going out of their way in giving away something that they can monetize. Risk/ reward has most likely been assessed and the lines are drawn. I’m also not trying to piss anyone off. But these are cold hard facts as I believe UA to see them.

my biggest benefit of a GS are automatic family member upgrades using instruments. Biz travel is almost always paid J. But personal travel with wife and little ones I’m always looking to sit up front for the least cost.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Interesting development. My SFO-BOS flight just decremented from PN7/PZ0 to PN6/PZ0 and I was upgraded as a 1K with an RPU applied! I checked every day, since booking 5 days ago, and no PZ space ever popped up. So the folks above who speculated that UA has introduced some process (manual or automated) to upgrade 1Ks without formally opening PZ slots may be right. Why are they doing this? To keep the Platinum and mileage users from jumping on the PZ space?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
... So the folks above who speculated that UA has introduced some process (manual or automated) to upgrade 1Ks without formally opening PZ slots may be right. Why are they doing this? To keep the Platinum and mileage users from jumping on the PZ space?
That has been myassumption over the years UA has been doing this. Just don't know when this is done.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting development. My SFO-BOS flight just decremented from PN7/PZ0 to PN6/PZ0 and I was upgraded as a 1K with an RPU applied! I checked every day, since booking 5 days ago, and no PZ space ever popped up. So the folks above who speculated that UA has introduced some process (manual or automated) to upgrade 1Ks without formally opening PZ slots may be right. Why are they doing this? To keep the Platinum and mileage users from jumping on the PZ space?
I think you’re over-engineering an explanation. There’s a time lag (minutes? hours?) between allocation of PZ space and an upgrade sweep. You probably missed that interval (you aren’t watching it every minute or hour, are you?). This interval is exactly why people on a waitlist see PZ space and call in to get pushed.

Unless you were watching it every minute during last couple of days, you can hardly state as a fact that UA decided you were special.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the way waitlisted upgrades are supposed to work. There should never be PN,PZ>0 if anyone is on the waitlist for whichever.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by saccoNY

maybe not unprofitable. But possibly expendable especially when UA figures (or dares) you to leave for something better (which there probably isn’t). But for sure (in UA’s biz decisions) not justifiable in going out of their way in giving away something that they can monetize. Risk/ reward has most likely been assessed and the lines are drawn. I’m also not trying to piss anyone off. But these are cold hard facts as I believe UA to see them.

Dunno, $200k over 100k BIS miles for the year (this poster said they were passing that milestone on 12/29) -> 20c/mile. While not GS-level (typically), this person is well above the 15c/mile "average" revenue, and likely well above the median revenue, which should skew much lower. (As an example: compare average and median incomes for households across the USA. Likewise, GS will skew the 15c/mile average much higher than the median).

So, while I don't fault the idea behind your analysis, this particular flyer is definitely in the second quartile, and perhaps even the first in terms of profitability and probably has a reason to grumble. UA should really think hard about alienating that kind of customer, because they are *not* fungible with the average customer out there.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by gldwebs
Am I the only one here that recognizes UA is a business? I dont know many businesses that make money by creating a better product and constantly giving it away.
This is off-topic, but have you ever heard of tech? I understand there are a few businesses in that industry.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Even if they checked two bags, and I highly doubt the ones I've overheard were "justifying their decision ex post", they were very aware of the value in the upgrade vs the checked bag fee and felt they broke even on cost. The only winner here was the Kettle, certainly not UA's elite frequent fliers, and certainly not UA.
One or two bag fees is still far less than two TODs, even cheap TODs. It sounds like UA made extra revenue, you’ve continued to concentrate your flying on them, and the “kettles” might be more likely to fly them in the future. How did UA lose here?

Honestly the real risk UA faces with limited availability of certain buckets is not with the elites, who are typically captive of whatever airline has a nearby hub, but with the kettles themselves. It’s only a modest exaggeration to say that the US3 are basically credit card companies that run an air transport side operation. But if they continue to devalue miles until the typical redemption value falls below 1 cpm, and if the average consumer figures that out, then that business could fall apart pretty quickly. Can they resist the urge to engage in ever increasing amounts of seigniorage with their miles?

Originally Posted by s0ssos
This is off-topic, but have you ever heard of tech? I understand there are a few businesses in that industry.
For those companies the product is the data and attention of their users. Believe me, they are not giving it away for free.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

I think you’re over-engineering an explanation. There’s a time lag (minutes? hours?) between allocation of PZ space and an upgrade sweep. You probably missed that interval (you aren’t watching it every minute or hour, are you?). This interval is exactly why people on a waitlist see PZ space and call in to get pushed.

Unless you were watching it every minute during last couple of days, you can hardly state as a fact that UA decided you were special.
Well admittedly this is one isolated incident, but May 29 I I upfared from L to R from CDG-FRA-SAN to CDG-IAD-SAN for July 4. I was looking at expert mode for all CDG- various US hubs and there was not one PZ fare code >0. The 1K desk upfared me and I asked them to apply a GPU agreeing I understood I would be waitlisted for Polaris (from PP) so the CS agent was also not seeing PZ>0. As soon as the CS rep applied the GPU the upgrade confirmed.

It may have been coincidence it was released just as the GPU was applied but I believe it is more likely United has fixed the issue of folks jumping the queue when there is the waitlist. I suspect it was part of the recent enhancements and I for one am very happy if this is now the case. (I also reported at the time that the upgrade got stuck in that the CS rep could not select a seat but a call to someone got it fixed - my best guess was the fare code got stuck at L especially after the snafu with the crediting of the miles after the flight with the IRROPS but different IT issue which got resolved).

So think we will see more GPUs processing whilst Expert mode shows PZ=0, at least I hope so. It has me now thinking of spending the extra PQD to make 1K for 2020 and as recently as April was saying was not going to do that but a couple of recent P fares (which have now disappeared again) and my GPU success rate suddenly increasing I may now spend the gap for the PQD.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by milypan
Honestly the real risk UA faces with limited availability of certain buckets is not with the elites, who are typically captive of whatever airline has a nearby hub, but with the kettles themselves. It’s only a modest exaggeration to say that the US3 are basically credit card companies that run an air transport side operation. But if they continue to devalue miles until the typical redemption value falls below 1 cpm, and if the average consumer figures that out, then that business could fall apart pretty quickly. Can they resist the urge to engage in ever increasing amounts of seigniorage with their miles?
I'm not sure I agree. Right now, if I want to head south to the Caribbean in coach from IAD, there are many opportunities at 17.5K miles each way per person. If we want to go to HNL, it's 22.5K pp each way. In October 2019 and in January 2020. Yes, that's more than it used to be, but when you look at from cabin availability, that's where UA is definitely gouging its elites. In First, however, there is exactly one day with saver First available between today and the end of January 2020 - next Sunday, and that is only a mixed cabin award. If I want to go to Germany in the Fall, loads of coach availability at 30K per person each way. Want to go front cabin? Unless you can find the few partner airline saver redemptions, you're looking at 155K miles each way per person.

I've gotten the message from UA. I've dropped my UA Club Card, and will not be replacing it with a UA branded card. I'm burning my UA miles as fast as I can, and from this point forward, will accumulate miles on my Amex platinum and Chase Sapphire cards. I don't think the average kettle looks for front cabin redemptions, and as long as UA provides decent availability in Y for the once a year vacation crowd, they will probably be OK.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by ryman554
Dunno, $200k over 100k BIS miles for the year (this poster said they were passing that milestone on 12/29) -> 20c/mile. While not GS-level (typically), this person is well above the 15c/mile "average" revenue, and likely well above the median revenue, which should skew much lower. (As an example: compare average and median incomes for households across the USA. Likewise, GS will skew the 15c/mile average much higher than the median).

So, while I don't fault the idea behind your analysis, this particular flyer is definitely in the second quartile, and perhaps even the first in terms of profitability and probably has a reason to grumble. UA should really think hard about alienating that kind of customer, because they are *not* fungible with the average customer out there.

i think you meant to say $20k and 100BIS? Cause $200k is a pretty different argument regardless of c/mile. $15k is the lowest 1K threshold. Meaning $14,950 doesn’t cut it. $20k isn’t so much above “average”. My point was that UA would rather (as other posts have stated) would rather ensure availability for its true Major leaguers and take their chances with bench players aka 1Ks. Chances are alienating them enough to change their spending habits— which I have to believe that UA (and probably every legacy carrier) has done extensive analysis — and concluded the marginal benefit of providing more “free giveaway” inventory too early in the cycle gives less benefit than the risk of having this 1K or any other giving their business to a competitor. Or maybe more importantly, yet, not realizing incremental income by creating revenue by upsell etc. Remembering the option to upgrade any eilte exists up until the time the door actually closes at the gate. But giving that inventory away too early virtually eliminates the opportunity to monetize the inventory
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Yeah 20k,.not 200k... Oops! (If there is. $200k 1k, they really should complain!)

20k vs 15k is not "just a little above average".

And, regardless,.it's the MEDIAN that we should be looking at due to the asymmetric distribution.

Really, nobody is going to fault UA for trying to reward their most profitable customers. The problem is that they are using PQD as the proxy... Which is important for top line,.but not bottom line.

You want to give your attention to high volume and high yield (GS.and top 1k), and ignore low volume and low yield (GM,.maybe called loss leaders).

The conundrum is what to do with high yield, low volume (the silver with 10k PQD) and low yield high volume (typical 1k, but probably also plat and gold)

The former is done by elevating status. The latter is by ??? They are NOT fungible with the others,.but perhaps small enough impact to top line revenue due to Sheer volume of GM vs 1k.

It is further hamstung.by the fact that the 1k who is a GS lite (say $30k in revenue on 100k pqm) is limped with the 1k who squeaks.by at 15k.on 300k pqm. Perversely, it is the latter which is incentivized and not the former under the current system. Either your GS lite gives up and does something else, or doubles down to achieve GS.

I'm not sure UA is looking at second order effects like this, which is what this thead is about.

​​​

​​​​​​

​​
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Well admittedly this is one isolated incident, but May 29 I I upfared from L to R from CDG-FRA-SAN to CDG-IAD-SAN for July 4. I was looking at expert mode for all CDG- various US hubs and there was not one PZ fare code >0. The 1K desk upfared me and I asked them to apply a GPU agreeing I understood I would be waitlisted for Polaris (from PP) so the CS agent was also not seeing PZ>0. As soon as the CS rep applied the GPU the upgrade confirmed.

It may have been coincidence it was released just as the GPU was applied but I believe it is more likely United has fixed the issue of folks jumping the queue when there is the waitlist. I suspect it was part of the recent enhancements and I for one am very happy if this is now the case. (I also reported at the time that the upgrade got stuck in that the CS rep could not select a seat but a call to someone got it fixed - my best guess was the fare code got stuck at L especially after the snafu with the crediting of the miles after the flight with the IRROPS but different IT issue which got resolved).

So think we will see more GPUs processing whilst Expert mode shows PZ=0, at least I hope so. It has me now thinking of spending the extra PQD to make 1K for 2020 and as recently as April was saying was not going to do that but a couple of recent P fares (which have now disappeared again) and my GPU success rate suddenly increasing I may now spend the gap for the PQD.
I recently experienced this too. I had a GPU applied to EWR -> PVG and it cleared today. Flight is showing today (and yesterday before I was upgraded): J9 JN9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P0 PN0 PZ0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.