Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United Have Policy Against Providing Milk to Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond

Was in Premium Economy from LHR-SFO yesterday. A passenger next to me asked for a coffee with a small cup of milk on the side (I presume so she could regulate the amount of milk in her coffee). The FA said that it was not allowed. Is this actually UA policy? If there is a policy that passengers cannot drink milk as a beverage option, why not simply give the passenger the same amount of milk in a cup that would be allowed under the approved milk allocation per coffee. We gave each other a look and laughed as the FA was out of sight and went to the next rows.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Suspect the real issue is the limited amount of milk catered.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
They only have like 1 or 2 of those small cartons (and it's not even "real" milk). I asked the same for a toddler...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by pinerd
They only have like 1 or 2 of those small cartons. I asked the same for a toddler...
This crazy policy goes back a long way. I was on a PanAm (yes, PanAm) flight back in 1985 which was delayed by several hours with the pax held on the plane. One couple had a screaming baby and had run out of milk for him/her. They asked the FA for a small carton and were told, it was reserved strictly for coffee. It was horrendous.

I'm sure the airline's answer is that while their stocks of juice, soda, booze, etc. don't expire, milk has a limited shelf life and they would end up throwing a lot of it away. But the solution seems to be to stock cartons of ultra-pasturized, long shelf life milk that lasts for about a year unopened. At least then if the kid doesn't like it, the airline doesn't look like an a__ for denying it altogether.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
...If there is a policy that passengers cannot drink milk as a beverage option, why not simply give the passenger the same amount of milk in a cup that would be allowed under the approved milk allocation per coffee....
Did your neighbor request to be allowed to add the milk herself to the coffee? Or was it only a choice of separate cup or no satisfaction?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
My wife often asks for milk, and has never had a problem. In fact, she had milk to drink on our flight last week FCO-IAD.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Hmm.. how would you get a White Russian beverage?
SFHokie likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Suspect the real issue is the limited amount of milk catered.
I would expect the same. Except if it's a Mr. Pillows flight - and then only if he's willing to share.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
My wife often asks for milk, and has never had a problem. In fact, she had milk to drink on our flight last week FCO-IAD.
Ditto.. I've never had an issue, and have seen FAs come around with a tray of milk to go with the cookies on domestic flights.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last time I had cereal for breakfast in F it was served with a small (unopened) carton of milk.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by seenitall
I'm sure the airline's answer is that while their stocks of juice, soda, booze, etc. don't expire, milk has a limited shelf life and they would end up throwing a lot of it away.
For international flights like this was there's the added complication that many countries require many types of 'food', including many dairy products, to be destroyed on entry to the country.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:21 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Hmm.. how would you get a White Russian beverage?
bare minimum half and half, preferably cream. One uses far less in a glass, filled with us and only as a mixer than a glass without ice and only the dairy product. I’m betting they have plenty of individual half and half’s, not so many quarts of milk
artvandalay and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
When in F and they serve the muffin top for breakfast or a cookie or similar scone as an arrival snack, I specifically ask for a glass of milk. And get it.

Another approach may be to request additional milk after meal service with coffee and have the FA do the pour. And, if you head to the galley midflight there are usually different FAs who will likely provide additional milk as requested.

David
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Ask for coffee with milk, hold the coffee.
Exec_Plat likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:44 pm

I've flown four segments on UA this week and now issues getting a cup of milk on each segment.

I am guessing this is a YMMV situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.