Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:29 pm

for what it's worth, it might be just bad luck on my part, but i've found that in general i get better fares from new haven by simply buying separate tickets for the amtrak and continental portions. so in that sense, the codeshare agreement isn't actually helping me.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Online checkin doesn't check you in for the Amtrak segments. I know for a fact that one of the people with problems used online checkin. The problem wasn't with the immediately following Amtrak segment, it was with the return.
Used online checkin yes, but did that person pick up the Amtrak ticket from a Quik-trak machine? If not, that might have been the red-flag for CO.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:05 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Dumb question I should know the answer to. Can one use an AMTRAK ticket on NJ transit? I beleive it is OK.

Ed
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vulcan
Dumb question I should know the answer to. Can one use an AMTRAK ticket on NJ transit? I beleive it is OK.

Ed
actually, i don't think so. i could be wrong. i grew up in the Garden State and have taken NJ Transit countless times. I have never seen anyone use an Amtrak ticket. I don't think they have reciprocity.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:28 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Amtrak WILL take NJ transit Monthly and I think, weekly, commuter tickets, at least from Princeton Junction to NY Penn. I used to commute and the Amtrak trains were always faster, smoother, and quieter. I occasionally made it from NYC to Princeton Junction in under 50 minutes on some of the Amtrak 'Clocker" trains.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:34 pm

I should point out that on FC tickets purchased with the ZFV code as the departure place CO books your ticket in the business class car of the Amtrak train.

I use ZWI frequently and when I purchase FC I am always placed in the Business Class car.

Dan
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz Pres
FYI, Amtrak has different luggage policies

Just an FYI, on Nov 1st, Amtrak instituted a luggage policy where passengers are allowed 2 pieces of luggage up to 50 lbs each and 1 "personal" item. So in case you happen to be traveling with a lot of stuff, you may need to re-consider the train option.

On Friday I flew back from Australia into Philadephia(due to FF miles). I had 2 larger bags and 2 small bags. Wasn't sure how picky the agents were going to be(not to mention it was probably crowded for the Thanksgiving day holiday weekend), so I opted to rent a car from the airport and drive home to NYC. After flying for 20+ hours, I did not feel like dealing with an anal agent at the train station.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:50 pm

I just completed a ZFV-originating itinerary with a companion.

A few notes:
  • I was able to split the res after booking it just like usual, and got my elite upgrade on the ex-EWR flight segment and a companion upgrade.
  • I got SSSSed both ways. I think it was just random, though, since my companion didn't get SSSSed and she was booked on the same itin--originally on the same PNR. (The split didn't trigger SSSS, either, since a similar non-ZFV split a couple months ago failed to trigger SSSS.) FWIW, this was my first SSSS in at least a year, and I've flown a steady mix of NW/KL/CO flights.
  • We were able to get our outbound Amtrak tickets issued at a station other than ZFV a day ahead of time, but it was tricky. PM me for details.
  • The return Amtrak tickets issued at the EWR QuikTrak machine no problem and the booth operator let us through the Airtrain turnstiles immediately when we showed her the Amtrak tickets.
  • None of CO's or Amtrak's airport/train-station/telephone agents seem to have any clue about the other partner's operations. All inquiries regarding train segments (including reservation numbers) should be directed to Amtrak and should avoid referring to the CO origins of your tickets. Words like "codeshare" and "Continental" only confuse Amtrak employees.

Also, we had our NW WP numbers on the itineraries and received credit for the CO-op'ed segs. But both of us have old CO OP accounts, so I'm thinking about sending in the Amtrak stubs to CO to ask them for OP credit for the train segs (as stated above, no NW WP credit for Amtrak-operated segs). It's only 250 miles/seg, but that's 500 more miles for each of us to keep our old CO accounts alive. Hopefully it'll work.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Whats the best way after arriving at the PHIL train station to get to the Phil airport to make my conection out of Phil?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by chasbondy
Whats the best way after arriving at the PHIL train station to get to the Phil airport to make my conection out of Phil?
Take the airport high speed rail line to the airport. The official name is SEPTA R1. Details can be found here: http://www.septa.com/service/pdfs/R1Airport.pdf
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Septa (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority) has regular rail service directly into the airport from the 30th Street Station. You should be able to get the schedule somewhere on the web.

Whoops, xyzzy was quicker with more information than I had. I've only taken it a couple of times.

Last edited by monitor; Jan 10, 2005 at 3:37 pm
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Quik-Trak machines

Does anyone know if there are any of these machines in the CO term @EWR. Or must we make our way over to the station in order to get the tkt and check-in?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by craz
Does anyone know if there are any of these machines in the CO term @EWR. Or must we make our way over to the station in order to get the tkt and check-in?
I've never seen a Quik-Trak machine at EWR other than at the rail station.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:21 am
Suspended

xyzzy, Thanks for the reply. I will allow myself some time to get to an Amtrak station that has one before my return flight to EWR. As I want to have tkt in hand.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Dumb question I should know the answer to. Can one use an AMTRAK ticket on NJ transit? I believe it is OK.

Ed
No it is not. The NJTransit conductor will either ask you to detrain at the next station or will more than happy to charge you for a one-way NJTransit ticket.

Amtrak WILL take NJ transit Monthly and I think, weekly, commuter tickets, at least from Princeton Junction to NY Penn. I used to commute and the Amtrak trains were always faster, smoother, and quieter. I occasionally made it from NYC to Princeton Junction in under 50 minutes on some of the Amtrak 'Clocker' trains.
NJTransit monthly and weekly passes are ONLY good on the four morning Amtrak Clocker trains (622, 624, 628, and 640) and four evening Clocker trains (653, 627, 629, and 633) that are in the NJTransit schedule. You can also get the Clocker trains in Trenton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.