Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA changed my routing without my consent

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
UA changed my routing without my consent

I just bought a ticket this morning XXX-YYY-ZZZ-UUU for travel tomorrow. I randomly got a receipt showing XXX-YYY-UUU. I purposely wanted the routing I booked, and all flights available. Any recourse?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ryan754
I just bought a ticket this morning XXX-YYY-ZZZ-UUU for travel tomorrow. I randomly got a receipt showing XXX-YYY-UUU. I purposely wanted the routing I booked, and all flights available. Any recourse?
What did the customer service rep say when you called United?

I mean, you *did* call the airline and ask, right?
jerseytom likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
is YYY-ZZZ-UUU all operated by the same flight number? If so, it will show separately on the reservation, but together on the flight receipt (since it will only use one ticket coupon)
trooper likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What is showing on your actual booking vs the receipt?

Have you called reservations and demanded your original routing me restored? Or you can demand a refund and start over with a new ticket.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Any recourse?
If after the above suggestions, you can cancel within 24 hours at no cost.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
What did the customer service rep say when you called United?

I mean, you *did* call the airline and ask, right?
Of course I'll call the 1K desk! I just posted here to see if this has happened before. I've flown millions of miles and never seen this. Wondering if I can get some little leeway with this as I planned to use SDC and spend some time in one of the cities..

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
is YYY-ZZZ-UUU all operated by the same flight number? If so, it will show separately on the reservation, but together on the flight receipt (since it will only use one ticket coupon)

Nope completely different flight with longer layover.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Call and ask them to put you back on those flights.

David
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Wondering if I can get some little leeway with this as I planned to use SDC and spend some time in one of the cities.
Never count on that. United is only obligated to get you from point A to point B.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Never count on that. United is only obligated to get you from point A to point B.
Is that true if you get a stopover in the reservation? I guess, if so, the stopover is point C.

But when is a stopover a stopover? When there is a fare break? Or is there some other consideration?

<note, not the OP here, our names just look alike>
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ryman554
But when is a stopover a stopover? When there is a fare break? Or is there some other consideration? ....
Simple answer.
For a domestic itn, greater than 4-hour break.
For an international itin greater than a 24 hour break

UA's answer
Stopover means a deliberate interruption of travel by the Passenger, agreed to in advance by the carrier, at a point between the place of departure and the place of destination. For International flights a Stopover will also be deemed to occur at an intermediate point from which the Passenger is not scheduled to depart on the date of arrival, but if there is no connecting departure scheduled on the date of arrival, departure on the next day within 24 hours of arrival shall not constitute a Stopover. If a portion of the routing is traveled by surface transportation, one Stopover shall be deemed to have been taken for such portion.
For Domestic flights, a Stopover will also occur when a Passenger arrives at a point and fails to depart from such point on:
  1. The first flight on which space is available; or
  2. The flight that will provide for the Passenger’s earliest arrival at intermediate or junction transfer point(s) or destination point, via the carrier and class of service as shown on the Passenger’s Ticket; provided, however, that in no event will a Stopover occur when the Passenger departs from the intermediate/junction point on a flight shown in the carrier’s official general schedule as departing within four hours after arrival at such point.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Providing city pairings may help. One of the cities you booked may have been dropped.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Welllllllll... I feel like the biggest idiot today! Maybe the sun and Jack Daniels... I did happen to purchase a ticket that has a DEN-SFO-SEA segment as one flight number. I was completely wrong and apologize.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welllllllll... I feel like the biggest idiot today! Maybe the sun and Jack Daniels... I did happen to purchase a ticket that has a DEN-SFO-SEA segment as one flight number. I was completely wrong and apologize.
Note that you may find it very difficult to SDC at SFO.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Note that you may find it very difficult to SDC at SFO.
Almost impossible actually. The agent would need to mark your DEN-SEA segment as unflown, and then reissue the ticket. The only way an agent will agree to that is IRROPS. I've tried a few times and it has never worked out.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Almost impossible actually. The agent would need to mark your DEN-SEA segment as unflown, and then reissue the ticket. The only way an agent will agree to that is IRROPS. I've tried a few times and it has never worked out.
Well OP could ask an agent to force split the reservation but they probably won't do it. This itinerary priced out reasonably because UA views it as a single-connect but once split, it will be a double connect. Very different inventory!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.