Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Watering down SDC for a credit card benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watering down SDC for a credit card benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:46 pm

Bad Bad Bad. This GS isn't renewing next year due to these terrible trends at United.

SDC seems to be going to literal same day. The app is showing that, this flyer emphasizes

What's with a 30k saver domestic award? ... totally not worth it.

I'm glad that I at least feel the savings of only spending $15k this year instead of $45k. United saved a few bucks on me in costs, but lost $30k of premium fare revenue (but they did get 3x US-Asia tickets at $450 each, versus last year when I spent $5k/ticket)
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by deskover54
Bad Bad Bad. This GS isn't renewing next year due to these terrible trends at United.
WHAT trends? This is a survey for potential changes to a credit card that will almost certainly never exist as per the screenshot of that blog. The blogger who posted it almost certainly knows this, but thinks they can get more clicks by pushing it as a change. (FWIW, his post following this one is a 750 word piece on why airlines should allow gambling on-board)

The wording for the SDC entry is simplified, and realistically all it's saying is that with this card option you'd get free SDC (rather than having to pay $75 for it, a figure it explicitly calls out). There is NOTHING here that even implies United has any plans to change their SDC rules. This benefit has been called "Same Day" change for years, but has allowed changes to the prior or next day ever since the merger - to read into a credit card description put together by some credit card marketing/research person that they are going to change it to truly be "same day" is beyond crazy...

The fact that UA is asking their customers what benefits they are interested in for a credit card is a good thing IMHO. Of course, change most likely means that some people will lose out - but at least they are looking for feedback.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Hope I'm wrong, but between this and something else I noticed a couple of weeks ago, which I don't want to get into here yet, I predict 2020 will be the last year of United's (full) PQD waivers for spending $25,000+ on United CCs and for members using a foreign address.

When does United traditionally announce program changes? Q3 or Q4?
am1108 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
WHAT trends? This is a survey for potential changes to a credit card that will almost certainly never exist as per the screenshot of that blog. The blogger who posted it almost certainly knows this, but thinks they can get more clicks by pushing it as a change. (FWIW, his post following this one is a 750 word piece on why airlines should allow gambling on-board)

The wording for the SDC entry is simplified, and realistically all it's saying is that with this card option you'd get free SDC (rather than having to pay $75 for it, a figure it explicitly calls out). There is NOTHING here that even implies United has any plans to change their SDC rules. This benefit has been called "Same Day" change for years, but has allowed changes to the prior or next day ever since the merger - to read into a credit card description put together by some credit card marketing/research person that they are going to change it to truly be "same day" is beyond crazy...

The fact that UA is asking their customers what benefits they are interested in for a credit card is a good thing IMHO. Of course, change most likely means that some people will lose out - but at least they are looking for feedback.
SDC: 12 mos ago, you could SDC almost any routing within 24 hours. Super flexible. First, they tightened the restrictions on routing, then the app no longer allows you to go to next day even within 24 hours. I also had an issue this week it wouldn't let me go from a nonstop to a connecting flight. I had to call in and it got done an once it was a connection, then it offered other connections. Wasted 20 mins of my life. I value this benefit highly. I was able to spend 12 hours at a connection point to take care of some business, but I don't like having to make a phone call

F/J meals: pathetic - has gone downhill so much. I just can't get myself to fork over $5k for the disgusting J food

T conversion - now restricted to myself or if I travel. Well, I used to use my miles to send my mom and brother on trips and it required T-->XN-->PN. Now that they've done away with it, my tickets have gone from J/C/D/Z/P-->W-->PN or J/C/D/Z/P-->G. The T-->XN was probably the biggest factor in me deciding not re-qualify for GS next year.

Phone wait time: 12 mos ago, it was never more than 15 seconds. Lately, every call has been 1-3 mins. When you're running through an airport and trying to get things done quickly, that time is precious

I could go on, but if you don't see the trends, then I'm afraid you might need some glasses.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist

SDC seems to be going to literal same day. The app is showing that, this flyer emphasizes
If you haven’t complained to Global Services and Web Support about the app change, I’d encourage you to do so.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by getagb

If you haven’t complained to Global Services and Web Support about the app change, I’d encourage you to do so.
I'm pretty sure they don't care what I think. By this time last year, I had spent $30k. This year I've spent $14k with only $1k more booked for the rest of the year (and all my travel remainder of the year is likely G fares). If they don't care about the dramatic decrease in revenue, they certainly don't care what I think about the app.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I'm pretty sure they don't care what I think. By this time last year, I had spent $30k. This year I've spent $14k with only $1k more booked for the rest of the year (and all my travel remainder of the year is likely G fares). If they don't care about the dramatic decrease in revenue, they certainly don't care what I think about the app.
You might be right that United doesn't care, but if one is only going to complain in one place, it makes far more sense to complain to United than it does to complain here.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Complaining to them takes about the same amount of time as complaining here. I would think you have a somewhat greater chance of actually causing change by talking to UA. It may feel better to vent here, of course

I am not a SDC expert or frequent user, but I would suspect a bug is more likely the cause than a secret change of policy (Hanlon’s Razor).
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I am not a SDC expert or frequent user, but I would suspect a bug is more likely the cause than a secret change of policy (Hanlon’s Razor).
Given that the app is allowing SDC of CPU'ed flights directly into first (rather than economy as it used to/should do), I'd be fairly certain the issues with the app and SDC are indeed unintended.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by docbert
Given that the app is allowing SDC of CPU'ed flights directly into first (rather than economy as it used to/should do), I'd be fairly certain the issues with the app and SDC are indeed unintended.
SDCing directly into first is allowed (both on app and via agent) if the underlying economy fare class is available and PN/PZ is open.

I submitted a complaint via https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...lt.aspx?POS=US and encourage others to do so as well.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by getagb
SDCing directly into first is allowed (both on app and via agent) if the underlying economy fare class is available and PN/PZ is open.
If agents are allowing people to keep CPUs via SDC, that's a new change, and not one I welcome at all. It's bad enough that the app does it.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
If agents are allowing people to keep CPUs via SDC, that's a new change, and not one I welcome at all. It's bad enough that the app does it.
Why don’t you like it if the underlying upgradable bucket is open?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
isn’t free unlimited SDC consistently voted as the best MP feature in the annual FT member survey?

i might not requalify as gold next year because of a job change. i would certainly switch my MP explorer card to this card if i become a general member; i use SDC on the majority of my trips.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jp12687
Why don’t you like it if the underlying upgradable bucket is open?
PZ is not sufficient to clear a CPU.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
PZ is not sufficient to clear a CPU.
Precisely. You jump ahead of everyone else on the CPU list, regardless of your status.

In theory, it would also make it possible to do things like SDC LAX-ORD-DCA, with a CPU on both segments, to LAX-EWR-DCA. If I were hanging out on the LAX-EWR upgrade list with an RPU applied, I'd be none too happy about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.