Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR reopened after shutdown; UA 2098 emergency landing; expect delays 29 June 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
EWR Runway Waiver posted: 29-June-19-thru-30-June-19

Print Wikipost

EWR reopened after shutdown; UA 2098 emergency landing; expect delays 29 June 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Wow, glad everyone is safe. Kind of concerning ... second incident in such a short period of time and UA is down another aircraft in an already tight situation, that can’t be good.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA
Just talked to someone on the plane. He said he could not tell if an announcement was made that there was an emergency, he didnt hear any announcement to prepare for landing, either. He said, he felt some real bad turbulence (that was actually the landing) and then the first thing he hears is..."Get off the plane now!", using the slides. He said people were trying to take carryons on the slides. Glad everyone is okay. He says theyre in a United Club waiting on a new flight. If no announcement was made to the pax prior to landing, or the attendents didnt wake up the pax to ensure they were ready for it, it must have been a reasonably serious.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Curious about the decision to evacuate on the runway. Doesn’t look like a rough landing and doesn’t look like a fire danger. But then I’m not an expert
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
Just talked to someone on the plane. He said he could not tell if an announcement was made that there was an emergency, he didnt hear any announcement to prepare for landing, either. He said, he felt some real bad turbulence (that was actually the landing) and then the first thing he hears is..."Get off the plane now!", using the slides. He said people were trying to take carryons on the slides. Glad everyone is okay. He says theyre in a United Club waiting on a new flight. If no announcement was made to the pax prior to landing, or the attendents didnt wake up the pax to ensure they were ready for it, it must have been a reasonably serious.
Don't FAs yell brace in an emergency landing? At the very least, passengers should have been told to raise seats backs, put away tray tables, and fasten seat belts tight. FAs should also have tried to pick up breakable service items and secure carts, etc. to the extent that there was time to do so.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Travel Waiver: Newark Runway Conditions (June 29-30, 2019)

Rebook by July 3, 2019.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx#ExceptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (not yet posted): 1+

David

Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At the very least, passengers should have been told to raise seats backs, put away tray tables, and fasten seat belts tight. FAs should also have tried to pick up breakable service items and secure carts, etc. to the extent that there was time to do so.
The plane had only just taken off from LGA.

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Curious about the decision to evacuate on the runway. Doesn’t look like a rough landing and doesn’t look like a fire danger. But then I’m not an expert
Apparently a couple of tires popped during the landing.
dinoscool3 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Don't FAs yell brace in an emergency landing? At the very least, passengers should have been told to raise seats backs, put away tray tables, and fasten seat belts tight. FAs should also have tried to pick up breakable service items and secure carts, etc. to the extent that there was time to do so.
i would assign almost zero value to the first-hand report if he thinks at first he’s feeling severe turbulence only for it to be landing. Doesn’t seem to be terribly aware of the situation.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Imstevek
Doesn’t seem to be terribly aware of the situation.
That's what you get for having all window shades up!
notquiteaff and ryw like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:37 am

Since some backlashed two weeks ago when I posted about seeing a UA flight landing at SWF I looked online first when I saw a UA flight at SWF today. Even saw a EK 777 which is almost as good as the A380 last year that landed.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Imstevek

i would assign almost zero value to the first-hand report if he thinks at first he’s feeling severe turbulence only for it to be landing. Doesn’t seem to be terribly aware of the situation.
My friend isnt a sophisticated or frequent flyer. He doesnt know enough about air travel to understand the significance (if any) of what he was saying, so at least for me, it was pretty credible. In other words, he wouldnt know enough about the process to make up a story. He's not upset or anything. I asked him several times...really first thing you knew was the landing? He said yea. Being on an early Saturday morning flight, I bet most of the plane was dozing or resting their eyes. I would have expected that, given time, the FA would have awoken pax so they could take off heels, secure jewelry, etc.

CNN has a story quoting another passenger who was fully alert saying "we were flying really low after takeoff, and then, we just landed". It seems to me that the other passenger appeared to be surprised that there was an emergency or a landing as well.

As far as I can tell, none of this means UA did anything wrong, but I did think the lack of effective communication was interesting or may have pointed to a more serious concern on this emergency than it turned out to be.

He said to not even be aware of a landing, then have the first communication that he heard was..."Get off the plane, Now!" made for an interesting Saturday morning.

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Jun 29, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They started descending a little over 3 minutes after take-off. I'd be fairly sure the FA's never got out of their seats, let alone carts/etc.

That said, I'd be amazed if there wasn't at least an announcement that they were returning and to prepare for landing.

UA2098 is back in the air and due to arrive into IAH ~5 hours late - obviously on a different aircraft.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by mduell
Looks like UAL1591 was the last one in, but no idea if they're the emergency.
I was on 2427 from CLT and pulled out of final approach right above Oak Island Yard to divert to ABE. Returned EWR at1140. I estimate 75% of C gates were open
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
They started descending a little over 3 minutes after take-off. I'd be fairly sure the FA's never got out of their seats, let alone carts/etc.

That said, I'd be amazed if there wasn't at least an announcement that they were returning and to prepare for landing.

UA2098 is back in the air and due to arrive into IAH ~5 hours late - obviously on a different aircraft.
Its entirely possible there was an announcement, but whatever it was, it wasnt very effective. Ill have to call him and ask what they did with the carry ons left on the plane. Curious as to how that is handled.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by docbert

So, if all were properly seated for takeoff and 3 minutes later they land at EWR, why does there need to be an announcement? They weren't returning to LGA.

David
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DELee
So, if all were properly seated for takeoff and 3 minutes later they land at EWR, why does there need to be an announcement? They weren't returning to LGA.
They landed more than 15 minutes after takeoff.

By 15 minutes into a flight you've got numerous people with reclined seats, try tables down, etc, plus people starting to get out of their seats to get their laptops or go to the restrooms (even with the seatbelt sign on). For an emergency landing it's also normally SOP to have ALL electronics/etc put away (including phones/tablets), and potentially to remind people about the brace position.

Not making at least some form of announcement would be a major miss on the part of the cabin crew.
notquiteaff and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.