Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United Have Policy Against Providing Milk to Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does United Have Policy Against Providing Milk to Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Several years ago, I sat next to someone (in E+) who asked for milk and was told no, even though he could see it sitting on the cart. The FA opened Hemispheres magazine to the back section showing the drinks available onboard and pointed out that milk is not listed. She said the milk is only for coffee and tea. He didn't like the answer but accepted it and had water instead.

JK-SFO
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Just to note, what happens in F (with milk being catered for breakfast cereal, etc.) is not necessarily what happens in Y -- where it often seems like milk is only catered as an additive to coffee.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA1K
Not going to lie, part of me now wants to ask for milk on every flight even if I don't want it, just to see what I'm told.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Did your neighbor request to be allowed to add the milk herself to the coffee? Or was it only a choice of separate cup or no satisfaction?
She mentioned that she wanted to add the milk herself to the coffee and that was why she asked for the small cup of milk. The FA never offered to hand her the container to do so herself.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I admit it, I love milk! I ask for it on morning flights all the time. I would say about 50%+ they only have it, even in F for coffee. I have resided to buying in a store before I board if I really want it.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
For international flights like this was there's the added complication that many countries require many types of 'food', including many dairy products, to be destroyed on entry to the country.
True. The US requires pretty well all food to be destroyed on entry to the country, but it's not limited to milk, so any remaining milk could go into the same process as the left over food. And milk would cost less than many of the other drinks provided foc.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JK-SFO
Several years ago, I sat next to someone (in E+) who asked for milk and was told no, even though he could see it sitting on the cart. The FA opened Hemispheres magazine to the back section showing the drinks available onboard and pointed out that milk is not listed. She said the milk is only for coffee and tea. He didn't like the answer but accepted it and had water instead.

JK-SFO
I have seen the same thing happen to families asking for milk for toddlers in economy, but mostly the refusal has been done without any reference to the in-flight magazine. The cabin crew seemed to want to keep the limited supply of the milk for the coffee and tea.

Want lots of milk on the plane? Then it’s buy it yourself on the ground — McDs airside sell it too and Starbucks can be generous to young kids — either as regular milk or perhaps even perhaps as powdered milk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.