PN vs PZ -- Why such a difference?

Old Jul 8, 19, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
When is your flight? I have the same fares showing for one of my flights later this week out of PVG with Polaris booked 32/48.
7/18 EWR->PVG. Booked 35/50
Old Jul 8, 19, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
So yes I get that UA wants to sell the seats. And if UA can't sell the seats then it wants to give them free to GS before anyone else. But if the result is that GPUs/RPUs can't be used by the rest of us except by rolling the dice then why award them at all? Giving something that is useless does not engender loyalty and is worse than giving nothing.
I fully understand, and don't resent UA for wanting to sell their seats. What pushed me to the competition is UA's practice of giving non-elites lucrative upgrade offers and not extending the same offers to those of us who actually demonstrated loyalty. But I get it, Oscar, you want to create new elites. But in doing so, a majority of my long haul flights are now on LH, BA, KL, SK, and OS because their upgrade playing field is level.
Boraxo and nomad420 like this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pregabalin View Post
7/18 EWR->PVG. Booked 35/50
No such luck yet for us. 7/11 PVG-ORD, now booked 33/50 as the plane got switched to a Polarized one. It's still J9 C9 D9 Z9 P0 PN0 PZ0.
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
I fully understand, and don't resent UA for wanting to sell their seats. What pushed me to the competition is UA's practice of giving non-elites lucrative upgrade offers and not extending the same offers to those of us who actually demonstrated loyalty. But I get it, Oscar, you want to create new elites. But in doing so, a majority of my long haul flights are now on LH, BA, KL, SK, and OS because their upgrade playing field is level.
What I now notice is when I have an instrument in play I don't get the TOD offer and more recently the instruments haven't cleared. Given this I wish that UA would at least make me the same TOD offer they are sending out to others so I can at least have the option of buying up and securing an upgraded seat.
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
What I now notice is when I have an instrument in play I don't get the TOD offer and more recently the instruments haven't cleared. Given this I wish that UA would at least make me the same TOD offer they are sending out to others so I can at least have the option of buying up and securing an upgraded seat.
Absolutely this. It is infuriating to watch buyups step in front of you while you are waitlisting an instrument, receiving no similar offer, and dying at #1 on the list.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:46 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
Would be nice if they at least gave 1Ks the option to purchase a higher fare that could unlock the PN inventory.
Agreed, and I mean for international fares. So if a 1k bought a Y or B international fare, they can unlock the PN inventory. Its a small change and will help distinguish the top published tier with the others.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
Agreed, and I mean for international fares. So if a 1k bought a Y or B international fare, they can unlock the PN inventory. Its a small change and will help distinguish the top published tier with the others.
Why are you upgrading from a Y/B fare? Isn't is usually much cheaper to buy the business fare at that price point? If it's not, then you typically aren't going to find PN > 0, either.

And if you buy a Y/B fare, then there isn't a 1k in front of you (I can almost guarantee that), and if PN > 0, there are no GS in front of you, so who, exactly, is going to be ahead of you in the UG queue such that PN > 0 is going to materially affect things, other than seat assignments for those that actually buy J?

And then what about PE? Those are ahead of all economy fares, so do you want the (admittedly more expensive) Y/B fare to trump those in A/R? If so, then you run down into the slippery slope where he who buys the more expensive ticket should get the upgrade....
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tromer View Post
Absolutely this. It is infuriating to watch buyups step in front of you while you are waitlisting an instrument, receiving no similar offer, and dying at #1 on the list.
This just happened to me Sunday. Instrument upgrade in play for 2 months on CLE-SFO run, #1 on the list since check-in T24, F went from 18/20 to full. Now I can't swear the last two seats went to TOD but that is what I suspect (I know there are multiple other possibilities) . Had I had the opportunity to purchase the upgrade at a REASONABLE rate I probably would have jumped on it as I was dead tired and wanted to get some rest on the flight.
Old Jul 9, 19, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
I can upgrade any customer on a full fare coach ticket on most airlines, but there is no priority for opening space on any airline - if the upgrade space is there, we can get it, if not, there is no waitlist option or backdoor. No airline is going open up upgrade space for free just because someone bought full fare coach. On top of this, P or Z are often cheaper than Y, so it rarely makes sense to do this except where someone can buy P/Z in one direction and because P/Z are sold out in the other direction, but upgrade space exists, we will sell coach in the other direction and apply the upgrade - saving the customer a lot of money vs buying P/Z+D/J on the way back.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 2:07 pm

This just happened to me Sunday. Instrument upgrade in play for 2 months on CLE-SFO run, #1 on the list since check-in T24, F went from 18/20 to full. Now I can't swear the last two seats went to TOD but that is what I suspect (I know there are multiple other possibilities) . Had I had the opportunity to purchase the upgrade at a REASONABLE rate I probably would have jumped on it as I was dead tired and wanted to get some rest on the flight.
Yes; the pain is in losing optionality. It's constant modeling whether to apply a certificate or withhold and hope for a TOD. I should also point out that, like you, I am well aware there are many times I legitimately lose, and other times where I probably wouldn't take the bait even if there were an offer. I just want to see them. And, in a fantasy world, have a discount schedule applied to them based on RPU/GPU/status, but we know that will never happen.
Old Jul 10, 19, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had I had the opportunity to purchase the upgrade at a REASONABLE rate I probably would have jumped on it as I was dead tired and wanted to get some rest on the flight.
You always have the option to purchase an upgrade. Do you really think UA would rather have to upgrade you for the cost of a certificate? Call UA and ask them what the cost to upgrade is, or call web support directly, tell them that you're not seeing an upgrade offer on your flight, and ask if one is available.
Old Jul 10, 19, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
You always have the option to purchase an upgrade. Do you really think UA would rather have to upgrade you for the cost of a certificate? Call UA and ask them what the cost to upgrade is, or call web support directly, tell them that you're not seeing an upgrade offer on your flight, and ask if one is available.
Sometimes you do really dislike the offer you get. For my PVG-ORD flight, I had a really nice offer of $4,153....... For no reason, my wife got a cheaper deal: $4,065......... That was when Polaris Business was only sold 33/50 at check-in time.....The upgrade cleared at T-23.

And it's still J9 C9 D9 Z9 P0 PN0 PZ0.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jul 10, 19 at 6:35 am
Old Jul 10, 19, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes you do really dislike the offer you get. For my PVG-ORD flight, I had a really nice offer of $4,153....... For no reason, my wife got a cheaper deal: $4,065......... That was when Polaris Business was only sold 33/50 at check-in time.....The upgrade cleared at T-23.
In those cases, though, I don't think anybody was going to snipe your upgrade. On SFO-CLE, it might be worth calling to ask.
Old Jul 10, 19, 9:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

And it's still J9 C9 D9 Z9 P0 PN0 PZ0.
Someone at UA holds those seats for nonrevs. I noticed that both PVG-ORD and PEK-ORD have a lot of J seats available at checkin time. This is less true for other routes originating from either PVG or PEK.
Old Jul 10, 19, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I realize this but usually I am riding the instrument at least to check in at T24 and often a call isn't convenient and also I have found at times more expensive than the online TOD offers. Maybe it is just me but I would just like to see the TOD at check in and see if I want to jump on it. It could be a win win situation. The pax pays what he believes is a reasonable up-change and pockets his instruments and UA, to your point, sells the seat rather than "gives it away".

Search this Thread