Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“Systemwide baggage problem” at SFO leaving planes without gates

Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum

Currently stuck on the tarmac at SFO due to a “systemwide baggage issue” that is apparently leaving lots of planes without gates.

Anyone know what this is about?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcrw00
Currently stuck on the tarmac at SFO due to a “systemwide baggage issue” that is apparently leaving lots of planes without gates.

Two more data points, but no real explanation...
On June 10, my international flight was delayed taking off for two hours, due to what the captain described as a "broken baggage conveyor".
On the return flight, June 20, we stood on the tarmac for 25 minutes because the plane occupying the assigned slot was late leaving "due to problems loading baggage."
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Had some unexplained delays last week as well - waited a half hour for a gate on an international arrival. Glad to be using OAK for the rest of July (and no more checked bag)
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM

Apparently SFO is having some issue with baggage screening - thats what was announced to a friend I dropped off today. Therefore, bags for is 8:15 am SFO-EWR flight were delayed in loading. It finally departed at 945 . . . passengers with connections had already deplaned, so they must have stayed at the gate, and that's why there's a gate shortage presumably.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
had the same issue on Thursday night coming into SFO - departing plane at the gate had issue with baggage and we sat for 40 min on the tarmac
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt; AMEX Plat; Hertz
Same thing that rickg523 describes happened to me in May.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Fault of a “gate availability” delay

My flight, UA2363 from SFO to DTW, was delayed for what the app calls “airport gate availability”?

Is this indicative of something that is beyond UA’s control, or not necessarily? I’m asking for complaint/compensation reasons.

As background info, note that whatever baggage issue is going on at SFO seems to be the root cause. Not sure if that’s a UA issue specifically or caused by other parts of SFO.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously, not an isolated incident.
Seems advisable to pad your cxn time coming into or going out of SFO.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
UA 999 (EWR-BRU) today also had the same message.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My flight, UA2363 from SFO to DTW, was delayed for what the app calls “airport gate availability”?

Is this indicative of something that is beyond UA’s control, or not necessarily? I’m asking for complaint/compensation reasons. ....

An hour 33 delay in departure and an hour 4 min delay in arrival, not going to get anything -- maybe a few miles for squeaky wheel if you have UA status. UA does not routinely delay comp except for 4 hours or more, occansional for 3-4 hours. under 3, nada
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
6 hour layover after my delayed flight from PVG to SFO. It was a 4 hour crew rest delay and we missed our 11AM connection.

When I got to OC, bags were nowhere to be found. Turns out that they’re loaded on the next flight from SFO. Since all of our clothes and stuff is in the bags from our 3 week vacation, we’re killing time eating in n out until it arrives.

I get that there are delays, but surely 6 hours would be enough time to get the bags to the right plane

They offered to deliver, but it would’nt show up until the middle of the night
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by rickg523
Obviously, not an isolated incident.
Seems advisable to pad your cxn time coming into or going out of SFO.
Sadly, this is always necessary.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
UA 999 (EWR-BRU) today also had the same message.
I've been seeing a lot of "awaiting gate" delays at EWR the past few weeks.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Seems like everytime I fly into LAX there is the gate issue. When the "penalty box" is full (that what ATC calls it) they will just spin you around on taxi ways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.